Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253 5455565763 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/18/2009 5:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Traditional Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believed that weight training makes Your kung-fu weak and stiff. Also that BJJ is an acronym for a sophisticated blow-job :)

Posted On:
    8/18/2009 8:56pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon I was talking about how good it was with a work colleague who was Chinese. I inadvertently made the racist statement, "And they believe they can really do that flying and ****", he cocked his head to the side and said, "they?" like I had just insulted his heritage, shat on his father and had sex with his mother. I had meant martial artists of the LARPing kind, so I said, a tad too weakly as the realisation of what it sounded like dawned on me, "you know, martial artists" (LARPing was not in my vernacular at that stage). He seemed appeased, which is good because all Chinese are Kung Fu masters.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 3:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is hilarious. I used to believe a lot of the stuff mentioned here.

I never thought wrestling was weak though. I remember watching them train. I play wrestled with some of the people on the team and as strong as I was, the good wrestlers had no problem with me.

I didn't read about why the side kick to the knee thing doesn't work. Can someone please explain why it isn't effective?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 4:12pm

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone used to believe just because someone had the title of "Grandmaster" they were automatically hot ****? I used to think that as a noobie in TKD. Then I learned of all the BS'ers who give themselves the title. It still makes me doubt about a lot of them though even the ones that are certified rank GM's because you never see them in action, no photos, no videos to prove they can actually move. The only one I don't doubt is my old grandmaster who kicked my butt and everyone else's in sparring like we were a bunch of 5 years sparring against him. I suspect Jhoon Rhee is legit based on kicking photos I've seen, but other than that I doubt everyone else now.

I no longer think any of the Hollywood martial arts are all that great. And I quit believing Kung Fu artists could fly and that there really are Ninjas that turn invisible.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 4:17pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich17 View Post
    I didn't read about why the side kick to the knee thing doesn't work. Can someone please explain why it isn't effective?
    Because the knee is very small and moves a lot? It's also round, which makes it hard to hit it flush. Usually just glances off, I'd say.

I've only ever seen Anderson Silva (I think?) do a good job of it, and even then the knee didn't fold in half like in the movies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW- I hate being such a doubting Thomas, but between all the BS and the cults I've encountered I no longer trust anyone who boasts of anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusdbrutus View Post
    Because the knee is very small and moves a lot? It's also round, which makes it hard to hit it flush. Usually just glances off, I'd say.

I've only ever seen Anderson Silva (I think?) do a good job of it, and even then the knee didn't fold in half like in the movies.
    You mean even from the side of knee kicking it won't do much damage? Then why do I know a guy who swears his knee was destroyed in baseball when another kid struck him in the knee with their foot?

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 4:27pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wohali View Post
    You mean even from the side of knee kicking it won't do much damage? Then why do I know a guy who swears his knee was destroyed in baseball when another kid struck him in the knee with their foot?
    Probably because the kid with the fucked knee was standing in a crouched position at a base, focusing on the ball, while the other kid was diving feet first at the base.

A) It's easy to blindside someone when they're guarding a base.
    B) You'd be hard pressed to attempt a double-legged drop kick at someone's knee in a fight, and not have them see it coming a mile away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 4:38pm

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It's not that it isn't effective, but it's not a holy **** knee breaker like people claim, even when it lands completely flush. As a standoff weapon like how Cung Le and A. Silva use it, it works well enough. And hey, you might just get a freak knee break some of the time, but a regular old roundhouse is more likely to damage the knee from what I've seen.

Exhibit A:
    (That's jardine's bum knee and he still finished the 1.5 rounds left in the fight)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably because the kid with the fucked knee was standing in a crouched position at a base, focusing on the ball, while the other kid was diving feet first at the base.

A) It's easy to blindside someone when they're guarding a base.
    B) You'd be hard pressed to attempt a double-legged drop kick at someone's knee in a fight, and not have them see it coming a mile away.
    Double-legged drop kick? In Hapkido the instructors always told us that just a half way decent sidekick to side of knee was enough to disable an attacker.