Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 3:35pm

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofSpiridonov View Post

I seriously considered suing my current JJJ dojo when i was a noob and found out we sparred full/rolled contact
    Really? What was your rationale behind that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2009 11:13pm

Style: Learning BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first discovered MMA on TV, I thought that the fighters had to be nut cases, psychopaths, borderline retarded, and unable to make a living any other way, and that most of them would be in prison if they did not have this barely legal outlet for their unremittingly aggressive natures. I was truly surprised at the general level of intelligence and self possession that the fighters displayed in interviews on subsequent shows.

(Non-essential anecdote: One of the first fighters I saw interviewed in a documentary, Dateline or something like it, was Uriah Faber on his way up, before he was even a contender. I was amazed that he seemed like a normal guy who could turn violence on and off at will, and fight like that without hatred or rage. This was probably five years ago and I didn't remember his name, but Uriah has a fairly distinctive chin so I recognized him as soon as I discovered the WEC on Versus on the new cable TV system.)

Before I started training jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai earlier this year, I expected that many of my fellow students would be cocky, aggressive, macho types who would beat up noobs in class to feed their own egos. Maybe I was blessed to stumble into a great school on my first try, but the guys that I roll with are a humble, helpful, and altogether mellow bunch. (Not to say that I don't get beat up, but I'm finding that is a key part of my learning process.)

Oh, and I kind of believed that The Karate Kid was plausible, that whole wax on-wax off, standing on one leg on the scenic coast while meditating at sunset would prepare one to deal with the Cobra Kai bullies. And get the nice girl ...

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 10:34am

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    Just effective technique. I used to beleive in Chi energy, chakras,

Acttually, the body does have certain pressure points that I think some can call chakra and chi flow e.t.c, the silly thing is that people think they can shoot chi from thier hands or somethnig,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 4:19pm

Style: Transitioning as usual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my share of bad misconceptions when I was a kid, 70s and 80s MA and Bruce Lee flicks were largely the source, furthered by early 90s beat em ups and Street Fighter games.

However, my biggest upset will probably be that running on the beach and doing "nature workouts" vs Gym-routine seems to only have been effectively used by Rocky and Fedor, to some extent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 5:08pm

Style: Hybrid Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatrugbyguy View Post
    Really? What was your rationale behind that?
    I didnt know **** about Martial Arts and couldnt take a punch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2009 9:55pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krat0s View Post
    Acttually, the body does have certain pressure points that I think some can call chakra and chi flow e.t.c, the silly thing is that people think they can shoot chi from their hands or something,
    This may be a bit of a digression but scientific studies have shown acupuncture to work better than a placebo. Also all forms of meditation have been shown to have health benefits for body and mind. However Chi is supposed to be an invisible energy that flows through all life. There is nothing to suggest it exists, but it is touted by mystics of the east as the explanation for why their alternative medicines and therapies work (whether or not that's the case).

Chinese medicine involves meridians, portals on the body that can be stimulated to allow chi to flow better. The western explanation that I have seen on TV newscasts sees it more as stimulating nerves that lead back to the central nervous system and brain, and trigger release of endorphins. These endorphins have all kinds of effects and I am not sure what is known about how they affect other body functions.

Chakras, I think, are accepted by chinese medicine but not used as widely. Chakras are more of a Yoga thing (Indian origin). The ideas behind Chakras sound similar to chi and meridians except they involve other phenomenon with no evidence (aside from personal testimonials). Chakra theories seem to incorporate the idea of separate dimensions, eg. astral, etheric, etc. in which energies flow. From what I have read of Kundalini Yoga, the Chakras are opened through meditation leading to a kind of enlightenment (not the same as buddhist enlightenment). What I have read abot it had more to do with spirituality than physical healing.

As is obvious I used to find eastern mysticism quite enchanting. My mind is still open to the idea that there may be something to the kundalini stuff. however I am not as apt to put stock in flow of energy. (Penn & Teller helped get the bullox out of my head on that one with their episode on Feng Shui, some other bullshit I used to believe in).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 10:01am

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to think anyone that had a MA school was legit. Then I learned about this site and found out how rampart MA fraud is in the US. Thank you Bullshido for showing me the truth ^_^.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2009 6:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That a black belt meant anything, at least in Karate.

Posted On:
    7/17/2009 12:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by winnersguard View Post
    To be a true martial artist you had to learn the ninja walk.
    Yep, me to.
    I was also told yoko aruki would improve my punching. and believed it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2009 11:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once believed training in the martial arts "instilled a sense of humility and respect for one's fellow man". Then in about grade 8 I saw this Korean TKD guy lunge fist first over a cafeteria table at someone talking trash. I saw this same dude involved in other fights, and at some stage he was practically bragging about someone he beat "half dead" a few years back. I sort of changed my mind after that.

OK, so TKD doesn't solve behavioural/anger problems in kids. But I think we can all agree the MA has produced quite a few egos and bullies we've met at some point, even as adults.

That and... deadly ninjas who can land from a high height onto solid ground and not be injured, and (my cousin did TKD for about 15 years) breaking brittle boards with your hands and feet means you can break someone's bones, etc, with strikes. Cos immobile brittle pieces of wood are SOO indicative of a dynamic human body.

Impressive stuff in movies by Jackie Chan and Jet Li is indicative of their butt kicking ability in real life...

Thats about it.