Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 7:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox
    Emm, I believe there is such a thing as fighting tai-chi,. I think they usually romanise it as taijiquan. It's got striking and standing grappling, and looks like a cross between Muay Thai and no-gi Judo. Several people on these boards do it, so you should probably ask them about it, if you want more info.
    Yah -- I've heard of it, but have yet to come across someone who actually teaches it around here. EDIT: Which is to say, I've heard of a couple around here who turned out to be complete BS artists, and therefore assumed the whole idea was BS.

However, I'm glad to hear it might NOT be a loat of crap. The idea sounds cool. Besides, anything that looks like a cross between MT and no-gi Judo could be interesting, though, so I'll have to poke around and see who actually knows something about it :)
    Last edited by inarizushi; 2/11/2009 8:07am at .

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 10:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isnīt sanda just tai chi with aliveness?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 10:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin
    ...and fewer retirees?

Stupid things I used to believe about Martial Arts redux:

Only retirees do tai chi.

EDIT: I just realized I probably just opened to door to having my ass handed to me by retirees who could break me in half in person. Fire away. I deserve whatever I get. :new_tomat
    Last edited by inarizushi; 2/11/2009 10:40am at .

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin
    Sanda is a form of competition for kung-fu in general.

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 4:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ass-Whippings

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G3JKD View Post
    Alright It's not alot but It's not pretty either.

Circa 2 yrs old
    I Used to think that you could pull off Liu Kang's Bicycle Kick if you practiced enough.
    Circa 5-6-7 yrs old
    I Used to think that If you did the stance Scorpion Does in MK the movie and if you thought hard enough you could actually call upon some snake thing to come out of your hand.
    Circa 10 yrs old
    I Used to think that if you ran towards a wall jumped off it then kicked your opponent in the head you would knock them out.

But one thing I disagree with is everyone that said " I used to think Bruce Lee was the be MA ever " . I Believe he is and always will be. How is he not? Nobody had 0% body fat or beat the **** out of the number of challengers he had to in HK and probably USA too. No lame assed UFC douche could be half the man Bruce was. Period. In Fact the only thing that COULD beat him would be either bullet or asprin. ( the latter of which did in fact do so ).
    I caught me a live one here, boys ! :listen:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 6:53pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to think that:

My karate classes when I was little would eventually give me the ability to take out street brawlers in one hit.

That even though I always knew any Ninjitsu schools here in the US were fake, I always thought it was because the real schools were hidden in remote areas of Japan rather than the fact Ninjitsu is a bunch of BS.

That all boxers were were guys who only knew how to punch correctly, rather than guys who also had superb footwork and endurance.

That Bruce Lee was 'ZOMG b3st f1ght3r ev3r!!11!' Though I still have a lot of respect for him.

When I found out Ninjitsu was a scam, I thought all 'd3d1y' martial arts were a scam. Then I met Silat.

That if you believed in honor in a street fight your opponent would mirror that same respect.

That the adrenaline from an actual confrontation against someone confronting me on the street would be enough to activate my training and carry me to victory, rather than experience with sparring, muscle memory, etc.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Clean View Post
    Karate was developed by Okinawans who weren't allowed to have weapons. Ok, makes sense. JJ was developed by Samurai to defeat armored opponents. Also makes sense. But a spinning jump kick to defeat a camel? Something smells fishy.
    this, friend, is my new signature!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Clean View Post
    Karate was developed by Okinawans who weren't allowed to have weapons. Ok, makes sense. JJ was developed by Samurai to defeat armored opponents. Also makes sense. But a spinning jump kick to defeat a camel? Something smells fishy.

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 7:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USED to believe? I can't believe that Ashida Kim or (insert flake's name here) haven't astrally projected a blast of their momentous ki/chi to smite you all !!!

Really though...as a noob that in the past ocasionally read posts here, keep up the good work. I literally break out laughing reading some of the websites you guys find.

One thing that I always noticed about "traditional" martial arts though (legit schools anyway), I never noticed people having a dozen different 8th dan rankings in everything from Escrima to JKD to Ninjutsu and only being 25 years old...But then again, I've not paid that much attention and must have missed the explosion of nonsensical schools.

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 12:22am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to think that Bullshido was full of uneducated idiots. Then I realised I was the uneducated idiot. So I apologise for my previous noobness in a thrashed thread that'll show up in my post history but will probably be viewed by only a certain few. Please disregard previous posts that indicate any level of LARP and troll. And let me know what LARP stands for... (I get the gist)
    I used to think that Muay Thai was the only stand up art worth studying. Then I took up TKD. Now I know Muay Thai is the only art worth studying.
    I used to think my TKD dojang was not a McDojo. Until I noticed a sign saying "this is a black belt school" and I was coasting along at such a rate that I would be a black belt in two years.
    I used to think that my tackling and rucking skills from being a rugby prop meant that BJJ and wrestling would prove inefficient. My first BJJ class proved otherwise, as well as proving to me that you can actually throw up from training hard in MA.
    I used to think that grappling was boring and consisted of two guys in the missionary position for a few hours, thanks to early UFC.
    I never thought pro-wrestling was real. My over protective parents decided to shatter any chance of imagination by informing me that it was fake before I ever witnessed a show. Which turned out okay cause I then got to shatter other peoples 'realities'. I used to think that pro wrestlers would get smashed by me because they were fake, though.
    I used to think that doing the splits suspended between two chairs meditating with stupid hand signs made me strong. Damn you JCVD.
    I used to think that my experience bar brawling as a drunkard meant I could fight. Damn you again JCVD.
    I used to think that JCVD was the cause of all my MA's problems and ridiculous beliefs, but Bruce Lee must shoulder some of the blame.
    I used to think my jaw was unbreakable until I congratulatorily muttered it to myself and came off my motorbike a couple of days later, shattering it in three places and requiring a metal plate which I now know is unbreakable.
    I used to think that people would read my posts on here without attacking them regarding something stupid, like **** this is a long post...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 9:39am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    larp = live action role play. think dungeons and dragons people in costume swinging plastic swords at each other.

many martial art demonstrations are no different (actually at least the d&d battles aren't compliant)