Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 12:23pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soju_King
    i never really believed this myself, but occasionally i get into arguments with other KMAs about it

qoute:

"The jumping and flying kicks were developed to strike riders mounted on horseback and camels. The jump spinning techniques were also used to strike the horses and camels in the NECK & THROAT, as well as dismount their riders. To be able to destroy at long range with the various kicking techniques gave the Korean Hwarangdo Warriors a distinct advantage over their opponent."

my comeback to that is why the hell would that be neccessary......when there were weapons like the naginata and its Korean equivalent.....i forgot the proper term that was also designed for that purpose.

the rider is gonna see you leaping into the air to throw a kick and smite you down. if the rider doesnt see you first......the horse may sense your intention and movement, granted this may be drowned out in the chaos of the battle.....but more than likely the horse is gonna hoof kick your ass into the dirt. its one of the most silliest things ive heard about high kicks
    Also, you don't need years of training to kick a horse in the throat. I'm guessing they're not trained to dodge kicks.

Yes, a polearm (or naginata or whatever) is must better suited for taking out a mounted soldier.

There are similar war-like settings where the development of martial arts makes sense. Karate was developed by Okinawans who weren't allowed to have weapons. Ok, makes sense. JJ was developed by Samurai to defeat armored opponents. Also makes sense. But a spinning jump kick to defeat a camel? Something smells fishy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 8:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Clean
    Also, you don't need years of training to kick a horse in the throat. I'm guessing they're not trained to dodge kicks.

Yes, a polearm (or naginata or whatever) is must better suited for taking out a mounted soldier.

There are similar war-like settings where the development of martial arts makes sense. Karate was developed by Okinawans who weren't allowed to have weapons. Ok, makes sense. JJ was developed by Samurai to defeat armored opponents. Also makes sense. But a spinning jump kick to defeat a camel? Something smells fishy.
    Also, a warrior in battle would be wearing at least some sort of armor and thus would most likely not be able to jump high enough to strike the rider unless they had a ramp or one of those cool little spring boards that gymnastics kids use.

I love martial arts movies, but a lot of them have deluded the public opinion of what martial arts truly are. If I have a cirlce of guys swarming me, I'm not gonna try to spin around like a top and kick each one of them simultaneously, that's just stupid. Makes for good theater, but death on the street. I would look for a hole or make one and then use my opponents against each other until I could find a safe way out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 2:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by astrobiologist
    I love martial arts movies, but a lot of them have deluded the public opinion of what martial arts truly are. If I have a cirlce of guys swarming me, I'm not gonna try to spin around like a top and kick each one of them simultaneously, that's just stupid. Makes for good theater, but death on the street. I would look for a hole or make one and then use my opponents against each other until I could find a safe way out.
    Unless you're Neo, of course.

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 2:44pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soju_King
    ......the horse may sense your intention and movement, granted this may be drowned out in the chaos of the battle.....but more than likely the horse is gonna hoof kick your ass into the dirt.
    Unless you're him

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 12:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt
    We can dream, can't we? Still, if he ever finds real training he'll eventually undo the damage he's doing to himself now, although it probably won't be free.

Just to recap though, we have totally flogged senseless the fact that you can train in things that actually have negative value for fighting, right? Like endlessly for the last 6 or 7 years, in places that a person could find using the search function or reading the megathreads like a good noob should, right?
    Alright, I've found a school in town that I like that teaches kickboxing (a Western Boxing/Muay Thai blend) and BJJ. Not sure how I'm going to afford it ... maybe I can give up eating, or just be homeless and use my rent money to pay for training.

Anyway, after just 1 day of kickboxing, I can see what you mean. My form is terrible and I worked muscles that went completely ignored in karate. BJJ starts tomorrow ... I guess we'll see how that goes since I have no idea what to expect.

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 1:40am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Expect your forearms to be sore as ****, for one. There's also a high possibility of joint pain in your future.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 9:06am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Clean
    Unless you're Neo, of course.
    There is no spoon...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 12:36pm

Style: mt/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if im correct kung fu is a 4,000 year old combat system
    overtime it started to fall apart and lose elements temples getting attacked
    losing info
    technique going down in generations while alot of info is being lost
    it is hard to find a true kung fu master
    and that is why alot of kung fu students get thier butt kicked in videos

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 8:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I've pretty much spent my entire workday reading this thread, and a few people have riffed on Tai Chi already ... so forgive me if this is redundant.

When I was younger, a guy I knew who had a pretty serious reputation as a badass fighter told me it was because he studied 'fighting' tai chi -- apparently, t3h d34dl1est martial art EVAR!

I believed him.

Then I saw him fight, and realized that he was badass because a) he was strong as hell, b) he hit like a freight train and had a ground game and c) he fought like a short, angry Irish guy with a chip on his shoulder, which he was.

Tai Chi had nothing to do with it.

I was, and remain, ashamed.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/11/2009 7:40am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Emm, I believe there is such a thing as fighting tai-chi,. I think they usually romanise it as taijiquan. It's got striking and standing grappling, and looks like a cross between Muay Thai and no-gi Judo. Several people on these boards do it, so you should probably ask them about it, if you want more info.