Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 11:03am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    I hope you keep that immaturity at Omega's school.
    We can dream, can't we? Still, if he ever finds real training he'll eventually undo the damage he's doing to himself now, although it probably won't be free.

Just to recap though, we have totally flogged senseless the fact that you can train in things that actually have negative value for fighting, right? Like endlessly for the last 6 or 7 years, in places that a person could find using the search function or reading the megathreads like a good noob should, right?
    Last edited by MrGalt; 1/23/2009 11:04am at . Reason: I type poorly

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 7:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or how about the United Studios of Self Defense was actually concerned about teaching you real self defense techniques and it was totally not a McDojo. The things I used to believe, I'm surprised I'm not dead..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 7:45pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chasen47
    Or how about the United Studios of Self Defense was actually concerned about teaching you real self defense techniques and it was totally not a McDojo. The things I used to believe, I'm surprised I'm not dead..
    Yeah, best stay away from that chain.

Apparently, we're not supposed to talk about USSD here, though. Some sort of legal dispute from a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt
    We can dream, can't we? Still, if he ever finds real training he'll eventually undo the damage he's doing to himself now, although it probably won't be free.

Just to recap though, we have totally flogged senseless the fact that you can train in things that actually have negative value for fighting, right? Like endlessly for the last 6 or 7 years, in places that a person could find using the search function or reading the megathreads like a good noob should, right?
    Hmm, I'll take your advice into consideration. Although I enjoy learning kata and some of the other traditional aspects of karate, I don't want to spend the majority of my time doing that. Plus what you said about actually doing damage to myself by learning how to "parry punches" and all that nonsense. At the same time, though, I enjoy it and it's a good workout, so it's tempting to continue for now.

Omega teaches kung fu class a couple times a week ... I guess I could get my fix of traditionalism there while learning the useful stuff in classes like kickboxing and sambo. But ... the money simply isn't there right now. I'm only working part time, and if I get a better-paying job or more hours, I'll be there in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Mr Clean; 1/24/2009 8:03pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 9:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like wise old sage eyebrows white or blonde-haired kid's eyebrows white?[/quote]

Like old kung fu master white eyebrows

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 1:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow did USSD sue or something? Wusses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 2:10am

Style: Shitoryu Karate and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of these have already been posted, but I'll stick them down anyways.

-That Aikido worked, and was a very powerful martial art.
    -That because pro-wrestling was fake, the whole art was useless.
    -That boxing was inferior to other martial arts because you weren't taught to kick.

-While I never believed you could shoot Hadokens, I used to believe that if you became good enough at a martial art, you could sense someone without seeing or hearing them.
    -That while most martial arts were good, TMA's were the best, most notably, karate, TKD and Kung Fu.

-When I was six, I used to believe that karate, kung fu, and Tae Kwon Do were the only REAL martial arts in existance, and that every other REAL martial art was only a subsection of one of those three big ones.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 7:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, little Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -when I did Karate when i was ten i thought turning your wrist with the punches would make your punch stronger.

-I had never heard of something called a grappler.

-a judo player would get knocked out if they faced me.

-1 YEAR AGO i thought judo was for little kids and was useless in a real fight or in a "everything is allowed" competition, and my friends to this day in sweden think that judo is for kids still.

-almost everyone do thaiboxing for fitness or to be good at it and that a "grappler" would just get knocked out. thankfullly some guys realize that MMA is DA **** now.

-everyone did either judo or karate when they were small but nobody ever noticed how many times the "the big guy one year older karate dude" would have suposedly been "judo flipped".

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 11:04pm

Style: Ninja Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to believe some dumb stuff myself, however I do not believe it approaches the ignorance of any of you people.:icon_salu

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 7:46pm

Style: brazillian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Master
    I used to believe some dumb stuff myself, however I do not believe it approaches the ignorance of any of you people.:icon_salu
    well, yesterday at 11:04 p.m., you believed that your post had value.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 8:37am

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i never really believed this myself, but occasionally i get into arguments with other KMAs about it

qoute:

"The jumping and flying kicks were developed to strike riders mounted on horseback and camels. The jump spinning techniques were also used to strike the horses and camels in the NECK & THROAT, as well as dismount their riders. To be able to destroy at long range with the various kicking techniques gave the Korean Hwarangdo Warriors a distinct advantage over their opponent."

my comeback to that is why the hell would that be neccessary......when there were weapons like the naginata and its Korean equivalent.....i forgot the proper term that was also designed for that purpose.

the rider is gonna see you leaping into the air to throw a kick and smite you down. if the rider doesnt see you first......the horse may sense your intention and movement, granted this may be drowned out in the chaos of the battle.....but more than likely the horse is gonna hoof kick your ass into the dirt. its one of the most silliest things ive heard about high kicks