Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 9:34pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    No need to explain yourself nunon, epicurus is just a bitter individual.
    It's like you've known me all my life!

and I didn't know what kakujenbo was, but it sounded easy to pick on.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to believe that with my aikido training I could fight and defeat anywhere from 5 to 10 opponents. I also believed that if anyone pulled a knife on me they were dead meat.

I'm lucky to be alive.

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 9:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some more delusions from my biggest nutriding phase:

Togakure is 2000 years old.

Dressing is black with pants tucked into tabi to look more like ninjer isn't g4y.

Bujinkan is a complete martial art. Not complete bollocks.

An instructor told me that the Gracies won't challenge Nagato because they know they'd lose. I belived him.

Other martial arts all give you bad habits.

Bujinkan is so progressive because we don't do much solo kata and we aren't "stiff" and "rigid" like karate.

Speed and strength are not that important.

The lunge punch is good because it covers more distance than the kick.

The bowing in ceremony isn't silly.

Martial arts all got watered down into either sports or too much kata. Only bujinkan is keeping it real.

Ninjitsu is a martial art, and I was learning some of it.

Doing some extra san-shin and solo kihon in the backyard will get me just a bit closer to being t3h d34dly.

Hatsumi takes his own organisation seriously.

The organisation and its belt system is deliberatly chaotic to teach us personal responsibility.

Sword technique translates to unarmed fighting.

I met a guy I used to go to highschool with and he mentoined that he did kickboxing. I said I did bujinkan. He said he tried bujinkan for a bit but went back to kickboxing becuase the techniques telegraphed (like the lunge punch) and were too complicated to really work. I said "Yeah it takes longer to get good at bujinkan, if you want to get good really quickly do kickboxing." When I later mentioned this to an instructor he said that guy was training with the wrong person.
    Last edited by Virus; 1/25/2007 9:57pm at .

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 10:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to believe that if I ever got into a fight, even though my power, speed, and stamina were crap, I'd probably have a really good chin and be able to take a punch. I mean, how hard can it be to just not fall down when you get clocked?
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 11:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Epicurus, were you a fat kid growing up?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 11:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Epicurus, were you a fat kid growing up?
    Quite the opposite. I was and still am pretty thin and I've only been able to gain any weight in the last few years. Currently I'm 6'1" 180 pounds or so.

When I was little I never stuck with one martial arts class very long and I was a bit of a Japanophile - cut me some slack ;)

My friends studied self-taught capoeira so it isn't like I was in a great environment for MA skills.
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 12:00am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a few capoeira classes as a child...

but they had no bullshido affect on me at all because I legitimately thought they were just some kind of dance class.

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 12:58am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I AM a fat kid. But I'm working on it, y'know ? There's one advantage to my beer belly in Judo and that's my "Smother them from kamishiho" tapout.

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 1:48am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've believed the following at the different times in my life.

#1. I believed that chinese kung fu was the baddest way to kick ass there is, since all the gang members train kung fu and they beat everyone up.
    #2. I believed that if I learned all the moves in SCARS and practice them religiously it will make me undefeatable.
    #3. I believed that "street brawling" style is the best martial art there is.
    #4. I believed that RBSD will enable me to beat most people in the streets, and RBSD > sport fighting. Also, kickboxing is stupid.

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 1:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True,. I used to believe that martial arts can help a bit, but the best fighters around were probably streetfighters. In fact, a streetfighting champion might be able to hold his own with a Shaolin Monk!

Now that I've seen what "streetfighters" look like on video, all I can say is I hope that if I ever have to defend myself on the street, my opponent fights like 90% of them do... using only their right hand for attacks and their face for defense.
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.