Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    I used to believe that Aikido was in some ways useful. I quit after Sensei got really passive aggressive with me when I started asking about how I could apply what I was learning to real life a few months in.
    Have you read the article "Is Aikido a Martial Art" in BS archives?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/arch...p/t-55548.html

Its worth reading if you've ever studied Aikido.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 2:48pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post

I did read it, and it made me sad. If that kind of Aikido still existed, I would still be studying that. The problem is that that style has either died out or is nigh impossible to find. I know how to fall properly which is nice, but aside from that I feel like I learned almost nothing of value during the five or so months that I trained.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    I did read it, and it made me sad. If that kind of Aikido still existed, I would still be studying that. The problem is that that style has either died out or is nigh impossible to find. I know how to fall properly which is nice, but aside from that I feel like I learned almost nothing of value during the five or so months that I trained.
    Schools that train Aikido that way are definitely hard to find, but it's possible to find a few good training partners in an otherwise lame school and set your own limits. Realistically, tho, you'd need a bit more training than just 5 months' worth to get into that.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 4:45pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Schools that train Aikido that way are definitely hard to find, but it's possible to find a few good training partners in an otherwise lame school and set your own limits. Realistically, tho, you'd need a bit more training than just 5 months' worth to get into that.
    Yeah, with Muay Thai I've felt like I have been learning how to use what I am being taught from day one. I like that.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2014 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You must have a crush on CapnMunchh, don't you? Go do some pushups or something.

Sometimes I'm very happy that Bullshido has been around so long now and is so deep in it's articles and threads. Lately most of the "New Posts" threads haven't interested me much (though I'm sure there is some good stuff, it's just hidden in the ho hum) and like the time of Brand and The Wastrel's departing and aesopians ascension or Ronin's troubles with this site I find myself reading older threads and getting a lot out of them. There's SO much here, I'd never read Is Aikido a Martial Art and that led to Rock Ape's http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94155 and that leads to http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/. Good stuff here! And now I'll go back to getting ready for the CPA appointment Wednesday - though I will add, I saw GREAT aikido in the sixties in Hawaii; Sensei and sempai and some of the other couples were amazing - Sensei would demo some response like a throw to a rear choke and everyone would do it, but he and sempai would improvise all the way, throwing kicks punches, reversing throws, joints and what have you, looking like cats fighting, jump up, bow and do it again. I remember me and my karate buddy just going, "****! Did you see that side snap the sempai gave Sensei's neck as he was being thrown and Sensei did wtf? A one armed leg lock take down?"

That dojo is long gone, and so is Logan Utah's Kyokushinkai (RIP Del, you were the man) and even Honolulu Kyokushin didn't outlive Shihan Lowe. Hell I'm feeling kinda sad; I know that my own small steps of understanding (ie., combining Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo's full on sliding body movement reverse punch with Ali's sliding leaning stepping in left jab + Kyokushin's driving explosive shots) maybe will maybe have a tiny echo for a few younger folks, then fade away.
    http://www.ellisaikido.org/
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2014 2:47am

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Possibly you can teach those techniques to the younger folk and it will carry on through the ages... Things only fade away if you allow it to.