Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 12:40pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should MA gyms have mandatory checks on serious contagious diseases?

I was rolling last night with a new guy when my coach told me to stop because my forearm was bleeding. Indeed there was a lot of blood on my arm and I couldn't figure out how I had cut it. When I washed my arm off however it turned out that it wasn't my blood but my partners, he had cut his elbow somehow.

Not that I'm a germaphobe or anything but this got me thinking. What's stopping a guy with HIV or something from training with us? Shouldn't there be a mandatory check for these diseases at all MA gyms?
    Last edited by HearWa; 1/24/2007 7:08pm at .

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 12:56pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. Yes, you should be careful of such things, and thus before someone joins the club the teacher should ask the question "Do you have any blood transmittable disease as cuts will happen" or have it on the forms or something but having mandatory HIV tests seems a little extreme.

I know that bleeding happens a lot but how many times have you seen someone get HIV through rolling? I'm not saying it CAN'T happen but it doesn't enough to warrant mandatory tests of all incoming students.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we have to provide a blood test every 6 months at least and yes i think this should be mandatory for any club.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, it's even possible, although unlikely to get HIV or herpes from kissing someone. Yes, HIV is transmitted by bodily fluids, but also, it has to occur in a high-risk environment. Clusterfucking strangers on a regular basis is a high risk environment. Rolling on the mat where an accidental cut can occur is not.

Dude, it's possible to get HIV, genital herpes, and chicken pox from your partner. But, you shouldn't lose your sleep over something possible and yet highly improbable.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, i just got blood on me last night while sparring. I thought it was mine at first, but in the end it ended up being someone elses. I think forced disclosure would be good, i'd want to know if hte guy i'm sparring has the hiv or any other disease that could be transfered via blood.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Dude, it's even possible, although unlikely to get HIV or herpes from kissing someone. Yes, HIV is transmitted by bodily fluids, but also, it has to occur in a high-risk environment. Clusterfucking strangers on a regular basis is a high risk environment. Rolling on the mat where an accidental cut can occur is not.

Dude, it's possible to get HIV, genital herpes, and chicken pox from your partner. But, you shouldn't lose your sleep over something possible and yet highly improbable.
    id rather someone took a few minutes to go get a fuckin test than run the risk of me catching a fatal disease. im picky like that.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's fine and dandy, but any school that does regular blood checks better be sure to handle such private information as required by the law. It's a tricky business.

Having said that, I would not worry about HIV. There are other things that are more widespread (herpes, hepatitis, gonorrea, tuberculosis). If any of you, God's forbid get anything, chances are it will be one of those rather than HIV.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I wrestled in high school, whenever I would bleed I'd get really pissed and go "****! You don't have AIDS do you? I do NOT want to catch that **** again."

Little psychological warfare goes a long way.

On topic: Yeah, I'd feel safer knowing everyone doesn't have teh AIDS, but I wonder if there are legal issues.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    That's fine and dandy, but any school that does regular blood checks better be sure to handle such private information as required by the law. It's a tricky business.
    if people dont want to provide a blood test they are more than welcome to **** off. i really cant see any reason why a club wouldnt do these checks. it isnt hard to comply with legal guidelines doing it. it takes 10 minutes of the persons time to make sure they arent going to give the person they are rolling/sparring with a debilitating or even fatal disease. how many people do you think regularly get checked up by themselves and would even know if they are carrying?

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally agree with Alex on this issue.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast