BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 12:23am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    The mat spaz is actually a good thing if you look at it in a positive light. He allows you to test your skills on a totally uncoorperative resisting opponent. Too often in BJJ class we're told to use techniques, not brute force, but it's good to test out if that axiom is true when fighting someone who's strong and brute forces their way around.

If I were you I think I'd love to spar with him. It'll quickly show up the weaknesses in my own game.
    -This is definately true, but it can scare away timid newbs. Blue belts should definately learn to handle these guys.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 6:30am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almost everyone in this thread has been repped, please check your control panel for instructions. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 12:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor always gives a short speech at the end of training. He talks a lot about this. Basically, there's a guy like this in every school that never gets any better and everyone hates to train with. Don't be that guy.

I agree with the people who advised simply controlling the guy until he's completely demoralized and exhausted. If he has any awareness at all, he'll start to realize that the advanced guys are always incredibly relaxed and try to emulate them. Either that, or he'll eventually quit.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 1:55pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    If you try to show him a technique, he's one of those 'what if' guys.
    I am kind of a "what if" guy. Or maybe to put it in better terms, a "what now" guy. I ask alot of questions and shut the **** up, listen and observe the answers. It's good to be enthusiastic. But know-it-alls and people with something to prove are a pain in the ass.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 2:43pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    -This is definately true, but it can scare away timid newbs. Blue belts should definately learn to handle these guys.
    Yeah I agree. I think the blue belt who got "benchpress-tossed" was going about 40-50% and he had a 50-60 pound weight disadvantage. After that happened he didn't let that guy get away with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tabwyo
    I am kind of a "what if" guy. Or maybe to put it in better terms, a "what now" guy. I ask alot of questions and shut the **** up, listen and observe the answers. It's good to be enthusiastic. But know-it-alls and people with something to prove are a pain in the ass.
    That's pretty much how I'd describe what I do as well. If I get somewhere where I'm clueless I just tell the guy I'm training with about my complete lack of knowledge in this position. Sometimes they tell me step by step. Sometimes they ask me what I think and try to make me problem solve and correct me where I'm wrong. I'm really lucky in that all of the people who are blue belt and higher are extremely helpful as are the advanced white belts.
    Last edited by Bustardo; 1/25/2007 2:48pm at .

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 9:25am

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc L. Jerk
    Almost everyone in this thread has been repped, please check your control panel for instructions. Thanks.

This all started when I made fun of your **** origomi.

Oh well, you are still a damned ******.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 11:45am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    Yeah I agree. I think the blue belt who got "benchpress-tossed" was going about 40-50% and he had a 50-60 pound weight disadvantage. After that happened he didn't let that guy get away with anything.

That's pretty much how I'd describe what I do as well. If I get somewhere where I'm clueless I just tell the guy I'm training with about my complete lack of knowledge in this position. Sometimes they tell me step by step. Sometimes they ask me what I think and try to make me problem solve and correct me where I'm wrong. I'm really lucky in that all of the people who are blue belt and higher are extremely helpful as are the advanced white belts.
    WHen I talk about a what if guy i'm not talking about asking questions. I think asking questions is a great idea. I'm talking about posing counters to the technqiue while i'm teaching it. Here's a example. Say you are teaching someone a standing guard pass. You start by showing them how to control the wrist and posture up and are about to show them the proper way to stand from there. At this point they are like, but what if I open my guard and do this, and they then proceed to try to counter you. It's obvious to everyone else that this technique works in a certin sitaution, and that in other situations you do other things. So you try to explain that if they did that, you start to try to do something else instead, and then they say ok, but what if I did this, and try to counter this new technique. Now you are completely off what you are trying to teach the noob and are actually having a shitty verbal chess match. No one learns anything, and you wasted your time.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 1:52pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Screw talking..... Show me. Demostrate it on me. That's the only way I seem to learn is hands on. I usually spend most of the time at practice getting owned by the trainers. But it pays off when we "roll". The trainers comment on how quick I pick things up and apply them. The owner of the club says that every time we sparr it's like fighting a better guy. I think this has alot to do with just shutting up and doing it.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    This all started when I made fun of your **** origomi.

Oh well, you are still a damned ******.
    **** your mom. I don't even know who the hell you are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 2:34pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    WHen I talk about a what if guy i'm not talking about asking questions. I think asking questions is a great idea. I'm talking about posing counters to the technqiue while i'm teaching it. Here's a example. Say you are teaching someone a standing guard pass. You start by showing them how to control the wrist and posture up and are about to show them the proper way to stand from there. At this point they are like, but what if I open my guard and do this, and they then proceed to try to counter you. It's obvious to everyone else that this technique works in a certin sitaution, and that in other situations you do other things. So you try to explain that if they did that, you start to try to do something else instead, and then they say ok, but what if I did this, and try to counter this new technique. Now you are completely off what you are trying to teach the noob and are actually having a shitty verbal chess match. No one learns anything, and you wasted your time.

Ah ok. I see what you mean. People sometimes ask that stuff too and he just quickly goes, ' I could do this (shows other technique) you can do lots of variations, do this one for now, we'll show that one next" that way we end up getting 2-3 techniques from a position.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast