Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    . If that doesn't work there's always sochin101's suggestion...
    I would just like to point out that you don't actually have to corn-hole the guy...
    It's entirely optional.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:32am

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    I think the policy that my instructor set in the gym is the best policy there is for over-zealous newcomers.

Go easy on them. But if they give you a hard time, give back as hard as you receive. They'll soon get the message. (That's of course assuming that you're ABLE to give them a harder time then they give you.)

If he was being a jerk, and if I were you, I wouldn't pop his arm, that's kinda permanent. I'd choke him out. Again. And again. Till he got the message.
    Well, there you have it. If he gets to rolling real hard hurt his ass, maybe he will learn? Or spend alot of time in the E.R. ? Either way, problem solved.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:33am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As others have stated, first, make sure your instructor is aware of the problem.

Get him into sidemount, mount or kesa and just hold him there with as much pressure as you can generate until he is completely exhausted from spazzing out. Don't try any subs or transitions until he's half-dead from struggling. Then maul him with hard chokes and jointlocks. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

It takes some guys longer than others to figure out that being a spaz interferes heavily with their training. You might point this out to him in the hope that he'll listen.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^
    kesa gatame is a good time to give him a quiet little lecture.

edit: i took way too long to type that.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    This is something your instructor should deal with.
    Goju is teh correct. Bustardo, you shouldn't even be worrying about this person. If he is such a stupid, dangerous ass, just refuse to spar with him. Really.

If people keep sparring with him without a change of behavior, something bad it's going to happen, probably to him. And I'm pretty sure this bastard deserves to get his elbow popped, but would you want to be the one to do that? Would anyone?

Talk to your instructor, and let him deal with him accordingly. You are paying for training and mat time under an adult, professional environment. Waivers or no waivers, there must some implicit code of behavior. This dude is putting himself, you and the rest of the class in more danger than what should exist in BJJ training.

You are not there to educate this guy, or to help him cool down or see the errors of his ways. You are not his nurse. Let the instructor deal with him (kick him out of the school if necessary.)

This spazz dude reminds me of a guy I saw in grad school. One of my instructors was explaining this weird discrete mathematics **** (I can't remember what it was), and this guy was going "yeah, yeah, move on." After the third such interruption, the instructor asked the guy to either walk to the blackboard and continue the class, or to leave the class. After a few jock smirks, the idiot realized the professor was serious, so he had to take his books and walk out of the class.

Assholes are a universal constant.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 12:22pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    As others have stated, first, make sure your instructor is aware of the problem.

Get him into sidemount, mount or kesa and just hold him there with as much pressure as you can generate until he is completely exhausted from spazzing out. Don't try any subs or transitions until he's half-dead from struggling. Then maul him with hard chokes and jointlocks. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

It takes some guys longer than others to figure out that being a spaz interferes heavily with their training. You might point this out to him in the hope that he'll listen.
    The other day I was in his guard (We were starring sparring from the guard, taking turns). I probably have about 60 pounds on the guy. He keeps trying to sweep me when my base is like perfect. I tell him about 5 times, "You're not going to sweep someone who has a perfect base, and outweighs you by 50 or more pounds". So what does he do? 30 seconds later he tries it again, at which point I just pass him and hold him in kesa.

He's more of a danger to smaller people and himself than he is to me. But if he tries that Leglock **** on me, I'll tap as soon as he touches my leg/foot. More to the point If he doesn't calm the **** down I guess I'll jus quit training with him and let the blue/purple belts and our instructor kick his ass for a while.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 12:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    I think the policy that my instructor set in the gym is the best policy there is for over-zealous newcomers.

Go easy on them. But if they give you a hard time, give back as hard as you receive. They'll soon get the message. (That's of course assuming that you're ABLE to give them a harder time then they give you.)

If he was being a jerk, and if I were you, I wouldn't pop his arm, that's kinda permanent. I'd choke him out. Again. And again. Till he got the message.
    Tell your instructor.....

My prior school was like this. Its the worst idea possible. For one, your "ME STRONGER...HULK SMASH SPAZTIC RETARD!!!!" syndrome will only serve to elevate the "training session" to a full fledged "fight".

Tell your instructor...

It is much better to simply pin the guy like jnp suggested; similar to what is done with developmentally disabled children when they spazz out. You should ALWAYS be in control. If the guy is stronger and/or more athletic and you have trouble controlling him in this way you don't roll with him. If anything, you don't roll with him because his spazzing is not helping YOUR training at all.

TELL YOUR INSTRUCTOR...

EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    The other day I was in his guard (We were starring sparring from the guard, taking turns). I probably have about 60 pounds on the guy. He keeps trying to sweep me when my base is like perfect. I tell him about 5 times, "You're not going to sweep someone who has a perfect base, and outweighs you by 50 or more pounds". So what does he do? 30 seconds later he tries it again, at which point I just pass him and hold him in kesa.
    Our posts crossed. Sounds like you are doing the right thing to me.

Just remember he will not help your game get any better. Keep that in mine when it comes time to choose rolling partners.
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 1/24/2007 12:44pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He needs to be raped by a goat, man. Get a goat, problem solved.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:12pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bustardo,

Get used to this happening. I have only been doing Jiu-jitsu for about a year and 1/2, but it seems as if guys like that are popping up every month. As Jiu-jitsu gets more attention this kind of thing is bound to happen, so don't worry about it too much. Concentrate on yourself and your goals. Don't let some guys actions mess your game.

When this kind of thing happens at my school. The person has to roll with the instructor, who will tap him out multiple times before the round ends. This will either calm the him down or make him quit. If he quits then we dont need him at our gym, and he probably woudnt have lasted long anyway.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:25pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once in MMA class I spazzed out and poked a guy's armpit (he was in my guard) to get him to let go of my head.

I'll never live down the shame I carry with me.

Just a noob's perspective: Noobs feel threatened and want to look like big men. It's very discouraging to get manhandled like a baby by experienced grapplers (though really it should prove that the training works) and people with a big ego or who are impatient are likely to freak out.

The "controlled sparring" idea where you just work on a few techniques and talk through it sounds like a great plan, and if that doesn't work, choke him out a few times so hea learns to tap.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast