Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 10:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I don't know it will make too much difference. Personally, I have cycled (commuter) for over 20 years. (usually 10 - 16 miles a day) I also did circuits (including weights circuits) for 5 days a week. I was persuaded to take up JJ by a colleague seeking moral support (familiar story? yep, he gave up etc.). The JJ included a vigorous (some would say Brutal) Warm up. It didn't matter to me too much cos of the strength, stretching etc learned in Circuit training. I have much less time now for Circuits but I'm on a running kick at the moment as I'm coming back from injury and running is the baseline before I get into Weights etc.

The only problem I found was that I found myself putting on weight (muscle) and starting to walk like I was wearing a Wardrobe. Yes, shortening of muscles, etc. Sometimes after a hard weights session (I can be a bit extreme in training) I would get home and feel either 'washed out' then or next morning. This could either be owing to my cycling home and awakening my Body into thinking it was going training again or because I'm a poor sleeper.

That aside, how do you intend to cycle? What bike will you use? This will affect your cycling style (rolling resistence). If you take it in your best Tour De France manner, you will find it a tester. OTOH, cycling can make you lazy as it is so efficient. If you cycle 'eyeballs out', it will make a difference as you will feel the limits of your cardio fitness. If you cycle in a leisurely manner, it will make no difference.

Oh, think about wearing cycling shorts or inserts - it will save your Perineum.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You did it for a while, he's jsut starting. could mean a big adjustment or none at all.

Cullion - You get the worst answer ever: "It depends".

Try it and see how it goes.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 4:45am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PirateJon is correct. To give you an idea of where I am, I've been lifting since last Autumn and am overall just reaching the 'intermediate' level for my bodyweight by the standards on exrx. Cycling 96 miles a week would be a substantial increase in calorie expenditure for me.
    Whether or not it counts as significant cardio would depend on the pace I take it at.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 7:12am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once I got my dog, I've been more active than I've ever been. Ever.

Over the winter, for example, we'd do tracking. I'd tie him to a tree, go march out 500 yards or so and hide his toy, march back over the same footsteps, and then run behind him as he tracked. We'd do this for a couple hours. We also had knee deep snow for most of the season. That was almost every day. And then at least one more walk later in the day.

Due to puppy/work-incuded sleep deprivation, I did not do any lifting between November and April.

I gained 6 pounds!

**** active calorie expenditure.

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 7:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    You did it for a while, he's jsut starting. could mean a big adjustment or none at all.

Cullion - You get the worst answer ever: "It depends".

Try it and see how it goes.
    Sorry for lacking clarity. I did Circuits for 12-15 years at a frequency of up to 5 times a week. Over and above this, I was cycling 7 days a week, with gym gear and office clothes and the occasional crate of beer. Yes, a little loading. In recent years I have balanced either Body Pump (owing to its being structured) or a basic Strength workout in the machine room.

Your answer "It depends" is perfectly fair and I accept it.

For this year, I have had injury on the mat which has caused me to lose all my fitness (exponential) so am starting again from a low baseline. Suffering and fluctuation will be part of the Recovery.

I think that I have probably failed to add anything worthwhile to Cullion's email so I apologise and withdraw.

Regards

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 8:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    Once I got my dog, I've been more active than I've ever been. Ever.

Over the winter, for example, we'd do tracking. I'd tie him to a tree, go march out 500 yards or so and hide his toy, march back over the same footsteps, and then run behind him as he tracked. We'd do this for a couple hours. We also had knee deep snow for most of the season. That was almost every day. And then at least one more walk later in the day.

Due to puppy/work-incuded sleep deprivation, I did not do any lifting between November and April.

I gained 6 pounds!

**** active calorie expenditure.
    I understand the logic of not replacing strength training or interval/anaerobic work with LSD cardio. I'm planning on doing LSD cardio in addition to the stuff I'm already doing. I'm looking for tips on what I need to do to continue to make strength gains, or at least not lose strength and lean mass.

I <3 Sirc.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    Sorry for lacking clarity. I did Circuits for 12-15 years at a frequency of up to 5 times a week. Over and above this, I was cycling 7 days a week, with gym gear and office clothes and the occasional crate of beer. Yes, a little loading. In recent years I have balanced either Body Pump (owing to its being structured) or a basic Strength workout in the machine room.

Your answer "It depends" is perfectly fair and I accept it.

For this year, I have had injury on the mat which has caused me to lose all my fitness (exponential) so am starting again from a low baseline. Suffering and fluctuation will be part of the Recovery.

I think that I have probably failed to add anything worthwhile to Cullion's email so I apologise and withdraw.

Regards
    Hey don't worry about failing to add or whatever man. It's all good - more people contributing is alway a plus. I mean - we're all a "team" of martial arts enthusiests or whatever and i'm just another asshole with an opinion.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 9:38am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    **** is the only word my mum wont let me say in front of her
    YOU ASS!!!! That just made me spit coffe on the monitor.....

As for the original question... well... um... cardio and bodybuilding don't go hand in hand per se. But you're better off for it. I have never understood the appeal of gigantic arms as I find them much esier to arm lock.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 9:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not bodybuilding specifically, just trying to increase 5rm strength mostly using chins, deadlift, standing dumbell press and woodchops.
    Last edited by Cullion; 8/15/2007 12:00pm at .

I <3 Sirc.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234