Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, I made a clip doing plyo push ups on a ball for a while for a friend of mine who wanted to see how I do them... but I need to get a real medicine ball because it fucking sucks to use a basketball. At the gym I use a real medicine ball, and the stability is great. I can even jump a hand from the floor to the ball and back - I like to do a set of these to near exhaustion after each set of deadlifts or cleans.

But with a basketball, I have to be very careful. I can't push jump; I have to put one hand in the bball before transitioning the other hand to the floor. Too slippery and unstable (maybe I should get some of the air out):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LYPML1vwOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LYPML1vwOs
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 5:28pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    ****, that's bad ass. What is he using? A regular dumbell????
    Yeah it's just a regular dumbell with the spin-lock type collars. I tried using mine but had to slightly modify them with some plastic grip/collar type things off some older dumbells.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 9:34pm

Style: no gi grappling/sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For biceps I open a door so I am facing it edge-wise and grab both doorknobs. Walk heels in toward hinges so my crotch is against edge of door. Lean back so arms are extended and curl up toward door. Have to do a shitload for a good burn. You could also remove the doorknobs and thread a towel through the hole and do the same thing. This gives a better effect because you lean back further.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/23/2008 8:14am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've messed around with this stuff a bit. Because I don't have a training partner for weights, I've avoided free-weight squats and bench, and used Hammer machines instead, supplimented with one-armed pushups and pistols to work all the little stabilizers that get ignored when you're using a machine to just push the maximum weight you can along a predefined plane.

I've used dumbells for overhead pressing and basically done a modified Rippetoe using the hammer squat machine supplimented by pistols, benching on the Smith machine supplimented by one-armed pushups, free deadlifts, overhead pressing with dumbbells and just kept the volume relatively low and kept increasing the weight every week or two.

I think you can get almost all of the raw strength workout you need with bodyweight exercises (supplimented with held dumbells or weight-belts when you get advanced), except for the deadlift. I've never figured out a way of working maximal strength in the muscles worked by a deadlift without having some heavy weights to hand.
    Last edited by Cullion; 8/23/2008 8:27am at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/23/2008 8:24am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is also the question of how much maximal strength a martial artist needs, relative to training time that could be devoted to other things. Now, obviously somebody competing in maximal strength event needs all they can get. And I also think there are certain 1RM in compound lifts that a martial artist needs to be able to hit (relative to their bodyweight).

But I have a hunch that past a certain point it's more about muscular endurace and anaerobic tolerance and once you get to certain 1RM you should just maintain them and spend your time on other stuff.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2008 1:48pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    ^ Second that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 8:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another good addition to the bodyweight program are the use of paralettes. RMAX and Crossfit both discuss inexpensive (25$ or so) homemade sets. My gym has a set, but I am making my own. There are loads of video showing exercises. Anyone else using these?

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 9:46am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought Ross Enamait's book "Never Gymless"

You will BLAST your body with the advanced variations of these exercises. Handstand pushups from an elevated position, for instance, or one-armed pull-up.

Enamait also emphasizes that training with weights vs. bodyweight is that they each have their own merits, but resistance is resistance.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I've messed around with this stuff a bit. Because I don't have a training partner for weights, I've avoided free-weight squats and bench, and used Hammer machines instead, supplimented with one-armed pushups and pistols to work all the little stabilizers that get ignored when you're using a machine to just push the maximum weight you can along a predefined plane.

I've used dumbells for overhead pressing and basically done a modified Rippetoe using the hammer squat machine supplimented by pistols, benching on the Smith machine supplimented by one-armed pushups, free deadlifts, overhead pressing with dumbbells and just kept the volume relatively low and kept increasing the weight every week or two.

I think you can get almost all of the raw strength workout you need with bodyweight exercises (supplimented with held dumbells or weight-belts when you get advanced), except for the deadlift. I've never figured out a way of working maximal strength in the muscles worked by a deadlift without having some heavy weights to hand.

Just as an aside, a training partner is not necessary for the bench or the squat, as you should not be going to failure in the first place. I've never had a spotter/trainer, and continue to perform the bench press and squat without issue. If you ever desire to continue the weight training, ditch the hammer machines, and especially ditch the smith machine, and just stick with the barbell training. If you're concerned about failing, just set the pins in the power rack at the right height.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    Enamait also emphasizes that training with weights vs. bodyweight is that they each have their own merits, but resistance is resistance.
    Indeed. I like having access to weights so that I can pick and choose particular levels of resistance, but it's good to be able to improvise.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Just as an aside, a training partner is not necessary for the bench or the squat, as you should not be going to failure in the first place. I've never had a spotter/trainer, and continue to perform the bench press and squat without issue. If you ever desire to continue the weight training, ditch the hammer machines, and especially ditch the smith machine, and just stick with the barbell training. If you're concerned about failing, just set the pins in the power rack at the right height.
    Agreed, with the caveat that he has access to an adequate power rack. There are some gyms that don't have power racks (I'm sure you know how I feel about that), but there are also quite a few otherwise-respectable gyms that have power racks with too much space between holes. Not so much of a problem for squats, but with bench, the dummy bars can really screw you if they're in the wrong place (they won't protect you, but they'll stop you from dumping one side of the barbell to get out from under it).

Edit: Also, dumbbell bench press can be used as a reasonable substitute for barbell bench press if you have a bench and dumbbells but not a spotter or dummy bars.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 8/24/2008 5:01pm at .
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456