Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Wish I could pull it up somewhere. I think it was a Pride event where it was mentioned that the Carlos Newton's physique was all body weight exercises.
    The more and more that I play with BW exercises, the more I believe it's possible. Don't know if it's true, but I'm starting to be a believer. For example, one set of pistols hit the legs like a good set of bench presses.

Quote Originally Posted by phuquedup
    Personally, I like burpees and jumping push ups. They feel like great conditioning exercises.
    Those are my favorites. Another one is the reverse duck walk.

This is one type of push ups I do (without the ball though, http://youtube.com/watch?v=U4YevblOsUU)
    Is there a benefit to having the push up be so shallow?
    What do you mean by shallow??? Do you mean in not going deep? If so, that's why I don't like using the ball. It doesn't allow me to go deep in the push up. Also, it's always possible to miss the balance on the ball == major ouch-like **** up (I need to be careful with my girly wrists.)

To add a kick to that exercise, you can do a jumping push up with the hand that's about to go up. In Rhadi's DVD, there is a similar exercise, without the medicine ball of course. As you bring your hand up, say your right hand, you kick your left leg diagonally and do a toe touch with your right hand (and the same is done with the other side of the body.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 6:59pm

Style: PT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by shallow??? Do you mean in not going deep? If so, that's why I don't like using the ball. It doesn't allow me to go deep in the push up.
    yeah thats what I meant. Looked like the wussiest push up ever. Wondered if there was a particular reason he was shortchanging himself so much.

To add a kick to that exercise, you can do a jumping push up with the hand that's about to go up. In Rhadi's DVD, there is a similar exercise, without the medicine ball of course. As you bring your hand up, say your right hand, you kick your left leg diagonally and do a toe touch with your right hand (and the same is done with the other side of the body.)
    sounds interesting, I'll probably try it out. I'm headed to the gym now, actually, gonna be doin a lot of medicine ball and bodyweight **** as I'm still in recovery mode.

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 7:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah thats what I meant. Looked like the wussiest push up ever. Wondered if there was a particular reason he was shortchanging himself so much.

sounds interesting, I'll probably try it out. I'm headed to the gym now, actually, gonna be doin a lot of medicine ball and bodyweight **** as I'm still in recovery mode.
    I wouldn't call it wussy since alternating hands on top of that ball is not cakewalk. With and without the medicine ball, the main concentration is on the shoulders and on the core. Even with one-hand push ups, I still hit my core and midsection a lot more than my chest.

The medicine ball it's something I find waaaaay too risky without additional benefits. To hit the pecs, I rather use jump push ups, or the regular push ups. Once you use both hands, the pecs are fully engaged.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 12:48pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    MUAHAHAHAHAHA! So as we lose weight, we decrease the resistance and increase the reps :tongue3:

I'm becoming quite addicted to BW workouts. Just FYI, I bought Rhadi Ferguson workout DVD a few days ago. Quite simple, seemingly unimpressive production. But they way he selected the BW exercises, it really becomes a bitch to do them.

My favorite exercise from that DVD is the explosive star push up - first time I've ever seen it. I'm working out with my g/f tonight, and I'll ask her to film me while I do one set for you guys to see and critique.

daGorilla, I hear ya. For me, I like to do them to failure or near failure as it gives me some sort of mental accomplishment. Another way I do them is by having sets of a fixed number of reps and do many of them.

For example, I usually follow up front squats with push ups. I keep the set of push ups to 40 reps. As soon as I finish a set of squats, I drop and do 40. And immediately I go back to the squat rack.

After a few of those, doing 40 push ups become a set done to failure. By the end, I can only do 25, after which I have to pause for a few secs and push myself until I get 40.

Front squats are perhaps the only non-BW I will never replace. They are too good to abandon.
    I like front squats as well, and back squats and deadlifts. I pretty much gave up all the stupid machines and isolation exercises a long time ago, in favor of BW (dips, pullups, etc.), olympic lifts, and gymnastics-style conditioning (integrated with martial arts training).

For some reason, I'm fairly strong at deadlifting. I only started deadlifting maybe within the last two years, but I've made good strides in it. I think my deadlifting progress outpaced my squat progress significantly, although I do full ass-to-grass squats, so the numbers for those will always lag a bit.

Deadlifting, by the way, is a great all around strength builder without adding weight to your body. I read at least one article where elite runners had deadlifting programs integrated into their regular running routines. The runners all improved their speed. Bottom line was deadlifts made for stronger legs (able to generate more power pushing off the ground) without adding pounds to their frames, and their sprints/run times improved.

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 1:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daGorilla
    I like front squats as well, and back squats and deadlifts. I pretty much gave up all the stupid machines and isolation exercises a long time ago, in favor of BW (dips, pullups, etc.), olympic lifts, and gymnastics-style conditioning (integrated with martial arts training).

For some reason, I'm fairly strong at deadlifting. I only started deadlifting maybe within the last two years, but I've made good strides in it. I think my deadlifting progress outpaced my squat progress significantly, although I do full ass-to-grass squats, so the numbers for those will always lag a bit.

Deadlifting, by the way, is a great all around strength builder without adding weight to your body. I read at least one article where elite runners had deadlifting programs integrated into their regular running routines. The runners all improved their speed. Bottom line was deadlifts made for stronger legs (able to generate more power pushing off the ground) without adding pounds to their frames, and their sprints/run times improved.
    Oh man, I totally believe that. Back in school, I saw the members of the track-n-field team doing deadlifts and olympic lifts as their primary exercises outside of the track.

My favorite is front squats, ass-to-grass as well, and regular squats every now and then. I have to be careful, though. This last Sunday, I got one of those "pops" on my hip when going trying (incrementally) to go heavy on a set of squats. I believe I was properly warmed up, had a belt and with proper form, and it wasn't anything really heavy (a set of 275lbs in preparation for 315lbs 6-8 reps).

Anyways, on the way up of the second rep, something popped on my right hip and had to stop. The pain is there, almost gone, nothing debilitating, but annoying (and worrysome). I think I'll stick to front squats and a moderately high rep count (15-20), and whorify bodyweight exercises. I'm not a youngster anymore, and I can't afford stupid lumbar injuries.

Last night I had salmon and crown royal on the rocks with my g/f, and I asked her to film me while doing sampling some of the BW exercises I got from Rhadi's DVD. I'm uploading them on youtube now for you guys to comment/critique ;)

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 1:25pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    My favorite is front squats, ass-to-grass as well, and regular squats every now and then. I have to be careful, though. This last Sunday, I got one of those "pops" on my hip when going trying (incrementally) to go heavy on a set of squats. I believe I was properly warmed up, had a belt and with proper form, and it wasn't anything really heavy (a set of 275lbs in preparation for 315lbs 6-8 reps).
    Booyah! Anything in the neighborhood of a 300LB squat ass to grass is damn strong. My max is around 200, and I seldom get near it unless I'm somewhere I can dish the weight if I get stuck (talk about embarassing...). My best deadlift, by comparison, is about 350, or slightly over 2X my bodyweight.

What kills me are these clowns that slap 300 pounds onto a bar and then "squat" to barely a 45 degree angle and call that a squat. I'm sure they like to brag to all their buddies how they squat 300 pounds, too. :)

I'm at that age where I've learned...mostly... to check my ego at the door or I'll wind up injured. I'm much happier doing shorter, intense, smarter workouts than trying to keep up with my inner twenty-year-old, who spent way too much time at the gym and vastly overtrained.

I've still had more than my share of injuries as of late (shoulders, mainly -- probably from a variety of sources but I'm thinking some Ring dips/Pushups may have contributed) -- but one bad pop, crack, or hint of something getted fucked up, and I pack it in and call it a day (or at least lower the damn weight...).

-daGorilla

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 1:37pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Explosive BW exercises increase strength, stamina and speed. Check out plyometrics. It looks like wussy **** but it'll wear your ass out quick.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 4:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Pathetic BW Exercise Clips

Ok bitches, I need your comments/assesment.

As I mentioned previously, I bought Rhadi Ferguson's at-home workout DVD, which uses a simple, but effective rountine of BW workouts. One that I've decided to whorify is what he calls "explosive star push up", a variation of the common jumping/clasping push ups.

For those who hasn't seen this exercise, this is what it looks like, to the best of my abilities (keep in mind I have like 1/2 pound of salmon and 2 glasses of whiskey on the rocks on my gut... blame it on my g/f... she likes me chubby, plumb and drunk. LOL.) I don't like the youtube tags, so I'm just going to give you the links :P

Explosive Star Push Ups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9bGgyAYvJ4

That exercise hits the pecs and shoulders like no other. Good plyometric stuff. I find it a bit hard to control the width by which I extend my limbs, however.

So I've come up with a modified version of it. Don't know if it exists already, so for now I'm calling it jumping jack push ups (I like to give names to **** I think its new.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5f7fPhvx0

Suprisingly I don't see much different if I go all the way down or just 3/4 of the movement (as in the clip) - the jump is what hits the pectoralis, triceps and shoulders more. In either case, if you are barefoot (as I like to work out at home), be careful not to jam your toes.

Last, but not least, when I was watching Rhadi's exercise DVD, I noticed the exercises hits the legs, abs/core/lower back and upper chest/triceps/shoulders. But I did not see any that hits the biceps.

Most of the time, the only BW exercises I've seen that hits the biceps include some form of pull up/chin up on something, a chin up bar or a tree branch. So the question was how to hit the biceps effectively using bodyweight exercises and without having to hang off a tree like a monkey.

Soooo, I came up with this. I searched quite a while looking for something similar, but my google-fu is weak. Anyways, I call this a bodyweight partial preacher curl. I looks kinda like a facedown preacher curl. The range of motion of your biceps under load is limited to within 1/4+ to 3/4 of the total range of motion you will get with a regular, standing bicep curl. However, it hits the biceps like a mofo... if you are diligent to use your biceps only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQLsCuqN-0

You do this exercise by
    1 - putting yourself in a plank position
    2 - bring your knees inside your arms
    3 - bring your entire body off the ground
    4 - as you get your balance, raise your butt off and bring your head as low as possible to the ground... without hitting the ground with the foread mind you. This will bring your biceps flexed between 1/4 and 1/2 close of full extension
    5 - as you are tilting your body as mentioned in #4, begin to flex your biceps. That it, you are flexing your biceps as when doing curls. Since your hands are stationary on the ground, this will force your body to shift backwards. You are basically curling your entire body.

A few notes. If you work out barefoot, make sure you don't jam your toes on the tile/carpet as you push your body backwards. Also, this puts a lot of stress on the wrists. So you may want to use a yoga mat, or put some weightlifting gloves so that the hands don't get grinded against the floor. Last but not least, make the effort not to land flat on your knees as you push yourself backwards... I don't need to explain the reason of this, do I? :tongue3:

I want to make a clip of one hand push ups for you guys to critique. I know I'm doing them in horrible form, so any tips on how to improve them will be appreciated. In the meantime, fire away.

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 4:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't your preacher-curl thing going the wrong way? I mean, it's not really a curl if you're pushing away, right?

Those jumping jack pushups are awesome, but need a better name.

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 4:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    Isn't your preacher-curl thing going the wrong way? I mean, it's not really a curl if you're pushing away, right?

Those jumping jack pushups are awesome, but need a better name.
    I know, I know. I suck at naming stuff. It could be "spider taking a poop" push up or something.

For the preacher-curl thingie, it works like this. Place yourself in front a wall, with palms on the wall, fingers facing away. Arms should be 3/4 extended. Now, push against your arms while still keeping the same angle of arm extension. As you do that, flex your biceps as if you were trying to lift the wall.

If there was nothing under you, you would be moving down rather than the wall going up. Now, rotate that -90 degrees. The wall would be the floor, and you would be facing down, and instead of being pushed down by the biceps, you will be pushed backwards.

You end up being pushed away because the item you are trying to curl up will not move. When you curl something, either it goes up, or your body goes down relative to the item you are trying to curl up.

Neato, no? I'm a fucking genious... besides handsome.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast