1/23/2007 7:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bodyweight exercices, BS or not?

Hi everybody,

(Hi, dr. Nick...)

I just found these sites, since I'm pretty new to bodyweight exercices I have no idea if they're BS or not. Can I have your insight?

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/OBB/OBB.html
    --> It shows a lot of exercices on the end of the page.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...witt-intro.htm
    --> This site looks a lot like some site I've seen from Farmer Burns, which has been discussed on this forum allready.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/index.html
    --> Just seems like an interesting site to me...

I would have searched those 2 first sites myself here on this forum, but the search function doesn't work somehow. (It did work when I became a member here, I think about a month ago)

Thanks for helping me out, guys. (Thanks for the info here on Matt Furey, luckily I only just downloaded his book illegaly, instead of buying it)
    Cheers

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 7:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are not BS if done correctly. I'm switching to an almost BW-only routine during weekdays, leaving only front squats, barbell rows, leg curls/extensions, chin ups and lunges on Sats and Sundays. On weekdays/weeknights, my main exercises are burbees and one-hand push ups (or jumping push ups, whichever I feel like doing).

Things like burpees and jumping/clasping push ups when done to failure are murder and make your heart almost jump out of your throat. In fact, jumping push ups (and specially star jumping push ups) hit my chest far better than bench presses without killing my shoulders.

This is one type of push ups I do (without the ball though, http://youtube.com/watch?v=U4YevblOsUU)

For legs, pistols are a bitch as well.

The key is to be warmed up properly and then push yourself to do the exercises - within reason of course, but the ideal is to do them to failure. I see people doing only 10 clasping push ups, then take 5 minute breaks, do another set of 10 and then move to something else. And then they wonder if BW exercises are BS or not.

The only tricky part is working on your back and biceps. The only way to work them out (bodyweight style) is via chin ups/pull ups. For all other body parts, I seriously believe they can be hit really hard with BW alone. ****, I'm becoming addictive to BW.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 4:33pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    They are not BS if done correctly. I'm switching to an almost BW-only routine during weekdays, leaving only front squats, barbell rows, leg curls/extensions, chin ups and lunges on Sats and Sundays. On weekdays/weeknights, my main exercises are burbees and one-hand push ups (or jumping push ups, whichever I feel like doing).

Things like burpees and jumping/clasping push ups when done to failure are murder and make your heart almost jump out of your throat. In fact, jumping push ups (and specially star jumping push ups) hit my chest far better than bench presses without killing my shoulders.

This is one type of push ups I do (without the ball though, http://youtube.com/watch?v=U4YevblOsUU)

For legs, pistols are a bitch as well.

The key is to be warmed up properly and then push yourself to do the exercises - within reason of course, but the ideal is to do them to failure. I see people doing only 10 clasping push ups, then take 5 minute breaks, do another set of 10 and then move to something else. And then they wonder if BW exercises are BS or not.

The only tricky part is working on your back and biceps. The only way to work them out (bodyweight style) is via chin ups/pull ups. For all other body parts, I seriously believe they can be hit really hard with BW alone. ****, I'm becoming addictive to BW.
    Pushing yourself is good, but I don't think training to failure is the ideal, nor even necessary. I'm typing 'from the hip' on this though so my memory may be off. (For that matter, I bet you could find compelling arguments on both sides of the fence.)

Instead, try doing a given number "for time" (as fast as possible with as much rest as needed). For example: Start a stop watch, do 150 burpees (partitioned with as much rest as is needed), stop the stop watch at the end.

Gradually, you should be able to improve both the numbers performed in each 'set' with lest ress and an overall speedier time.

I think this work more efficiently than going to failure -- which, in most of my recent readings -- generally seems to be ill-regarded by professional coaches.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 4:46pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe some day with body weight exercises you all can have a body like mine =p.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 4:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just have to have a big fat body so you get the most from your bodyweight workouts.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MUAHAHAHAHAHA! So as we lose weight, we decrease the resistance and increase the reps :tongue3:

I'm becoming quite addicted to BW workouts. Just FYI, I bought Rhadi Ferguson workout DVD a few days ago. Quite simple, seemingly unimpressive production. But they way he selected the BW exercises, it really becomes a bitch to do them.

My favorite exercise from that DVD is the explosive star push up - first time I've ever seen it. I'm working out with my g/f tonight, and I'll ask her to film me while I do one set for you guys to see and critique.

daGorilla, I hear ya. For me, I like to do them to failure or near failure as it gives me some sort of mental accomplishment. Another way I do them is by having sets of a fixed number of reps and do many of them.

For example, I usually follow up front squats with push ups. I keep the set of push ups to 40 reps. As soon as I finish a set of squats, I drop and do 40. And immediately I go back to the squat rack.

After a few of those, doing 40 push ups become a set done to failure. By the end, I can only do 25, after which I have to pause for a few secs and push myself until I get 40.

Front squats are perhaps the only non-BW I will never replace. They are too good to abandon.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 1/24/2007 5:07pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 5:03pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One other thing to keep in mind about going to failure is that your mind will tell you you're out of gas before you actually are. It takes discipline to go past the point where you think you're at failure, and to actual failure, in my experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 5:12pm

Style: PT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I like burpees and jumping push ups. They feel like great conditioning exercises.

Is there a benefit to having the push up be so shallow?

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wish I could pull it up somewhere. I think it was a Pride event where it was mentioned that the Carlos Newton's physique was all body weight exercises.

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 5:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast