Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 5:53pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I was saying that it is nearly impossible to become one, and go to school full time. But in martial arts, well, they'll take anyone willing- look at you.

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 5:59pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    This is total bullshit. There are, it's true, a few BJ Penn type phenoms who kick arse without really trying, but if you think that most high level athletes breeze their way to the top on natural talent alone you're a fool. I used to be able to beat, pretty consistently, a guy who is now one of the UK's top fencers. He was alright then, but nothing special. In the intervening ten years he trained like a demon and I drank whiskey, went to gigs, played a lot of video games and sometimes trained a little.

You're telling this guy should quit if he can't hang with competitive boxers? You realise Matt Hughes couldn't hang with the best boxers at an average gym?
    How about going down to the wrestling team, and seeing how well one does? That's where a major portion of the fighters are coming from in the US- college wrestling. It's pretty simple- if you get schooled by those guys, and they think you're a fish, maybe you could save the guy some heart ache, but I see he's been banned already.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 6:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    How about going down to the wrestling team, and seeing how well one does? That's where a major portion of the fighters are coming from in the US- college wrestling. It's pretty simple- if you get schooled by those guys, and they think you're a fish, maybe you could save the guy some heart ache, but I see he's been banned already.
    People who are not highly trained will not do well against top athletes, not matter how much natural talent they posess, in any dicipline.

Again from fencing, which is where I've got the most experience of how the elite looks, the guys who get to the top aren't necessarily the ones who progress especially fast, or who seem like phenoms from the get go. They're the ones who are just there, plugging away, at a steady rate absolutely all the fucking time; while the others go through the cycle of getting minor injuries, allowing other **** to take over, training too hard for two weeks then burning out etc. etc.

Quite frankly, I see whining about how some other guy is genetically gifted as combination preparation and excuse for failure.

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 6:53pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    No, I was saying that it is nearly impossible to become one, and go to school full time. But in martial arts, well, they'll take anyone willing- look at you.
    You need a clue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 1:22pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Career, family, and competing are very tough. Finding this out for myself.
    I have my first fight in a little over two weeks (amatuer). I feel like I have been training my butt off, but it also doesn't seem like enough if that makes sense. I have a very forgiving job so have been able to take time off to help recover and more importantly to train more, but then again I don't have a "great career" job either.
    As a matter of fact, with the juggling act between the three, I am not sure I will take another fight after this.

On another note, I thought the newest trend in MMA is for pro fighters to be full time fighters. I don't have any numbers or facts to back me up, that is kind of the impression I have gotten.

On another note, if your college isn't paid for, don't forget to account for the bloody money you have to pay back before/if ever you see a decent return on that education.

Cheers

Bry
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456