Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 10:03pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed that the decision is not easy, and something I grapple with from time to time. The good news for you is that, imo, you don't have to make that decision. Similar to what Macho said, the next decision you have to make is "can I have a sustained amateur career and go to school at the same time?" That's the first step, and something you can easily find out by doing it. If you can balance that, then there are some adjustments (not overhauls) that can be made to transition to pro. This is just my experience, and I can tell you it requires sacrifices.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 10:05pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were you i'd expect to make a little money fighting pro from time to time but not to make a career out of it.

Edit: Actually nevermind, that's what I plan to do anyways so I don't even need to be you.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 10:34pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. What she said. See, if you really want to go for it, do it because you like it, regardless of whether you can make a living out of it or not.

Going into pro fighting with the idea of making a good salary is as crazy as going to an engineering school just because of salary. Whether its school, pro fighting, arts, or opening up a business of any kind or whatever, you have to love what you do.

And sometimes doing what you love requires sacrifices. Sometimes the sacrifice is in not making as much money as one would want. At other times, it's in a reduction of the free time we have to do other things outside of work or school.

Going into something, whatever the case it may be, simply because of the potential of making good money is usually a good way of having a miserable life.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 10:45pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Going into something, whatever the case it may be, simply because of the potential of making good money is usually a good way of having a miserable life.
    Agreed. Anyone who is good in their field is passionate about what they do. Ergo, don't expect to make a lot of money in anything/be happy doing it if you aren't interested/passionate.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 10:49pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fight for free and I am perfectly happy with that. (Even though people have offered to throw money at me on several occasions)

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 11:31pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a decision that you'll be ready to make when you have to make it, IMO.

Since many, many people go to school and work out for 1+ hours a day you should be fine for going to school, and most people have a job and train MMA until they get quite involved in the sport. EVERYONE at my gym still has a job, even people taking several "pro" fights a year, because at their level the fights aren't yet a full time job.

It depends what you want to do, as well - there are jobs with more and less time commitment. If you want to be a high-powered broker, or a lawyer in some firms, or a doctor, your 20s kind of get sacrificed to your job. If you just mean "Do I have to work a student style pizza-delivery style job" then no, certainly not.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 7:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Yeah. What she said. See, if you really want to go for it, do it because you like it, regardless of whether you can make a living out of it or not.

Going into pro fighting with the idea of making a good salary is as crazy as going to an engineering school just because of salary. Whether its school, pro fighting, arts, or opening up a business of any kind or whatever, you have to love what you do.

And sometimes doing what you love requires sacrifices. Sometimes the sacrifice is in not making as much money as one would want. At other times, it's in a reduction of the free time we have to do other things outside of work or school.

yea i definitely love mma. it's just that id like the peace of mind of having a well-paying job to fall back on in case mma doesnt work out, see what im getting at?

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vingchunfudo
    yea i definitely love mma. it's just that id like the peace of mind of having a well-paying job to fall back on in case mma doesnt work out, see what im getting at?
    You keep mentioning "well-paying jobs" and saying "in case MMA doesn't work out"...

Well paying for some is pocket-change for others, and MMA is working out quite nicely for Kat even though she is an amateur.

We might be of more help to you if we nail down some of these terms.

Just exactly how much money do you foresee yourself earning as a pro-fighter? What's your current amateur record, and in what weight class do you compete?

Also, please bear in mind that education is not necessarily the deciding factor in income. I know scientists with Master's Degrees in chemistry who are being offered a paltry $15/hr for lab work in the petrochemical industry, as well as pharmaceutical reps who dropped out of college yet are clearing six figures.

What major do you plan to pursue in college? What background do you currently have in this field (AP credit/volunteer work/junior achievement/etc)? What scholarships, fellowships or grants have you been awarded?
    Last edited by sdave; 1/25/2007 10:07pm at .
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 11:18pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To tell the truth...i'd rather live like a poor person if i could train all day everyday. Perhaps i could go on welfare and just live in a gym and take food donations.

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 11:22pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah about the need college to make money. I'm a welder and pipe fabricator without anything but a welding certification and i make 35$ an hour. Why? Because im good at what i do and i like doing it.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast