218358 Bullies, 5833 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 55
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Vingchunfudo is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21

    Posted On:
    1/23/2007 4:44pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Professional fighting

    I got a question. Is it possible to have a well-paying, solid job after graduating college and still train hard to fight pro MMA at the same time?
  2. pauli is offline

    i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    herndon, va, usa
    Posts
    3,521

    Posted On:
    1/23/2007 4:48pm

    supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ask j-lau.
  3. Tom Kagan is offline
    Tom Kagan's Avatar

    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,602

    Posted On:
    1/23/2007 4:50pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because of time constraints, you probably will not be able to climb the corporate ladder to the executive suites or become a doctor. But, the answer to your question is basically yes. It all depends on what you want to do with your time.

    Our very own Joe Lauzon is an example.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

    "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

    "Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

    My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
  4. Vingchunfudo is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21

    Posted On:
    1/23/2007 5:46pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Because of time constraints, you probably will not be able to climb the corporate ladder to the executive suites or become a doctor. But, the answer to your question is basically yes. It all depends on what you want to do with your time.

    Our very own Joe Lauzon is an example.
    In case I fail at mma id like to have that sense of security that i have a well paying job to fall back upon
  5. alex is online now
    alex's Avatar

    STOP POSTING!

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8,149

    Posted On:
    1/23/2007 5:51pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most guys in the UFC are stil working 9-5.
  6. Vingchunfudo is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21

    Posted On:
    1/23/2007 5:57pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    most guys in the UFC are stil working 9-5.
    yea but a lot of them have crap, low paying jobs. Im gonna be going to be going to a decent college. Id want a well paying job in case fighting fails
  7. BSDaemon is offline
    BSDaemon's Avatar

    Being Sublime Daily

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    2,024

    Posted On:
    1/23/2007 6:05pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    most guys in the UFC are stil working 9-5.
    Evidence?
  8. Eldarbong is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    637

    Posted On:
    1/23/2007 7:43pm


     Style: I request to be banned

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vingchunfudo
    yea but a lot of them have crap, low paying jobs. Im gonna be going to be going to a decent college. Id want a well paying job in case fighting fails
    If all you care about is making lots of money, maybe fighting isn't for you.
  9. Teh El Macho is offline
    Teh El Macho's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,762

    Posted On:
    1/23/2007 8:13pm

    supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vingchunfudo
    yea but a lot of them have crap, low paying jobs. Im gonna be going to be going to a decent college. Id want a well paying job in case fighting fails
    You are going in circles dude. Nothing is certain unless you are some sort of intellectual/physical prodigy. There is a clear dichotomy right there in the goals you seek.

    There are plenty of individuals in this site that have a well-remunerated profession, with family obligations sometimes and still have time to train hard. Now, let's talk about training hard, and your understandable desire of making good, solid $$$.

    To train hard, you need $$$. You'll be going to college; therefore, you won't have much $$$ (unless your parents are fucking rich). And we are talking about training as a hobby; we are not even considering training to become a pro-fighter.

    To do well in school, you must work hard, no matter how intelligent you are. And to train hard, you need time as well. There are only 24 hours a day, and 7 days a week. How you manage your time, $$$ and effort, that's something you will have to discover yourself given your physical and mental strenghts and weaknesses and resources ($$$ and time) that you have available.

    That you can have a degree and train, of course you can. Chuck Liddel has an MBA. Carlos Newton is a freaking doctor for Christ's sake. And Josh Koscheck is/was studying accounting or law or some other high paying ****.

    But then again, Carlos Newton's fighting career was affected due to his constant obligations in med school. Props to him that he's been able to juggle between the ring and school. He is the perfect example of a bright, discipline individual and the challenges that he has to face in pursuing his goals.

    Whether you graduate and have a high paying job and/or do well as a pro-fighter will depend on you. It is possible that you can do it, and it is possible that you will end up quitting school, quitting martial arts and make a living serving french fries in a drive-through.

    It's all up to you. If your post is serious, I can only tell you that it's not going to be easy. Just do your best, and be intelligent about it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
  10. Vingchunfudo is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    21

    Posted On:
    1/23/2007 8:39pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    You are going in circles dude. Nothing is certain unless you are some sort of intellectual/physical prodigy. There is a clear dichotomy right there in the goals you seek.

    There are plenty of individuals in this site that have a well-remunerated profession, with family obligations sometimes and still have time to train hard. Now, let's talk about training hard, and your understandable desire of making good, solid $$$.

    To train hard, you need $$$. You'll be going to college; therefore, you won't have much $$$ (unless your parents are fucking rich). And we are talking about training as a hobby; we are not even considering training to become a pro-fighter.

    To do well in school, you must work hard, no matter how intelligent you are. And to train hard, you need time as well. There are only 24 hours a day, and 7 days a week. How you manage your time, $$$ and effort, that's something you will have to discover yourself given your physical and mental strenghts and weaknesses and resources ($$$ and time) that you have available.

    That you can have a degree and train, of course you can. Chuck Liddel has an MBA. Carlos Newton is a freaking doctor for Christ's sake. And Josh Koscheck is/was studying accounting or law or some other high paying ****.

    But then again, Carlos Newton's fighting career was affected due to his constant obligations in med school. Props to him that he's been able to juggle between the ring and school. He is the perfect example of a bright, discipline individual and the challenges that he has to face in pursuing his goals.

    Whether you graduate and have a high paying job and/or do well as a pro-fighter will depend on you. It is possible that you can do it, and it is possible that you will end up quitting school, quitting martial arts and make a living serving french fries in a drive-through.

    It's all up to you. If your post is serious, I can only tell you that it's not going to be easy. Just do your best, and be intelligent about it.
    That was pretty encouraging. Thanks a lot bro
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.