Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 10:56am

Style: PT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So to the wrestlers out there is that common? Did your wrestling programs spend any time drilling on break falls and such?
    I cant speak for wrestling, but I know my school didnt teach nearly enough proper breakfalling before having relative noobs throwing eachother all over the place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:29am

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't remember learning breakfalls in wrestling, though I later learned them from JJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:34am

Style: Wrestling, Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    So to the wrestlers out there is that common? Did your wrestling programs spend any time drilling on break falls and such?
    I can't remember spending any time on break falling. The closest thing I can think of is training to belly out (not landing on your back). For collegiate style, the rules regarding slams state that it is the attacking wrestler's responsibility to bring his opponent safely to the mat.

Out of curiosity, what was the move that broke the kid's leg?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can remember when I was Wrestling in High School, there was a kid at another school who attended a tournament in Toronto and he ended up snapping a couple of vertebrae. Another guy from UWO broke his leg in a match in his freshman year..
    But, generally speaking, I think incidences like that are pretty rare up here.
    In many ways, I think Wrestling is a safer sport than a lot of others, like Hockey and Football, for instance. I've seen a lot more people suffering from injuries from playing these sports over the years. But, then again, a lot more people play these sports too.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 11:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yock

Out of curiosity, what was the move that broke the kid's leg?
    I don't know I think it was something really simple like a single leg or something like that. basically a freak accident that I think was caused by the kids trensing up and not falling properly.

I did start attending a wrestling take down class every so often at my listed gym that's taught by a D1 level wrestler. I have also been viloently ( or it seemed to me at least) slamed from a double leg by a pro MMA fighter intraining.

In either case I wasn't hurt or worried about my neck and such

I attribute this to - belive it or not - Aikido, which I feel gave me great breakfalls and the mentality to realize quickly when I am fucked and to just relax and go with the throw or whatever which seems to significantly reduce the impact and damage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 3:41am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know from my wreslting experience we weren't given any teaching in ways to fall, however we were taught that you dont fall on your back so if its obvious your going to get taken to the ground just go with it and try to get in the most advantageous position. Saying that I did get my colarbone broken in my first year wrestling by some noob doing a throw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 6:22am

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i sprained my knee getting slammed from guard, oops :P

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 1:33pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kracker
    I've been wrestling a while now in addition to BJJ and quite frankly I admit it, it scares the hell out of me every time I get slammed. How common are broken necks in wrestling (Highschool style). I have no neck problems and can bridge on my forehead absolutely fine and everything but after seeing a couple paralyzed people at the hospital I do my community service at (not from wrestling, mostly car accidents) it is scaring the hell out of me that I may end up like that and wrestling consequently stopped being fun and I got way worse because now I play everything way to cautious. I am just curious if anyone has solid statistics about how likely it is for guys getting their neck snapped in wrestling accidents.

If you're scared you'd better not do it at all. That's when folks tend to get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by maurice
    I don't remember learning breakfalls in wrestling.

I think what it is, is that it isn't often covered as its own 'subject.' You don't have a coach say, "today, we work on break-falls." As you learn and practice throws and such its covered almost informally as you go (and no one actually says "breakfall"). After a while, you get a good sense of it. Sometimes folks who jump in when they are 'older,' like in HS, haven't 'absorbed' this and fall awkwardly.
    Last edited by wakinonioi; 1/28/2007 9:44pm at . Reason: Excuse my double-post. And also, BITE ME.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 8:20pm

Style: Pancrase

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, i just got slammed on my head last friday during submission pracrtice ay Pancrase's Lab here in Yokohama. I was about to get armbarred during sparring and i just powered out of it, my partner responded by locking and slamming my head into the mat, pretty hard. I heard something crack and thought I was fucked. For two days I could not move my neck at all. Now I have mobility back, but it still hurts when I look sideways and I can hear it go snap, crackle n' pop every time y rotate the neck. Is this just from inflamation, or should I get it checked? Ive been sitting it out these past few days, but am anxious to get back to trainning.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 10:24pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now I have mobility back, but it still hurts when I look sideways and I can hear it go snap, crackle n' pop every time y rotate the neck. Is this just from inflamation, or should I get it checked? Ive been sitting it out these past few days, but am anxious to get back to trainning.
    Get it checked. ASAP. Pain within normal range of motion means something is awry. Especially if you GOT SLAMMED ON YOUR DAMNED HEAD.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast