Administrator

Posted On:
    8/05/2003 3:49pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/0703/31sapp.html

Bob Sapp cannot leave his hotel. He cannot step out, not even for a second, because the moment he's outside in Osaka, Japan, they will be there -- children with autograph books, people with cameras, men in suits.

They will touch him. They will follow him. They will point and shout his name. So he stays inside, the biggest thing in Japan (375 pounds), staring 15 floors down at a country that can't get enough of him. Here he is, Bob Sapp, former University of Washington offensive lineman, trapped in his sudden fame.

"But I'm having a great time!" he booms over his cell phone. "I'm having a blast."

All he wanted to do was be a football player, but his pro football career was over five years ago before it ever got started. So then all he ever wanted to do was be a professional wrestler, until the only league that wanted him went under. Which left Sapp about to take work as a corpse mover for a funeral home in Georgia when fate found him in, of all things, a celebrity boxing match against William "The Refrigerator" Perry.

A flurry of punches later, Perry was knocked out and Sapp's life had changed forever.

He had been seen by one of the fighters in K-1, Japan's suddenly popular fighting league, a martial-arts hybrid founded on karate, kick-boxing, tae kwon do and kung fu.

A phone call came, a flight to Japan, a few months of secret training near Seattle and then in April of 2002, he debuted in front of Japan as "The Beast."

It was supposed to be something of a joke: this aircraft carrier of a man wearing a purple and silver sparkling robe with a big white boa around the neck.

Who knew the Japanese would love it?

Twenty million people were watching on television that night. They saw Sapp pummel a smaller but far better fighter and they wanted more. A rebroadcast drew 30 million viewers. When in his second fight, a few weeks later, Sapp tried to knock out a kick-boxer with an old wrestling move -- by jumping in the air and landing on the man's head -- he became an instant superstar.

By the end of the year, he had 10 television commercials, 100 television interviews, three books written about him, a store that sold only items in his growling, lunging image, and in an ironic twist, the NFL asked him to be its Japanese spokesman. He advertises everything from DVDs to laundry detergent. He has his own CD coming out.

"On Tuesday night, when Bob Sapp is on TV, every channel is showing me from 8 to 11," he said. "It will make you vomit if you don't like me, because I'm on every channel for that time."

In a way, this all seems funny to him. The truth is, he barely understands what he's doing. Until last year, the only thing he knew about kick-boxing was Billy Blanks Tae-Bo. His tactic is to let people beat him until he is on the ground, then as they relax, he jumps up and charges at his opponent while screaming and waving his arms.

"I have a high pain tolerance," he says.

One night, he picked up an opposing fighter, dumped him to the ground and then beat the man while he lay sprawled on the mat. The man eventually wound up winning.

"Good for him," Sapp says. "He spent two nights in the hospital, one comatose. I hope it was worth it."

He pauses.

"Nobody likes to beat people up unless they're crazy," he says. "I'm not crazy. Usually everybody ends up OK. I always check later to see if the other fighter's all right."

The last man Sapp fought -- a kickboxer from Croatia -- landed a foot in the front of his head, cracking Sapp's eye socket. He says he has recovered and will fight again Aug. 15 at a K-1 spectacular in Las Vegas. It's an event so big that ESPN will broadcast it on pay-per-view.

All Japan is waiting.

Until then, Sapp sits in his hotel room. They have tried to give him a life in the middle of all this chaos. One night, his people rented out an arcade to let him play all the games. Another time, they found a nightclub for him. They put him in a car and drove him to a bar that was empty save for the 20 beautiful women who had been brought in for the night.

"It was so not what I expected it to be," he says. "I just danced in the middle of the floor with these 20 girls for a couple hours and went home. That was it.

"Ah, man, it was weird."

Just another night in the strange world that Bob Sapp's life has become.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    8/05/2003 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SEE, no GREAT loss that the fool of fools is gone. Anthony can now take over!

keep em cuming Anthony!

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    8/06/2003 1:05am

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LMAO! I bet Sapp will have nightmare which inculde seeing himself on cover of everythings!

It is a rat eat rat world.

"A magical place where I have a freakish large penis and I am also the king of the mushroom people." - by Omen Stone
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Posted On:
    8/06/2003 2:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i read an article similar to this. it is very hard to be bob sapp. he doesn't even have time to train. in fact,i was suprised to see his karate pics. in addition, i think thats one of the few pics where theres no mob around him haha.

Do Be Open-minded
    Don't Be Gullible
    -----------------
    RIP Alex Gong...

Posted On:
    8/06/2003 1:00pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Which left Sapp about to take work as a corpse mover for a funeral home in Georgia when fate found him in, of all things, a celebrity boxing match against William "The Refrigerator" Perry"

lol
    Did anyone see "The Refrigerator" agasint that tall ex-NBA guy?

"The last man Sapp fought -- a kickboxer from Croatia -- landed a foot in the front of his head, cracking Sapp's eye socket. He says he has recovered and will fight again Aug. 15 at a K-1 spectacular in Las Vegas. It's an event so big that ESPN will broadcast it on pay-per-view."
    a kick?

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

"One pressure point application I like is the knife to the balls." Posted by deus ex machina August 05 2003
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2003 2:16pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep a kick. Mirko CroCop is a bad man.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2003 12:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lived in Japan for 4 years. No ****, the guy is having the time of his life, so was I. He is far more famous than I ever will be. The babes there love fame & money. Enjoy it while you can big boy, because always, always, there is someone bigger and badder waiting for you to make a mistake. Soak it up my friend, and make the most of it, because the future is coming, like it or not. Eventually life will throw you a curve ball, just be ready to take your best shot and enjoy the ride.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    8/07/2003 2:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was kick to Sapp's liver and a punch to his eye socket that downed him wasn't it ?
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    8/07/2003 3:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The truth is, he barely understands what he's doing. Until last year, the only thing he knew about kick-boxing was Billy Blanks Tae-Bo. His tactic is to let people beat him until he is on the ground, then as they relax, he jumps up and charges at his opponent while screaming and waving his arms.
    Oh man that's great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2003 7:53am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote - "It was so not what I expected it to be," he says. "I just danced in the middle of the floor with these 20 girls for a couple hours and went home. That was it".

Real question is did he go home alone?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast