Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 12:37am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training nutrition

So im 'coming back' from a shoulder reconstruction, at the moment my routine is 5 or 6 days a week, switching between one day cardio one day weight training and so forth.
    I am taking whey protein isolate and i am unsure as to whether i should take it on my cardio days as well as weight training days.

My coach told me to take it if i felt i needed it, but i was unsure whether i did or not, and i dont want to gain body fat..

My other question is, if i consume a massive bowl of cereal prior to cardio, will that be used to restore muscle glycogen, or do i need to eat some more carbs for tomorrow?

Well if anyone can answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

:toothy6:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 10:48am

Style: CQC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Protein is generally associated with recovery so you COULD take it on your cardio days to make sure that you don't have DOMs on your weight day and have recovered. However don't forget that vitamins and so on are just as important for recovery. Bannanas :p

Generally if you are eating 4 - 6 meals a day you should have enough carbs in you to just get on with running. What I did personally was have 100g of oats in the evening about an hour before bed so that I would have energy the next morning. Main thing is to remember you need to get the energy back sometime.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 11:41am

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glutamine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupple...utaminecs.html

I had shoulder surgery 8 weeks ago and I've been taking a Amino Acid suppliment with Glutamine in it after reading the link from the Univ of Maryland above. I don't quite trust Wikipedia 100% so added the Maryland website for verification.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you're gonna use those calories (also known as training hard (which you won't be doing so you can recover from your injury)) skip the extra food.

Drink carbs and protein during your workout.
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/..._nutrition.htm
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And take glutamine (and branched-chained aminoacids if it doesn't tax your wallet.)

Also, to help your shoulder ligaments, take glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and if you can find it, a shark carthilage supplement (if you are manly and brave, just grab a baby shark and rip and chew its alive carthilage with your bare teeth.)

-- Ed -- on another note, it could be that your doctor already prescribed you something containing glucosamine and/or chondroitin sulfate.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 4:16pm

Style: CQC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Healthspan do a very good Joint supplement with large amounts of glucosamine and cod liver oil etc from supposedly spiffing sources. You may want to use that, it's what I'm using to help my knees

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 5:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im taking some kind of omega 3 fish oil capsule, and right after surgery for a few weeks i was taking a magnesium/calcium tablet type thing.

I will look into glucosamine and glutamine and see if ive got the cash.

cheers heaps!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 5:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and what the fakk is DOMs ?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    and what the fakk is DOMs ?
    Delayed onset muscle soreness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 3:24pm

Style: Muay Thai, Kali, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Glutamine

I didn't have any success using glutamine. Plus it killed my sex drive. I think I was atypical, but just monitor how you respond (meaning, don't start taking it an 5 other supps at the same time).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast