221993 Bullies, 4266 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 9:56pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial Arts: a Pursuit of the Young?

I turned 32 about a week ago and was briefly looking back on things, from my injuries (2 broken hands, back problems, popped ankles, etc) to my involvement here. Obviously as the years go by I feel age more and more when doing things related to Martial Arts.

It occurred to me that despite the blood and broken bones, the posibility of exaggerated arthritis, and other future consequences age brings to my doorstep as I continue to participate in this activity, I'm fortunate to have been young enough to start doing this at a time when the paradigms started to shift.

Martial Arts became widely popular in the US and much of the western world in the 1960's. And while some people used and advocated full contact and continuous sparring to pressure test their skills, the majority pursued the pseudotraditional approaches of learning via forms and preoccupying themselves with the cultural aspects of the arts at the expense of the primary aspect: fighting.

So if you were a 40-50 year old who started training in the 60's/70's/etc, when almost every dojo taught Martial Arts this way, wouldn't you be somewhat resentful that the optimal time for you to train had been wasted along with your youth?

I watch my kid training in her class, doing her age-adjusted version of live sparring and I have to admit that I'm jealous. She's just starting down her path in the martial arts. And even if she choses not to pursue it far into adulthood, she'll have had that path available to her to walk down in the prime of her youth.

But not everyone is as fortunate. And if I've learned one thing about human nature, people who don't have the opportunity to enjoy something will often find reasons to hate those who do or to take exception to the thing completely.

A lot of you may have come to the same conclusions on your own. But I've found that when dealing with as many gray areas as we have in the Martial Arts, it helps to define terms and state things explicitly. Because generally, only deception and delusion are to be found in things left unsaid or implied.

Anyway, long story short: getting old sucks, but age plus regret sucks a lot more.

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm thinking about making a joke about your age, But I'm afraid you would kick my ass
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 10:22pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I look at my kids and my own life and I often wonder if, for all the pleasure I took in them, my activities are worth the pain I currently live with every day.

From the time I discovered it at one of those after school classes that so many got their krotty start in I was hooked on wrestling. I wrestled for close to 18 years, even continueing in the freestyle and greco roman competitions and with a partial scholarship until my university folded it's program (someone explain how an athletic program that costs less then the practice jerseys for the football team gets cut when it's time to trim the budget to me). From that I have joint problems, back problems, a nice crooked nose, a rib that floats, and all sorts of other problems.

When I was 10 my dad decided I should take up football since I was so big. Honestly I didn't really start to enjoy it until I was in Jr. High and they had pads and equipment that would adequitly protect me from the impact of a good solid hit. Again - joint problems and a fair number of broken bones.

So I moved to Japan in my mid 30's, decided "hell, you're in Japan, do something martial arts related". Since the local judo clubs were 99% kids I decided to take up karate at the local community center. How did I pick the style? (there were 2 clubs meeting at the community center at the time) Well, I wound up in Kyokushin because they met from 5-7 on the weekends instead of weeknights where I would have to cut out of work early to go... From Kyokushin I've broken fingers, toes, ribs, jaw, orbital (accidental headbutt - can't really blame that on kyokushin), and had my kidney bruised to the point where they were going to operate if the blood didn't start draining out on it's own. It took my bad hip and has left me, after 4 years, with a noticeable limp and needing a full replacement (this would have been required anyway - kyokushin just spread up the process)...

So what am I going to do with my own kids. Do I encourage them to go down the path I followed of hard contact sports? Or do I try to help them avoid the pain I deal with every day? Honestly I'm not sure - my oldest son (who is 6 and already over 50 inches tall) wanted to try karate - and enjoyed parts of it but didn't have the discipline to accept that it would take time to master the movements - he'd rather play ninja. But what is going to happen when he gets to the US later in life and some football coach sees him?

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear you man on feeling it. I've found that when I quit training though it hurts even more which sounds crazy but is unfortunately true. I've learned to tone it down when training and to listen to my body. If it hurts now I let it heal and keep working the other areas to keep them strong and limber. I can't wait to have kids (just got married at 34) and hope like hell I can get them into martial arts. You got a good thing going bro!
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 10:42pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    32 isnt old, as long as you're not calling young people "whipper snappers"

Keep a few techniques in reserve in case she gets a little cocky, then you can put her in her place. When she begs for you to show her the technique, tell her it takes 10 years of practice before you can use it effectively (_ing __un style)

*EDIT*

I recall once when I was trying to tell a story to all my coworkers after we had finally closed the bar. I was making fun of this dork with a receeding hariline, pot belly, poor attire, and horrendus dancing. The story started off like this:

"There was this old guy trying to hit on the young girls tonight- he was like in his 30's"

I didnt get further than that because of the commotion it started with everyone there "Whoa whoa! Hold on!"
    Last edited by Gumby; 1/22/2007 10:49pm at .

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 10:45pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I had more injuries to show, quite frankly. I LARPed from the age of 20-28, and now I'm bitterly resentful that my most athletic years, during which I could have excelled at a real, sport-based MA, were stolen from me.
    Now my body's much more vulnerable to injury, which has been limiting my training significantly. But it's not going to stop me, because I love it.

I haven't said this for a couple of posts, so now's the time I feel...

**** _ING _UN.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 11:00pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sigh - some kids were asking how old I was at my son's school...

mostly just practicing their english...

when I told them I was 38 my wife freaked out because now they can guess how old she is...

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 11:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training since i was 7, and now I'm 27.
    Everything hurts all the time. Getting older is going to suck ass.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 11:11pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's counterproductive to resent the changes in training methods or anything else that have occurred since one started. It's necessary for people to train in order for things to change; there was no way of altering the world back then or any time to make it better. The only thing to do is train hard. If kids today have it better than ten years ago, and kids ten years from now have it better still, we have nothing to do but be proud to have brought them a better world of martial arts.

Old-School programmers might feel regret over their having had to work with what are now ridiculous computers in the 1980's or whenever you like; but they did their best at that time and brought the world of today into being.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not quite accurate to contrast today with yesterday as competition. There is only ever today, and it's different for everyone. The environment in which you train is the best you could get for yourself - that's what counts!
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 11:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Master Asia and Omega are pretty old dudes and they do pretty well.
    カンフー
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast