Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 4:44am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Conditioning upper shins

How do you condition your upper shins, esp. folks who do muay thai?

My kyokushin friend says they bundle up a big bundle of chopsticks, tie it with rubber bands and then beat their upper shins with it.

Kicking the bag with the upper part of the shin is very awkward.

My muay thai coach says by doing kicking block drills with a partner wearing shin pads. However, I'd like to know what I can do on my own without a partner.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 4:57am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hitting yourself with **** is stupid. you will get all the conditioning you need by doing bagwork fighting, and sparring.

and it will fucking hurt no matter what, by the way. maybe not while you have an adrenalin rush during a fight or whatever but afterwards. unless you get thrown a beating like kid against that big muscly chick :D

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 5:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you do bagwork with the upper part of the shin?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 5:10am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was talking about conditioning in general.

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 11:33am

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been able to condition my shins with a bag.
    I have beat the fucking bag till it had a huge bulge in it.
    Still nothing.

You really need a partner for this sort of thing.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 11:59am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does rolling a beer bottle or rolling pin over your shins help?
    Personally, I just do my best to ignore the pain when I spar/hit the bag at a bad angle. Hitting your legs with something is time better spent kicking the bag.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 12:40pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    I don't think that pain thing ever goes away. You do get used to it the more you get hit. So just spar more. BTW, I think that is why people who whack their shins with sticks. Not to make your shins tougher, but just so you get used to that kind of pain.
    We do a shin check exercise for this reason. There have only ever been a handful of guys in my school who truly will check each other, but eventually the pain is not as sharp, if that makes sense. The pain has never gone away, but it becomes muted. Until the next day, which leads to bruises:

Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Does rolling a beer bottle or rolling pin over your shins help?
    Personally, I just do my best to ignore the pain when I spar/hit the bag at a bad angle. Hitting your legs with something is time better spent kicking the bag.
    As per above, I've rolled out bruises from my shins and forearms, but I can't say that it helped in the conditioning. Following the advice of a massage therapist, I always roll towards my feet and not up towards my heart. It helps move the blood, or so I am led to believe.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 1:05pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d

As per above, I've rolled out bruises from my shins and forearms, but I can't say that it helped in the conditioning. Following the advice of a massage therapist, I always roll towards my feet and not up towards my heart. It helps move the blood, or so I am led to believe.
    Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I can talk my friend who likes to roll beer bottles over her shins in order to "harden" them that it's a waste of time.

Don't tell anybody, but she also used to do pushups on the edges of her hands in order to "condition"herself for knife hands...?
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 1:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're on your own hitting the bottom of the bag is the best thing to do, it's usually denser than the rest of the bag. As for hitting/rolling things off your leg, I'm not sure if it works or not, can anyone with medical knowledge/experience weigh in?

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 9:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    I don't think that pain thing ever goes away. You do get used to it the more you get hit. So just spar more. BTW, I think that is why people who whack their shins with sticks. Not to make your shins tougher, but just so you get used to that kind of pain.
    My lower shins are quite conditioned now, that's from kicking the bag. The side of my knee is also conditioned, from clashing legs with sparring opponents when we both try to kick at the same time. The last time I clashed knees with a new student, he was hugging his knee in pain but I only felt a slight pain (bearable). So it does take away the pain, just not 100% I think.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast