Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 8:53am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    You think you can do everything you do with weights as you can with bodyweight. Thats cool. I didnt know you could simulate lifting 500lbs on your shoulders with only bodyweight. Thats cool though.

Weightlifting increases strength in ways that your sport training cant. If you think weightlifting is obsolete, your living in the stone age.

Its not about one over the other, its about using them all.

Mabey I am living in the stone age then again mabey I haven't been brainwashed by all the weightlifting magazines that think you need their gym equipment and supliments to work out. I never said that you could simulate lifting 500lbs by using bodywieght. I said that most people who can powerlift 500lb couldn't do 100 body squats. Which one is more relivent to fighting. Obviously the bodysquats. Unless you are planning on fighting a 500lb person and he ended up on your sholders, equaly balanced on both sides, and you want to lift him one time, while having your knees rapped up, a weight belt on, and a spotter. Now Imay be living in the stone age but I know what sport specific training is. I wish you the best with you powerlifting. Teach all your friends about its benifits. Mabey one day my team and your home boys can meat in the cage and you can see if you can deadlift my while you are in my triangle taking blows to the head. 1..2..3..lift.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 11:49am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok now oyur just being an idiot.

We dont say powerlifting is the best or end all in trainig. Its just a neglected area is all. If you had to choose between only a 500lb squat or 100 bodyweight squats, Id take the bodywweight squats. But I do both.

Squats build power throughoutt he entire body. Use weights and do low reps, use bodyweight and do high reps.

Brainwashed by musle mags. Now your just pretending to hear what you want, or read actually. Powerlifting is a sport in itself. You can use its training though to get stronger. I lift without a belt, without wraps and limited suppliments (protein and creatine).
    Maybe your just brainwashed by the counter culture of bodyweight or no weight!

Why cant you do both? Just wondering what your reasoning is behind thinking a man who can do 100 bodyweight squats is in better shape then a man who can do 100 bodyweight squats as well as a 500lb single.

You wanna talk specifity? Look at guys at Renzos school in the city. They put a bar on the low pin of a rack and "shoot in" and pick it up, like a zercher squat, just like they would a person. So thats ok, but when they simply do regular squats, thats bad? Remembering that regular squats would help their Zercher, but that doesnt matter I guess.

People have put me in omoplatas and Ive deadlifted out of them. He used perfect technique, I couldnt roll out either way, so I just took a big breath and stood straight up, deadlifted him off the floor. It was a purple doing that to me, a new blue, so he knew what he was doing. Go ahead master your own bodyweight, but when you take someone down, its yours plus theirs.

So Ill keep doing bodyweight and weighted training, you only do one and tell me that makes you better. Ok, thats awesome.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 2:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Flash: when the weather gets warmer I do want to start using a keg and sandbag. If I have enough money I want a pulling harnes too for car/sled dragging for fun.

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 2:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would imagine you just clean, squat, press, and just move it any way you can think of? The sandbags and keg I mean.

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 2:41am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It starts on the ground, and goes to one shoulder, chest, hip or overhead, but like all objects, it starts on the ground. If you want to get started indoors and you've got a bigger size wallet I'd start here www.sandbagstrength.com and http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/budget.html

Good luck, and always train how you fight.

BTW, I just want to clarify, I have virtually no striking instruction, so my at least with my striking game, I can't fight my way out of a wet paper bag, so who wants to grapple with me?

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 3:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless your a hot naked chick I have no desire to grapple with you, your not from NY are you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 2:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you disagree then you don't know Jiu jitsu. Look at everyone the gracies have beet. If they didn't prove this point then you can't be convenced... Weight training is a waste of time.
    If it's such a waste of time, why do a lot of top fighters still lift weights? And I'm pretty sure a good number of Gracies do lift.
    Last edited by CMack11; 2/04/2007 4:36pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2007 10:26am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    BTW, I just want to clarify, I have virtually no striking instruction,

why are you giving advice on kickboxing conditioning again?

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 1:22am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because I know how to train, dipshit. That's the kinda info you get by hanging around Ross's site and signing up for teleseminar calls with peeps like Joe Vitale, Jason C. Brown, Josh Henkins, and Zach Evan-Esh. Just because I'm part of the Underground and your not doesn't mean you gotta dis.

Edit: And plus conditioning is conditioning. It's easy to go from normal conditioning knowledge to that of sport specifics. Especially if you follow Ross.
    Last edited by Flash Jackson; 2/07/2007 1:26am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2007 2:18am

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMack11
    If it's such a waste of time, why do a lot of top fighters still lift weights? And I'm pretty sure a good number of Gracies do lift.
    Yes they do. From a Royce interview here: http://www.fightingmaster.com/legend.../interview.htm

Gus: Do you use weights in your training?

Royce: Yes, I train with weights about 3 times a week.

I think the OP of the "Gracie no lift myth" has been baned but I wanted to get this info out for others.

How can lifting weights, as part of a total program, possibly hurt a martial artist?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast