Sponsored Links Spacer Image

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 6:33am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you bench more than you squat? isnt that supposed to be the other way round >.>

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    I have been heavy weight training and it has not hindered me at all. In fact it has helped and I see it as an advantage over my oppenents in grappling at least. Even in standup I can control easier and move the pace of the fight. I know for a fact GIJoe is not PowerLifting but like me is using it as a guide, focusing on the 3 lifts at the core and some accessories with the goal of heavy weight, relative to him at least.

My personal bests so far are a 300lb bench, 290 Squat, and 430 Deadlift, so thats a PL 1020 total. Not great at all but more than almost everyone at my gym and it helps.

Condidtioning is important too but isn't a replacement for weight training. Its just a different aspect, being strong can't hurt as long as you also focus on conditioning, flexibility etc.
    Word. I think everybody should at least at one point experiment with weight lifting with a powerlifting approach (meaning, for explosive strenght/powah rather than just muscular development... which makes you strong nonetheless.) Front squats are perhaps the best **** on Earth besides pancakes and South Park. Add 1 hand clean-and-jerks to that, and pretty much you have a good addition to any form of combat conditioning.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 1:48pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, sorry. I say powerlifting but it is like LI GUY 1 said, its just for a guide. I just get all my info from powerlifting site and such, plus I am not bodybuilding so I just say powerlifting. Its more just using the big 3 as a guide and focusing on them buit its not powerlifting. I guess its a powerlifting approach, thats all.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I should be squatting more than I bench, I know. I'm working on it. I actually just switched from squat to front squat because I find squat so awkward and front squat feels much more natural to me. Easier to get in the groove of it.

In a month I expect my front squat to be up to 275 and soon 315, with 405 being my end goal. I want a 495 dead, 405 squat, and 315 bench. After that I'll just go for reps or maintain it and shift focus to another part of training.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who cares how much you bench. Are you ever planing on laying on the ground and having a stationary object sit directly over your chest with its weight equally distributed on both sides. Then have to lift that object for 4-6 reps then get up and get a water brake? If so then your bench press will come in handy. Otherwise, strength has nothing to do with grappling. Being able to put a technique on properly will out weigh strength. Only inexperienced grapplers thing strength matters. And bench press doesn't carry over at all to kickboxing. You need cardio and bag work.

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 6:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only an idealist would think strength dosen't matter. Athleticism matters a lot. Technique being equal, the stronger, quicker, more explosive guy will win. Also, I would say just as technique can overcome strength(who would disagree) sometimes strength can overcome technique. Bob Sapp or Tank Abott may not be the most technically proficient but they managed to win fights. Now imagine their brute power with technique and holy crap!

Are you ever planning on running a 10 second sprint in a kickboxing match? Are you ever going to be hitting a canvas bag that won't hit back and is stationary in a kickboxing match? Nope.

You don't need cardio and bagwork.

I would say you need cardio, bagwork, weights, everything. A stronger athlete is a better athlete. I'm not saying you are wrong about cardio and stuff, but just like we want to be well rounded fighters we should be well rounded athletes.

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 6:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I believe everything has limits. For example I will not be looking to bench or squat 700lbs like some people can as PowerLifting is not my sport. There comes a point when the effort is better spent elsewhere, like the law of diminishing returns.

After a certain strength is reached (say my 495 dead, hopefully around the corner), it would not make sense for me to start chasing a 550 dead. That effort would be better spent maintaining my 495 dead and using the extra time now on bodyweight or flexibilty excercises, maybe oly lifts. Personally like I said I will place more emphasis on anaerobic cardio and bagwork once I reach my strength goals.

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 11:51pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train how you fight, and become strong training.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 12:32am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training how you fight can only take you so far. If you think weight lifting is dumb or slows you down in anyway shape or form, theres something wrong. Being bigger and stronger are always a plus in teh deadly streetz.

If your trying to make a particular weight class, then you dont want to add too much bulk which weight lifting could do. There is no reason to say "Ohh I dont like being strong, its not good for fighting."

If you can bench 300lbs and deadlift 405lbs as LI GUY 1 can, it can only help your punch. Of course technnique is needed, but as LI mentioned before, look at Tank. Did pretty good considering his "street fighting" skills.

So Flash, are you saying only spar and practice technique?

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 1:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Flash Crackhead: How do you become strong training if you don't up the resistance? It's just one aspect of a complete game and shouldn't be taken to extremes, just like every other part of training.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast