what time is the throwdown tommorow?

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at the thread in the throwdown section. Be at SBU at 8 or 8:30 PM in the racquetball courts.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 4:05am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How often can I do bagwork?

I read King Kubukis Bagwork Tutorials over at Sherdog and like them alot. Similar to what Im doing. He does it 5 days a week. Also, because I plan on training alot, Im taking a protien shake 3 times a day @ 40 grams each and creatine.

I also think the rounds are two minutes each, I saw a clip from youtube and I just looked at the time in the vid. I will still train for 3 minute rounds right now though, cant hurt to do an extra minute. Itll make two minutes seem easier.

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 6:05am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    How often can I do bagwork?

I read King Kubukis Bagwork Tutorials over at Sherdog and like them alot. Similar to what Im doing. He does it 5 days a week. Also, because I plan on training alot, Im taking a protien shake 3 times a day @ 40 grams each and creatine.

I also think the rounds are two minutes each, I saw a clip from youtube and I just looked at the time in the vid. I will still train for 3 minute rounds right now though, cant hurt to do an extra minute. Itll make two minutes seem easier.
    You should be ok if you wrap your hands properly for every workout.

How many rounds? 2 mins fight and how many mins rest?

It's ok to just do 2 mins if it's a 2 min fight. However, cut the rest time by half. And do 2 to 3 sets, try to push for 3. I'm assuming you only have to fight once, if you have to fight more than once, then it's different.

E.g. I'm fighting 5 3 min rounds, with 2 min rest in between. I'll train pad/bag work for 5 3 min rounds with 1 min rest in between. And I'll try to work up to 3 sets of this.

Try to take it easy when the date draws near, to give your muscles time to rest.

Don't just bang away at the bag. Important things to look out for:

1) Keep your guard up, always

2) Move in, throw your combinations, then get the hell out away from the bag. This is very important, and something many people ignore. It'll save you a lot of punishment in the fight, and frustrate your opponent if he isn't a fast counter puncher/kicker.

3) Don't keep doing the same combos, imagine the bag is a real opponent.

4) Throw the combos and kicks with speed, don't just focus on power. If they don't land, you're just wasting energy and leaving yourself open.

Some drills you can do also:
    1) Take chalk and wipe it on the heel of your rear leg. There must not be any chalk on the floor at the end of your rounds, or minimal chalk.

2) Check your stance every so often to make sure it's not off-balanced. Some people tie a length of cord to their ankles to force themselves to do this. Thais jump on tyres to build muscle memory.

Well, hope this helps. I'm no expert, but it's what I remember because my coach drills it into our heads all the time.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 6:33am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest, 4 minutes. Work:Total Sprint. All you've got.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46324

Brilliant. I love vomiting too.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Powerlifting? Do you compete in powerlifting? IF not it is a waste of time. Everyone I know that powerlifts has screwed up sholders, necks, backs. Why put your body through that espesially if you are competeing on other things. Kickboxing is a great work out without wieght training. Most people just weight train for ego. Your kickboxing workout looks great. Spend lots of time in the ring against opponents as good or better than you. That will benifit you the most. Just be carefull not to get injured.

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 3:28am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can do your workout just like the bagwork. Just like the fight. 5X3 minute rounds, with X number of reps in X exercises counting as points. Focus on full body movements and odd objects to help your clinch. Burpees, snatches and power cleans w/sandbag or keg, band work, pullups, dips, clap pushups, med ball slams, that kind of thing. Finish your session w/a carry to help that clinch. Ask yourself how much your training looks like how you fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 3:50am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldnt suggest cutting out weights totally. You might want to instead change your routuine to gear it more towards endurance and conditioning. You could incoporate light weight training (15 reps) with your calisthetics. That should stop you from losing any of your strength

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    1/29/2007 5:26am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been heavy weight training and it has not hindered me at all. In fact it has helped and I see it as an advantage over my oppenents in grappling at least. Even in standup I can control easier and move the pace of the fight. I know for a fact GIJoe is not PowerLifting but like me is using it as a guide, focusing on the 3 lifts at the core and some accessories with the goal of heavy weight, relative to him at least.

My personal bests so far are a 300lb bench, 290 Squat, and 430 Deadlift, so thats a PL 1020 total. Not great at all but more than almost everyone at my gym and it helps.

Condidtioning is important too but isn't a replacement for weight training. Its just a different aspect, being strong can't hurt as long as you also focus on conditioning, flexibility etc.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast