Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 12:04pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What the hell did I do to my legs?

Okay, this week was going to take me back to kung fu and MMA, something I felt good about after hitting some significant health goals around the new year. Last Sunday, I decide to kick up my bodyweight workout a notch (I do a bunch of things, since I get bored easily).

The next day, no MMA for me. By calves, which were fine hours after the workout, are on fire. I can't walk properly. Even light massage is painful. My quads were pretty bad too, but they got better after a day. My calves are *still* in pain today -- a bit better, but I'm still walking funny.

Now I obviously overdid it, but I'm kind of flabberghasted that I had this grace period from the end of my workout until I went to bed, where I didn't feel *any* unusual pain. It only happened after I woke up the next day, and it's sidelined me in a big way.

Aside from (obviously) scaling back my calf workout, how do I deal with this kind of thing? It was a hell of a piss-off for me this week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 12:12pm

Style: MT Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what exactly did you do workoutwise?

& how much more than the usual is that?

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you need is "myofascial release"

Get a foam roller to do self-massage and work out the knots in your muscles.

Put the roller under your leg and stand on your hands so your weight goes onto the roller. Find the spot where the knot in your muscele is by rolling up and down or twisting your leg. The knot will try to slide around under your skin, but get on top of it so the roller is putting a lot of force onto it. Then hold that position for aproximately 15 seconds, you will feel the tension release in your muscles as the fibers are spread out. Then move on to the next knot. Sometimes the really big ones will take multiple tratments (which you shouldn't do more than once a day). Myofascial release You will boost your recovery time and increase your range of motion. I highly recommend it.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 1:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't potasium help with prolonged muscle soreness? Bananas are great workout food...just remember that it is a food, not a toy...
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 1:45pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffman
    what exactly did you do workoutwise?

& how much more than the usual is that?
    $10 says it was hindu squats

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AGH!! You got the hindu cramps!! They're, like, 10 times MORE effective than the normal cramps, but you have to do everything CONTRARY to popular scientific knowledge to make them go away...
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 1:56pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    AGH!! You got the hindu cramps!! They're, like, 10 times MORE effective than the normal cramps, but you have to do everything CONTRARY to popular scientific knowledge to make them go away...
    I couldn't walk down stairs properly after my first efforts

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 6:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
    $10 says it was hindu squats
    No, I did 100 somewhat ballistic, bodyweight calf raises hanging from a step. This was a mistake.

I don't trust hindu squats on my knees as I had arthroscopy late last year, but I do go low on occasion for flexibility.

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 6:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    What you need is "myofascial release"

Get a foam roller to do self-massage and work out the knots in your muscles.

Put the roller under your leg and stand on your hands so your weight goes onto the roller. Find the spot where the knot in your muscele is by rolling up and down or twisting your leg. The knot will try to slide around under your skin, but get on top of it so the roller is putting a lot of force onto it. Then hold that position for aproximately 15 seconds, you will feel the tension release in your muscles as the fibers are spread out. Then move on to the next knot. Sometimes the really big ones will take multiple tratments (which you shouldn't do more than once a day). Myofascial release You will boost your recovery time and increase your range of motion. I highly recommend it.
    Thanks. I definitely overdid it, but at the same time it shouldn't have been *that* bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 7:06pm

Style: Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't had that experience for quite a while, but it sucks hard. Did it recently in a much lesser degree with the pecs. But at least I don't walk on my tits.

I second the using a roller- and flush your system out with plenty of water. It will not only help the lactic acid leave your body, it will help your healing. Make sure not to work the muscles until the knots are gone, then ease back in.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast