Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 10:03am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Darn, a noob wanders in to the meanest bar in the old west and you guys pat him on the back, buy him a drink then send him on his way with a mild rebuke. I was looking forward to howls of pain and blood on the walls.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/14/2008 1:28pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by laukunedo1
    Omega what do you mean about letting sleeping dogs lie in regards to Lau Kune Do? I was browsing and was suprised to see this message. Please do inform me what you mean.
    It's nothing against Lau Kune Do I just find some of their practices funny especially the Sifu in our area. Nice guy, quite keeps to himself, runs a clean ship, no real complaints.

For example:
    Temple of Kung-fu?
    Wing-Chun for Self-defense
    Tai Chi for whatever
    Lau Gar form as their traditional form set.

Individually there's nothing wrong with that. Put them together and then claim to teach traditional kung-fu? That's interesting. I can't really say there's nothing wrong with that but it makes me wonder why? Why teach the Lau gar form? Guys I get that come over to me from there are looking for actual sparring, which goes to show me that there is little to none over at this local school. I've met other Laukunedo practitioners, it's a neither here nor there style. Do it if you want I don't think they're disillusioned in what they're learning so *shrug, let sleeping dogs lie. Why bring it up in a conversation if it's not necessary?

(1 year necromancy, got to love that)

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 4:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Mr. Omega the Merciless,

1. With my years with the school I never have heard them claim that we teach traditional kung fu.

2. There's no such thing as Lau Gar form in our system, Kung fu and Tai-Chi are being taught as part of different curriculums.

3. I don't know who those students are, as you understand different students have different objectives and talents, I've seen some of our senior students spar and they have good techniques and skills. Our school has produced kickboxing champs, and golden glove fighters. We do spar full contact. I'm pretty sure our students can defend themselves effectively.

4. I end this conversation with a quote by my Sifu "Martial arts is the exploration of the extreme possibility of mind and body and one should spend more time practicing than talking". I don't think he would approve of what I'm doing, however I just wanted to get this off my chest.

P.S. I just located this website this month, I never knew about it a year ago.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 5:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

[LEFT]3. I don't know who those students are, as you understand different students have different objectives and talents, I've seen some of our senior students spar and they have good techniques and skills.
    What rank are you?

Our school has produced kickboxing champs, and golden glove fighters.
    This is a little dubious IMO. Golden Gloves is boxing. While your school may have had students trained Lau Kune Do, I highly doubt "you" produced GG boxers.

Please provide names, dates, or any information so we can check these wins out.

We do spar full contact. I'm pretty sure our students can defend themselves effectively.
    Are you talking about the same school Omega is in the first place?
    Do you attend the school Omega is talking about?

Thank you.

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 6:53pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3. I don't know who those students are, as you understand different students have different objectives and talents, I've seen some of our senior students spar and they have good techniques and skills. Our school has produced kickboxing champs, and golden glove fighters. We do spar full contact. I'm pretty sure our students can defend themselves effectively.
    I don't know anything about your martial art; but if you could show us a video of your style or your school sparring, that would go a long way to establishing your credibility.

I put it this way because (as I'm sure you've seen if you've lurked here even for a month) every other day or so we get somebody new saying their school spars full contact, produces champs, etc. and when it comes to it, 95% of them are just blustering.

I hope you're one of the other 5%; it's always nice to learn about a new style.

Oh, and by the way it's customary to go over to Newbietown and make an introduction thread, so we know who you are and what you're all about.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 7:37pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Mr. Omega the Merciless,

1. With my years with the school I never have heard them claim that we teach traditional kung fu.

2. There's no such thing as Lau Gar form in our system, Kung fu and Tai-Chi are being taught as part of different curriculums.

4. I end this conversation with a quote by my Sifu "Martial arts is the exploration of the extreme possibility of mind and body and one should spend more time practicing than talking". I don't think he would approve of what I'm doing, however I just wanted to get this off my chest.

P.S. I just located this website this month, I never knew about it a year ago.
    1. I can only tell you what is said in my area when it comes to the term "traditional" and I've seen flyers to prove it. I'll snake one the next time I see it. If it doesn't say that then I stand corrected.

2. Then the 3 schools that I've been exposed to are doing it. You may want to ask your sifu before stating this as fact.

3. Did I say that you didn't spar? Did I even say they didn't spar? I said I had students from that school come over and ask about sparring, which lead me to believe there was little to none. That's the local school. Maybe they only let senior students spar. I don't know. As for producing golden glove boxers and kickboxers I'd go ahead and re investigate your findings. Kickboxers maybe but golden gloves?

4. **** you. I've been doing martial arts for 29 years with a professional fight record. That's not me yelling or even getting angry that's a sincere go **** yourself for being so arrogant.

I made an observation and I told you I kept my mouth shut with my conversation. Most of my comments are speculation and partial information at best. This is why we let sleeping dogs lie. It's not worth the fucking argument when I don't have all the facts in hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2008 10:46am

Style: MT,full contact JJ,Sudoku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    I look at him and say "and you come from a traditional background!?"

This guy is well into his 40's and he responds "yeah, but I also wrestled in high school and college and did boxing."

Go figure guys, and no he's never heard of bullshido.
    You hit the nail on the head right there. He did the wrestling first.

If he had come from the chess club then straight into _ing_hun then the only option would have been a bolt gun to the forehead. Hopefully before he started spouting about how it is a physical parallel to chess
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567