Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 10:30pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus Christ, this thread is this close to become a a ghay pic lolocaust, but **** it.

Sean Sherk doesn't have a barrel gut. He has a six pack proportional to the rest of his upper body.

This is Nasser El Sonbaty, and this is a disented barrel gut.

Now, this is just some random pic on google when searching for "natural bodybuilder". See the difference in the symmetry of the abdominals compared to the rest of the upper body.

This individual will look ok, low body fat or not. With a disented, large and muscular barrel gut, you better be cut and huge and symmetrical all around, all the time; otherwise... not pretty.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 11:40pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    After doing thousands of crunches, my abs have only a slight buldge to them and don't seem to grow in size, just endurance. How do you build abs that really protrude out? Do you need to use weights for that?
    Vacuums are a pretty cool exercise I don't think have been mentioned yet in this thread. While spot reduction is impossible, I would say that working the transverse abdominals do seem to give your gut a tighter appearance.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

And basically what everyone else said. The Ab Wheel can actually be pretty damn tough as Buffman said. Most important, if you're going to be blitzing your abs, make sure you do some back work as well. People often go nuts on their abs and wreck their backs by neglecting them at the same time.

Edit: and also Janda sit ups which if done properly are wikkid hahd
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ighlight=janda
    Last edited by ironlurker; 1/25/2007 11:45pm at .

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 11:54pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great article, thanks!

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    1/26/2007 12:00am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Great article, thanks!
    No prob. When you first try them out though I would suggest not doing more than ten or so or holding for more than a few seconds on each one, because if you aren't used to isolating them like that and they cramp up it really sucks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 4:28am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not sure what abs you are looking for exactly but if your looking for abs most of us are bruce lee would probably be one of the best examples. He had large defined admoninal muscles but still keeping the washboard look.

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/8669/abtraining.htm

Here is a example of what Bruce used to do. It is fairly basic but still quite intense. It will probably take you a few weeks to build yourself up to that level but you will see results. I used it as the model for my current abb routuine

Posted On:
    2/03/2007 12:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    I would advise strong caution in using weights for ab crunches and **** like that. It would not be the first time someone gets a freaking hernia from using too much weight. In particular, I wince everytime I see somebody doing ab crunches on the floor while holding a plate too heavy for him on his neck. :icon_conf
    Obviously I am not advising him to use a weightload too strenuous for his body to handle - I have found that even moderate-low weights in the 12-15 range can promote hypertrophy in the rectus abdominus. And someone holding a weight plate on their neck while performing a crunch?? Horrible.

Moreover, ditch the leg raises and plain vanilla ab crunches. This is how you build abs:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...nis/WtVUp.html
    Surely you are not advising this is the only way to build a solid set of abs? There are infinite possiblities of weighted and un-weighted exercises out there that can help build an impressive set of 3-d abs.

On another note, I don't understand why you want a large abdominal section (the barrel gut). I hate that ****. Back in college, I ended up having one of those, and I've been trying to get rid of that hideous **** ever since. That thing is not even functional, and horrendously impossible to get rid of.
    The man is asking a valid question and is obviously interested in it for the aesthetic apeal - he will find out for himself :smile:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 3:55am

Style: Mixed grappling & fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The barrel-gut is horribly difficult to get rid of. I developed one when I was in high school. It looked okay back then, but still looked tubby when wearing a t-shirt. Now, at 27 and after having let myself go for the last three years or so, it really sucks -- the body fat's up, and while a bit of definition down the "midline" and out towards the obliques can still be seen, it just looks like a big gut.

I've been hitting the gym again for the past three months or so, focusing on cardio and upper-body strength training, and those three years of inactivity are a bitch to undo. I still look like a damn systema instructor, minus the camo pants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 9:13am

Style: CQC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In relation to the OP:

Weighted Situps, Weighted Crunches, Weighted Russian Twists, Side Bends, Leg Raises, Hanging Leg Raises.

Mix and match, do 3 of those exs a week and you can build some decent ABS, lots of strength too

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 11:28pm

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lay down, raise your legs a few inches off the ground, have someone rest a medicine ball on your feet and count down from about 10 seconds more than you think you can handle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 1:28am

Style: Tyrannical teabagging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dragon flags are pretty good.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast