Posted On:9/12/2002 8:55pm
*Some of the sparring drills I've used in the past:
1. Cross the bridge - linear sparring, goal is to get past the defender of a door, person or path quickly.
2. Small circle - boxing in a small circle - try to land as many hits as fast as you can while defending. Above the belt only. No scoring really. Heh. Just beat the crap out of each other for three to five 1 minute rounds.
3. Role playing (scenario training) - one person walking to put keys in car or get a coke from a machine. The other person attacks them and free sparring goes from there. Can be done on different terrain. (I don't recommend rooftops)
4. Slow choreography, short burst choreography, full-speed choreography. Examination of tech during these drills. Look at what is open, what weapons he has left if you do this .. where is his weight .. where he is open when you do that .. then go on.
5. Grappling with slaps, pushes, hard shoves and crossfaces included. Headgear if you want the shoves and slaps to be pretty much palm strikes.
6. Boxing, Muay Thai, kickboxing, wrestling, free sparring, grappling, NHB sparring.
NOTES on fitness:
*Dips are also cool.
*Standard pull-ups are good but I like racoon pull-ups because they focus on the lats more than the arms.
*Laps on crossing bars (go to a playground) with gloves, hurdles and climbing a rope are good ~ if you don't have any ground to build an obstacle course on.. (You can make a decent collapsable course with tomatoe cages, bean poles, some rope and work horses)
Its not the course, its how much you put into it. Use your imagination. Jumps (verticle and lateral), roll, run, crawl, dive, push-ups, climbing and situps.
*The laps on low hurdles are usually standing jumps with both legs but sometimes I'll add some hurdles to my obstacle course.
Okay, maybe I saw too many ninja movies as a kid but my workout is fun. It kills me too. I like it.
Posted On:9/12/2002 9:06pm
Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)
Hey Branson sucks also, I use to live there. Right now I go to school up in Springfield.
Hey Phrost, you going to go to the Pankration tournament in at the KC Renisaunce festival?
What? When is it?
Posted On:9/12/2002 10:35pm
Style: Judo and BJJ
It is October 5th and 6th.
Here is the link http://www.kcrenfest.com/schedule.html
I will be up there, but not competeing.
You should come, the Ren fest is always a blast.
And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
Posted On:9/15/2002 6:05pm
Oh, I also stretch a lot on my days off - like on Sunday I'll do every stretch. Before and after workous I do the major stretches.
I value stretching quite a bit.
Articles and Reviews
Tools and Info