Thread: How Do You All Train?
9/12/2002 8:55pm, #219chambersGuest
*Some of the sparring drills I've used in the past:
1. Cross the bridge - linear sparring, goal is to get past the defender of a door, person or path quickly.
2. Small circle - boxing in a small circle - try to land as many hits as fast as you can while defending. Above the belt only. No scoring really. Heh. Just beat the crap out of each other for three to five 1 minute rounds.
3. Role playing (scenario training) - one person walking to put keys in car or get a coke from a machine. The other person attacks them and free sparring goes from there. Can be done on different terrain. (I don't recommend rooftops)
4. Slow choreography, short burst choreography, full-speed choreography. Examination of tech during these drills. Look at what is open, what weapons he has left if you do this .. where is his weight .. where he is open when you do that .. then go on.
5. Grappling with slaps, pushes, hard shoves and crossfaces included. Headgear if you want the shoves and slaps to be pretty much palm strikes.
6. Boxing, Muay Thai, kickboxing, wrestling, free sparring, grappling, NHB sparring.
NOTES on fitness:
*Dips are also cool.
*Standard pull-ups are good but I like racoon pull-ups because they focus on the lats more than the arms.
*Laps on crossing bars (go to a playground) with gloves, hurdles and climbing a rope are good ~ if you don't have any ground to build an obstacle course on.. (You can make a decent collapsable course with tomatoe cages, bean poles, some rope and work horses)
Its not the course, its how much you put into it. Use your imagination. Jumps (verticle and lateral), roll, run, crawl, dive, push-ups, climbing and situps.
*The laps on low hurdles are usually standing jumps with both legs but sometimes I'll add some hurdles to my obstacle course.
Okay, maybe I saw too many ninja movies as a kid but my workout is fun. It kills me too. I like it.
9/12/2002 9:06pm, #22
Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death ThreatsHey Branson sucks also, I use to live there. Right now I go to school up in Springfield.
- Join Date
- Jun 1998
- Cow Town
- MMA (Retired)
Hey Phrost, you going to go to the Pankration tournament in at the KC Renisaunce festival?
9/12/2002 10:35pm, #23
It is October 5th and 6th.
Here is the link http://www.kcrenfest.com/schedule.html
I will be up there, but not competeing.
You should come, the Ren fest is always a blast.
9/15/2002 6:05pm, #249chambersGuest
Oh, I also stretch a lot on my days off - like on Sunday I'll do every stretch. Before and after workous I do the major stretches.
I value stretching quite a bit.