Posted On:
    3/11/2008 1:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jkd / kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, that

ok, that is good information, thank you
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 3/18/2008 2:24pm at . Reason: two posts merged.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2008 2:02am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible to like omit some of the ratings, liek for example someone said a bjj school doesnt have equipment, so they gave them a 10 or something. But what if there was the option of giving a no comment, or no rating for that section?

Posted On:
    3/18/2008 1:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess I can't say much about ratings of my dojo. It closed about 25 years ago and I have since trained on my own. I do give my sensei a lot of credit for the training he put me through during the four years I trained. We never had all the fancy equipment and facilities that are around these days; we had hours of sweat, bruises, blisters , and sore hands and feet all the time every night. At age 65 my training is not what it used to be, but it keeps me in pretty good physical shape and clear sense of mental shape.

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 5:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be honest, I've been putting off reviewing my dojo because I both:

A) don't want to be dishonest with the numbers
    B) don't want to be the only honest guy in a list of 9s and 7s

It's petty but true. Economic theory, HOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 4:15pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There should at least be a disclaimer stating how long someone has trained at a place. I don't remember if I stated that explicitly in mine, but it should be fairly obvious that I was there for years before writing the review. Something I notice is that my opinion changed over time without comparing to other places, and that it has changed significantly since training at new places. It's pretty hard to wrtie a meaningful review without having trained at multiple locations, 'cause ultimately it's a comparison to other gyms out there and you can't do a good comparison without having something to compare to.

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 4:40pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why reviews are attached to discussion threads.
    Also, anyone else can rate the school themselves in that same thread for an aggregate rating to ensure fairness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 9:14pm

Style: TKD/karate/jkd noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell I have a better opinion of my old school after checking out some of these places around the city.

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 10:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dojo I've been going too seems to be a really crappy place. Any people in the Montreal area, NEVER go to any thing labeled Chito-Ryu Karate, its absolute bullshit, unless you like training the same set of pretty much useless movements untill you are authorized by his majesty the Sensei Thierry Debeur to learn the next set of movements. He is also a real asshole who is constantly fussing about crazy things like the arrangement of your gi, the lineup of the class, following the count, bowing "correctly", etc... a real waste of time and money.

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 8:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/ Muay Thau

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally agree with your statement, however, I think that these measurements are somewhat meant to be subjective and relativistic. What I mean is if a school in LA is NY is the ultimate measuring stick, then nobody's school is going to get decent scores. Also, if one is looking for a school in lets say the Wichita KS area they only need to know that the school is a ten compared to all the other schools in the area. This person is obviously not in the market for a school in Miami FL. Your point however is valid and I will in the future be less generous with my ratings.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123