Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 1:27am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was talking to everyone willing to answer :)

I was meaning more are thais fighting MMA regularly and is it showing up on fight cards? I know the thai people also like western boxing, so I was curious if MMA was catching on or if it is seen as a "rival' to muay thai.

your answers were informative, though.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 5:13am

Style: MT Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There have been a few MMA fights down here in Phuket.
    Will (TMT owner) & Ray (MMA coach) are working hard to get the MMA scene going down here in Phuket. There are plans for a stadium with a cage in the not to distant future & they have built a good working relationship with the guys from Bangkok Fight Club.

In fact in 2 weeks Ngoo one of the trainers here is having his first MMA fight in Bangla stadium.

For the most part Thais don't get MMA, Muay Thai is their naional sport & as far they're concerned the pinnacle of fighting .... But the minute a Thai starts making a name (& mon ey) in MMA they'll change their minds.
    Last edited by Buffman; 9/05/2007 5:30am at .

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had fun at mine, 2001. Spicy food. I used my leave for 2 years to go travel and fight train, emulating Ryu. Made stops in Thailand, Brazil, Japan, and around the US.

Not too many other 225(then) lb black guys there, but I didn't feel out of place.

MMA is gaining in popularity in Thailand last I was there. There are several dedicated Muay-Thai for MMA type camps going right now, about 5ish that I can name off the top of my head. They've been having MMA events there for about a year now or so.

I think it will get big as now the lighter-weight Thai boxers can maybe take their skills to the resurgent light-weight mma divisions in the big leagues.

Phuket, Kata beach...mmmm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 12:33am

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm here now. Alive. Sore. Buffman is as buff as his name indicates, but far less jockular. Thais are hilarious.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011