Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 10:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MT Camps in Thailand: Impressions?

Hi guys, a friend of mine and I are looking to head to Thailand and do MT over the summer, for about 2 months full time. At the minute we're looking at this place:

Phuket Muay Thai

The deals seem very reasonable and it looks like a good place. Does anyone have any first hand experience? What about anywhere else in Thailand for MT? What about anyone you know?

Gimme info, guys. This trip is gonna cost a lot of money and I want to get the best training I can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 10:42am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Need a bit more information. What is your previous MT experience? What are your goals? Do you want a social life while here, or strictly training? What is your budget? Do you want to fight? Do you like seafood.? There are tons of factors that need to be considered when choosing a camp. Many people try and choose based onthe hokey concept of "the best camp in Thailand", when in reality I would recommend considering the best camp for you. If you give a few more details, maybe some can help. I have a bit of experience in the north.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 10:46am

Style: MT Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know anyone who has trained there?

I don#t think i've met anyone that's trained there, but I do know for certain that some camps use their foreign students like cash cows and Don't always give them the most from the training.

"Harder, Faster.... very good" rather than "Turn over more. Gaurd up, more balanced"

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 11:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You ask a very good question ocatvius.

I have practically no MT experience. I have a tiny amount of boxing training - probably the equivalent of someone who's been doing it for a month. I want to train pretty much all day, or at least build up to that, and relax at night, maybe go out one night a week when i dont have training the next day. I dont like seafood.

My budget is approx 800-900 which i believe is something like $1700 US.

EDIT: Duh. That's my overall budget for everything. My budget for training and accomodation is about 200-300 or $400 US

I want to get a fight at the end of my time there, or at the very least be at the level where I could fight and do reasonably well.

Buffman, that's basically what I'm concerned about. I want proper quality training. It would be stupid of me to say that I'm going to try as hard as I possibly can but i'm certainly going to make a big effort, and I know from BJJ that I tend to get sucked into a system and really enjoy training, even if it's physically demanding. So I don't mind being worked hard, and I'm not afraid of hard sparring, as long as I'm benefiting from it and not getting smacked around without learning anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 11:58am

Style: MT Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An American MMA fighter, Chad Klingensmith, I trained with in Chiang Mai had good things to say about the Muay Thai in this place

http://www.mmaphuket.com/index.htm

Plus it's got the mma classes & the possability of fighting either style at the end of your stay

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 1:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That place looks very good. I do want to fight in MMA eventually so that would be ideal altho iI'd prefer to concentrate on the MT while i was there. Thanks for your help.

If anyone else has any recommendations or genereal musings about training or the trip that'd be great.

('._.)

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 5:04pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive been all over Thailand and I trained at the WMC camp in Koh Samui, which is a touristy island similar to Phuket. But I had a lot of money and wasnt really worrying about living like a monk there, I did a lot of partying.
    If you are on a really tight budged a touristy place like Phuket is not the best place since its one of the most expensive places in Thailand. And obviously the temptations of partying and fucking Thai chicks that will look at you like a walking ATM if you are white are very high.
    400 bucks for 2 months really seems a small amount of spending money to me.

Lanna Camp in Chang Mai might be good choice since that city is a lot cheaper than the southern islands. And also Ubon or any other city in the Isaan (northeast Thailand) area. Or if you can handle the polution and loudness of Bangkok Kaewsamrit is supposed to be one of the best camps in Thailand. But like I said, I suggest you save up more money than 400 bucks because you always end up spending more money than you plan to on a trip like this.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    Ive been all over Thailand and I trained at the WMC camp in Koh Samui, which is a touristy island similar to Phuket. But I had a lot of money and wasnt really worrying about living like a monk there, I did a lot of partying.
    If you are on a really tight budged a touristy place like Phuket is not the best place since its one of the most expensive places in Thailand. And obviously the temptations of partying and fucking Thai chicks that will look at you like a walking ATM if you are white are very high.
    400 bucks for 2 months really seems a small amount of spending money to me.

Lanna Camp in Chang Mai might be good choice since that city is a lot cheaper than the southern islands. And also Ubon or any other city in the Isaan (northeast Thailand) area. Or if you can handle the polution and loudness of Bangkok Kaewsamrit is supposed to be one of the best camps in Thailand. But like I said, I suggest you save up more money than 400 bucks because you always end up spending more money than you plan to on a trip like this.

hey! i went to WMC too!

it was a great camp and it will be as serious as you want it to be. a lot of people come through and are all enthusiastic the first day and then they come every other day after that or are too partied out.

most camps run a dawn session and a mid afternoon session, and you should do BOTH.

you don't want to have a ring fight there if you have no experience, you will get KILLED.

lanna muay thai in chaing mai is supposed to be great.

you definitely need more money for 2 months there.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 9:17pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to agree that a $300-$400 budget might be a bit tight, especially for the south.

Chiang Mai and Issarn a lot more manageable on a tight budget, though obviously there is no beach and accompanying nightlife. But then from the sounds of things, I'm not sure you can afford too much of a nightlife.

There are several camps in and around Chiang Mai. There is Lanna, Chai Yai, Siam Number One, The Sangha, and I've heard that Kawilla has opened a camp.

Lanna and Chai Yai are the biggest camps, and support the most tourists. Lanna covers a wide spectrum of abilities. At this time of year, they are very busy, with many "day boxers" or week-long tourists. The quality of training may be a little bit more thin, simply because of numbers, and long-term fighters get more of a priority. Since you are going over the summer, this won't be an issue at all. There are some fantastic trainers there, and you should be able to get ample attention.

If you are very serious about the actual training aspect, Andy has opened the mountain camp near Doi Modt. You can opt to spend time at the camp, however it is definitely roughing it. There is no electricity, and you usually carry your food in when you go. The runs are all either uphill or downhill. Most importantly, there are only serious trainers, and only books to distract you.

I haven't trained at Chai Yai, but they seem to be second only to Lanna in terms of producing fighters on the cards here.

The Sangha is Pedro Villalobos' camp. I'm sure Buffman could answer more with more current information, as I haven't been to the camp since Pedro openend it back in '03. Pedro is a great guy with a wealth of knowledge. When I was there, it was to learn Krabi-Krabong and Muay Boran after I severely damaged my foot in a fight. At that time, he did not train fighters, but as Buffman can attest, I am sure that has changed. The sessions have more of a class feel, and the groups are capped at a certain number, so you are guaranteed a lot of attention.

That's all I can think of for now, but I am sure I have missed stuff. If you have any other specific questions, or perhaps I missed something... let me know.

Posted On:
    1/21/2007 12:05am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Moose
    You ask a very good question ocatvius.

I have practically no MT experience. I have a tiny amount of boxing training - probably the equivalent of someone who's been doing it for a month. I want to train pretty much all day, or at least build up to that, and relax at night, maybe go out one night a week when i dont have training the next day. I dont like seafood.

My budget is approx 800-900 which i believe is something like $1700 US.

EDIT: Duh. That's my overall budget for everything. My budget for training and accomodation is about 200-300 or $400 US

I want to get a fight at the end of my time there, or at the very least be at the level where I could fight and do reasonably well.

Buffman, that's basically what I'm concerned about. I want proper quality training. It would be stupid of me to say that I'm going to try as hard as I possibly can but i'm certainly going to make a big effort, and I know from BJJ that I tend to get sucked into a system and really enjoy training, even if it's physically demanding. So I don't mind being worked hard, and I'm not afraid of hard sparring, as long as I'm benefiting from it and not getting smacked around without learning anything.
    I've only been to the Fairtex gym in bangkok, and here's what I think.

They are a very commercial gym with good trainers, but you sometimes have to push yourself because they're not going to push you too hard. I think the trainers have been told to let you enjoy yourself rather than punish you. I see the way they train the thai kids and it's different, they really push the kids.

My trainer did stop me constantly to correct mistakes though, and the trainers I met there were even-tempered and very patient. They don't speak much english though, besides being able to say punch, kick, block, teep, knee, elbow. The owner Anthony and the guy who answers emails, Tien Fairtex, can speak very good English though, so you can talk to them if you need anything. They also had very good equipment and facilities, and a resort like place. You'll also get to meet the legend himself, Apidej.

They have a gym where you can run on the treadmill in the mornings and afternoons. Some other westerners who stayed there preferred that as traffic is congested even at 6 in the morning, and there are wild dogs packs who will follow you when you run, and they thought it was too dangerous. If it bothers you, this can be a good thing (the treadmills).

Another pro is you get to buy quality fairtex equipment at dirt cheap prices.

Con is that it's very very expensive to stay at the camp.

I think I will try a Chiangmai camp next time.

Important thing is if you're not very fit, or think you'll be able to follow the thai fighter's program, choose a gym which is used to foreigners and will allow you some leeway to slack. They run 15kms everyday, 10 in the morning, 5 in the afternoon, then back for 30mins of skipping non-stop, then 2 hours of pad and bag work and some days 1 hour of clinch sparring.

I think few people will be able to take to that immediately for 6 days a week, so that's another thing you need to consider.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast