Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 4:52am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    you say vanity like its a bad thing. you know what the opposite of vanity is? fat chicks.
    You know, I think you're getting funnier.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 7:19am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    Sorry, should have expanded a bit... I meant that rather than eating broiled chicken breast 6 times a day, you could eat a ribeye, or a porkchop, or a bucket of KFC and the additional fat would just trickle out of your pooper-chute, like it was a George Forman grill.
    Poetic, but disturbing. Gonna go puke now, thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 9:44am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    you say vanity like its a bad thing. you know what the opposite of vanity is? fat chicks.
    Not always.

And that's why they invented beer.

[insert old joke about fat chicks and motor scooters here]

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    My position is also influenced by my suspicion that prescription drugs for weight loss are a huge industry in the US (I haven't got the figures ready to hand, but I think they're huge - ironically).
    The most popular and effective prescription weight loss drugs are now available as generics and prices are lower than many OTC supplements. The business of selling useless OTC crap to fat, lazy and stupid people is the REALLY huge industry here in the US.

With the possible exception of some (potential though minor) fat-soluble vitamin deficiency, Xenical (orlistat) is REMARKABLY safe, and very effective.

Phentermine is empirically safer than ephedra and FAR more effective.

Is your problem specifically with prescription drugs? Would you take issue if people wasted money on less effective, more dangerous and more expensive "supplements" instead?

Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    Perhaps I associate the need for enhanced fat loss as somehow a mix of pathological vanity, self-manipulation (of a mechanical kind) and the commercial creation of false needs.
    Even if fat people didn't have a plethora of health issues to deal with (notably, the ever looming spectre of a surgeon sawing off their foot) there's the fundamental fact that some people just don't want to be FAT.

If you think that lean people are mean and suck and that fat people should be left alone and not have their feelings hurt, then you might consider that people who WANT to loose weight have feelings too, and that calling them vain or shallow is pretty fucking rude, perhaps a tad hypocritical, and worst of all very discouraging. Rather than being chastised for trying to improve themselves and shamed into being content with obesity, they should be encouraged to work toward achieving their goals.

It's hard enough for some people to even admit that they care about their weight because once they do then they're even more vulnerable to criticism. Telling them that they're WRONG for being concerned is just ass-hattery of the highest order.

Also, for what it's worth, Kat has an excellent reason, far beyond vanity, to loose weight. She consistently laments the small pool of opponents available to her at her current weight. Dropping several pounds could be quite a boon to her career.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if everyone was as vain as i am there wouldnt be an obesity problem

agree with dave though, its sad how people can be looked down at for caring about their weight. its a health issue. would you look down at someone who wanted to get their STD cleaned up?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 1:57pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to fight lighter girls is all.

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Didn't I just say that?

[checks English - Jawjah dictionary]

Yup.

...I...exercise a buttload already
    Just to satisfy the "drugs are bad, m'kay?" crowd, could you give us an idea of what kind of training you've been doing lately? Weights, cardio, gr4ppl3, stand-up, etc?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sdave, I would +rep you for that post if I could. Check your pm when you get a chance, I got a question for ya.
    Alex, I would +rep you, too... and put on a shirt, for the love of God!!!!

Kat, how much weight are planning to lose, and how soon????? Just curious.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 3:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to ask; I've seen the goddamn TV ads, Is 'Relacore' shite or not?

I'm reading this right now: http://stress-related-weight-gain.eq...nutrition.com/

Anyone had any experience with CortiDrene?
    Last edited by Neildo; 1/24/2007 3:15pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 3:19pm

Style: Muay Thai, Kali, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normally people who ask me this don't go to the gym. The standard response is that you should weight train, do some HIIT, and watch what you're eating. However, I don't think this is going to work for you- you do interval training every time you train. Are you lifting now? If so, you should consider how you're lifting.

I've used two suppliments personally- the old-school, ephedra-based Hydroxycut, and Biotest's new HotRox Extreme (the raspberry one). Both work very well, but you have to use them in conjunction with a very clean diet. How many times a day do you eat? How many calories? How much protein? If you're not sure about any of this stuff, you should look at what you're eating because that will probably make a more substantial change. I don't know about perscription suppliments, but I had success with the two OTC supps above.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast