Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 2:39pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rib cramp...I think

Hey all, I did a search and didn't come up with anything that answered my question so I thought I'd ask (apologies if it has been asked before).

For about a week or so now when I've been working the bag hard I get this odd and annoying cramp on the rightside of my rib cage. If I stop for a a couple of seconds it goes away but presistantly comes back once I start throwing punches again and I ussually end up having to give up on the session. It doesn't hurt afterwards or day to day so I'm pretty sure it's not a strain or fracture. It flares up for the duration of my bag workout and then once I stop vanishes completely. I've never had this problem before and I'm used to working on the bag/shadow boxing for upwards of 90 minutes, now I can't even finish an hour before I have to stop.

I also just started lifting light free weights, nothing more then twenty pounds and nothing to strenous but maybe it's related...

On a side note, a couple of weeks ago I rolled with a grappler for a little while and was basically getting my ass kicked. Is this a common injury amongst wrestlers? Or has anyone experienced this kind of persistent but ultimately vanishing pain before? Or finally, as my endurance increases should I be warming up longer or any particular stretches? It's occured to me to see a doctor but for a pain that doesn't effect my everyday life seems kind of like overkill. Thanks--L

oh, I forgot to add. The pain isn't followed or preceded by shortness of breath, chest pain or anything like that.
    Last edited by theword; 1/19/2007 2:44pm at .

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 4:31pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, actually, after the first time I rolled for real I had a pain in my ribs on the upper right side. It would occasionally flare up when I exercised. I eventually forgot about it, then the NEXt time I rolled after that my ribs broke in that spot. Perhaps you have a minor fracture or something; rib injuries are kinda wierd about what causes them to hurt or not, take it from me.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 8:46pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about it just being a stitch? I never used to get them but now I'm thinking that maybe I'm going harder on the bag then I used to so I might not be breathing correctly or something along those lines. Anybody have any breathing tips?

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 12:46am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, the good ole' side stitch. I get it from running (and occasionally in Judo) if I don't carefully watch my breathing or I eat too close to workout time.

Check the Wiki on it here: Side Stitch.

I also remember reading somewhere that some people are just simply more prone to have it occur than others, so it looks like you got the short end of the genetic stick there.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."