Sponsored Links Spacer Image

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anybody here worked with an autistic child?

Posting on forums doesn't count.

I'm volunteering in a program at my uni for physical activity for mentally disabled kids, and I'm going to be working with an autistic 9 year old. We play a variety of games for about an hour, then switch over and go to the pool for an hour. The kid is supposed to be generally easy to handle, has a very high energy, but has trouble changing activities quickly.

Any advice?
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:16pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *5 years as a mental health professional*

-Don't change activities quickly.

-warn the kid at 20, 15, 10, 5 and 1 minute before it is time to switch. Don't let it be a surprise.

-When it is time to switch. Switch. This will suck at first (and for a while) because the kid will resist and try to train you to stop trying. Don't let the kid train you. Be quiet, be clam, be consistent.

-Remember, the kid is not entirely in conttrol of how activity switching makes him feel, and he will react childishly, even though you don't think it's abig deal. It is a big deal to him. Be sensitive to that.

-Never get frustrated. Ever. Even if you are frustrated...no one knows it but you.

-Have fun. Seriously...if you are having fun, he will. It's contagious to kids.

good luck.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the tips, sounds like what our instructor told us

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My stepmother's youngest child is a semi-functional autist...and it sucks. Random yelling, singing, wandering, and generally unpredictable behavior.

Do you have any idea what his function level is?

Knowing this could be the difference between receiving a semi-lucid response to a question/direction or spending hours trying to stop the kid from screaming and flailing.

Good luck!

---

BTW, what is up with your fixation on young asian men for avatars? Last time I checked, you're a silly, slightly effeminate white guy...

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    My stepmother's youngest child is a semi-functional autist...and it sucks. Random yelling, singing, wandering, and generally unpredictable behavior.

Do you have any idea what his function level is?

Knowing this could be the difference between receiving a semi-lucid response to a question/direction or spending hours trying to stop the kid from screaming and flailing.

Good luck!

---

BTW, what is up with your fixation on young asian men for avatars? Last time I checked, you're a silly, slightly effeminate white guy...
    hahaha, they're all singers I like... plus it's an anti-yellow fever for women thing

obviously, I'm silly... and I only look beautiful, I don't act it~