Page 45 of 45 First ... 354142434445

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me say I used to be Stephen Oliver's Mile High Karate about 5 years ago...it sucked! I went on a smaller fee, about $1000 per year...stupid idea i quit 9 months in suprising i lasted that long!
    by that time i was 13 already in it (that is martial arts in general not the specific system) for 8 years, the majority of the black belts were new they worked for any where from 2-3 years to get it, and they were about 9 years old and couldn't preform techniques correctly. I saw this one, got it on two years he was 6!!!!!! no joke!!!!
    I found out you literally bought your belt, except for the masters there i was so far advanced compared to the rest. There was no discipline either. I went to the Littleton station or so they called it, but guess what there was a lot of fraud and stuff going on at the particular one that it shut down, now the building is empty even after years of of walking by it to and from high school.
    Anyway, I just wanted to express my anger. It was so unaffordable and they didn't even show true martial arts values. they showed little like 'one steps' or that's the term i am used to but as previously mentioned showed interest in kata only.....plus you could complete screw up and still pass! And you had to go to a tournament in order to go to the next belt and they were held 3 times a year at 50-100 dollars to sign up!
    The original system i was in, made you stay where you were if you didn't pass a kata or other techniques which was great now that i think about it since i was like 7 when i didn't pass once coz i didn't practice enough to get it right.
    I had a friend at one time, he is no longer my friend, who was a black belt at the system of mile high karate who was in it 4 years...i was in it 8 in a previous system, he sucked and is still in it at 3rd level 5 years later, not sure how as the people in the system can't even fight properly.
    Thanks for making a threat on it! Mile High Karate needs to be exposed!
    God Bless!
    Last edited by arap; 6/17/2010 10:00pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this thread is crazy old- but I was wondering if in the last 7,8,9+ years if there had been any significant changes for the better (or worse) or is it still status quo from all that has been posted in this thread already?
    I visited a location (for my young daughter) and was impressed with the class structure and instructors. Some of the things that everyone is against (homework, character development through activities, reading logs ....) seem like a selling point for me. Also my daughter would hate any kind of grappling sports (doesn't even like hugs from friends or family) so I am trying to find a place that is a good fit for her. That is why I am leaning towards Karate and/or TKD. It almost seems that all places that 'fit' her have contracts and set ups similar to MHK so I am at a loss. Hoping to hear that things have changed for the best in the last decade!!

It does appear that the contracts are still in full swing and $$$ (not sure about those yet- still doing a 'free' trial period).

Sorry to bring back a zombie thread (and yes- I read all of it :-) )- but I would really appreciate insight to this place as it is now and thought the history already in this thread helped.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MamKarate View Post
    I know this thread is crazy old- but I was wondering if in the last 7,8,9+ years if there had been any significant changes for the better (or worse) or is it still status quo from all that has been posted in this thread already?
    I visited a location (for my young daughter) and was impressed with the class structure and instructors. Some of the things that everyone is against (homework, character development through activities, reading logs ....) seem like a selling point for me
    I think you misunderstand. Whether it is purposely or defensiveness and personal bias, well that I am unclear on.

No one here is against "homework, character development through activities, reading logs ...". The problem is that those personal development skills seem to be all they are offering. By all accounts there is zero real skill being imparted. No contact in training, no control when competing. You pay, you show up and you get your belt for participation and with it an inflated sense of self worth.

Also my daughter would hate any kind of grappling sports (doesn't even like hugs from friends or family) so I am trying to find a place that is a good fit for her. That is why I am leaning towards Karate and/or TKD. It almost seems that all places that 'fit' her have contracts and set ups similar to MHK so I am at a loss.
    The quotes listed around the web and in this thread are insanely expensive and that was 7-10 years ago. You can get some of the best Martial Arts training at Olympic and National level at those costs, not just strangers in pajamas doing your job as a parent.

Before you take offense, think on it. That is what teaching morality, work ethic, character development, getting homework done, and motivating your child to accomplish what the goals they want is. Unless they spar hard under a fairly loose ruleset you are just paying for the kids to go through the movements of martial arts without any of the real challenges or character building experiances. 16 year old (and younger) blackbelts are usually nothing more than victims of a money grab.

Hoping to hear that things have changed for the best in the last decade!!
    Nahhhh.

Why would they change their money making machine? If anything Mr Oliver has now moved even further away from martial training and useable skills. Hard training and performance based rewards always chip away at the bottom line and customer rentention. No one wants to train for 2 years to get a green belt or be told children don't get blackbelts. You give the customer what they want.

It does appear that the contracts are still in full swing and $$$ (not sure about those yet- still doing a 'free' trial period).
    Let us know what they quote you, please. When ever a company hides the price I am always concerned.

Sorry to bring back a zombie thread (and yes- I read all of it :-) )- but I would really appreciate insight to this place as it is now and thought the history already in this thread helped.
    No problem. Thank you for posting and conversing with us. It is what we are here for. Hopefully Mr. Oliver will swing back by and give us some updates.

Pure Faith Based Martial Arts. Look through the technique videos and try to find any of them being applied in the sparring videos.

...and here is his Youtube channel. Note the focus of the videos.

Here is the Mile High Karate schools channel
    Please note: the constant stop and start, flailing arms, judo chops, wild jumping and complete lack of control in the "fight" videos, from the Blackbelts. The skills shown are .... mediocre at best.

Don't take my word for it, dig in there and compare the kata and technique videos to the comps. Compare MHK tourney and comps to other traditional Karate comps and tourneys.

But hey if you are looking for an expensive asian themed adult and child daycare center, this place sounds fun but really expensive. If you are looking to start a mediocre MA school with no MA experience this dude is definitely the guy to collude with.

I am open to being wrong and honestly hope I am in most of these situations. I want children and parents to be happy and getting their money's worth. Maybe they have tightened up their program and produce results in the last four years. I can't find anything past (video wise) 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is interesting.

Mile High Karate's adult only martial arts programs in Denver Colorado, Orlando Florida, Dunkirk Maryland, Fresno California, Dodge City Kansas, Dayton Ohio
    I have so much stuff to do and 3 other schools lined up to see ... no promises but I want to check out that Dayton School. I didn't know it existed in the 5 years I lived there.

Oh never mind it is Meng's MA. I know those cats, they must have bought into the Karate Program but strangely enough it isn't listed on their sites except on the signage and name.

The head instructor is Master Instructor Kung Fu Jerry ... but he appears to be pretending to be a karate guy here is the main instructor's site.
    Mr. Jeremy Roadruck
    5th Degree Black Belt (in what?)
    Master Instructor, at Mengs Martial Arts of Centerville & Mile High Karate in Centerville, Ohio
    Speaker, Teacher, Author, Catalyst
    Transformational Expert and Coach for Families and Children
    #1 International Best-Selling Author on amazon.com
    --- http://www.centervilleohiokarate.com...nd-assistants/

Even tho he doesn't appear here on the Meng's other other other site I know he is a chunner, I am pretty sure I met him when I was looking into going to the Ving Tsun Museum actually.

Long story short he is a Wing Chun guy who is marketing himself (as a karate guy?) a Kids/Family Self Help Guru just like Mr. Oliver.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 45 of 45 First ... 354142434445