The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 4:55pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by swseibukan
    Good stick work if you're a majorette.
    Sorry, but it pretty much looked like every Karate competition I have ever seen.

Unless you can post a "Heart Attack Close" then your really stretching the criticism, even for newbs.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 5:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Seibukan Shorinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Askari]Sorry, but it pretty much looked like every Karate competition I have ever seen.quote]

So you've been to the Paul Mitchell type XMA events but have you ever been to an AAU or WUKO event?

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 5:25pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem is I get spam from him everyday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 11:43pm

Style: Mixed grappling & fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Wood
    How is character development part of learning to punch/kick/choke/etc. someone so that you can physically impose your will onto them? Never did understand that whole concept...
    You show up, work hard, and continue doing so, even if you suck at it at first, you're sore from the previous session, or you're just in a lazy mood that day and don't want to go. Really, any sport can teach it, but few of them really talk about it as much as some MA books/schools/etc. I've never seen an instructor or coach reward it formally before. Like I said, it's a bit goofy, but not a bad thing.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 10:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the majority of people here are asking if this guy has made any claims that he can't back up - World Champion of So-and-So, No Touch KOs, personally taught the entire US army in H2H, that kinda thing. Is it a McDojo? It sure looks like it. But McDojo's don't need to be debunked, while fraud does.

Think of it this way - think of a cheap fast food joint. Everyone knows they serve inferior burgers. Okay, no biggie - they aren't claiming to do anything else. Most people here aren't going to jump on the protesters' bandwagon unless that fast food place is claiming to serve prime rib and lobster tail...
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 1:15pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm interested if there is any proof he's actually charging people over $300 a month, and for what services?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 1:52pm

Style: Tactical, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not trying to crucify the guy. Just stating that he's very McDojo. I already provided the core of my reference material, those being the book mentioned in the first post and prior experience. By all means, I would love to have somebody check into that book. You can get it any number of places online. This forum is labeled "Martial Arts BS, Fraud, and Investigations" is it not? I'm not claiming the first two, just asking for the third. So I throw out what I know, hope people with more experience at finding this kind of thing dig deeper, and wait for somebody to give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Also, I'm not sure what qualifies as a breach of contract if I disclose specifics about the billing.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 2:13pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    I'm interested if there is any proof he's actually charging people over $300 a month, and for what services?
    I am so in the wrong business.

I need this guys business model.

Courage, if you are a salesman working for his company, you've sold me on buying his franchise. Which now that my suspicious mind thinks about it. This is entirely possible that that is what you are. ... ... But then again, my spidey sense for sock-puppets usually only works agains people that do kung-fu.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 2:13pm

Style: WMA (various)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    Edited into a link to the book on Amazon. Using their "search inside this book" feature you can get to the article; it starts on page 215, and searching for "215" will get you there.

A key passage (pp. 218):

"[T]eachers are the easiest employees to find and the least expensive to hire. Years ago, I developed systems that systematically produce quality martial arts teachers both through six-week intensive "quick-start" programs and through systematic cultivation from our population of thousands of martial arts students (our customers)."

Are students made aware that six weeks of intensive training would be sufficient for them to become "quality teachers" by the standards of this organization?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 2:35pm

Style: WMA (various)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This page offers some specific claims about the benefits of training in Mile High Karate. Perhaps unsurprisingly, self-defence is listed last among the justifications, behind losing weight, developing self-confidence, etc. However, it does make this statement: "[Y]ou will learn to strike with tremendous power and effectiveness."

Should anyone feel inclined to check into things, that page presents an offer of two free weeks of instruction and a list of locations, eight of which are in Colorado.
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast