Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 4:50pm

Style: Tactical, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stephen Oliver's Million Dollar McDojo

Stephen Oliver and his "Mile High Karate" franchise are clear cut bullshido. It's a wonder he's still around. His material consists of nothing but kata where the meanings are never analyzed and watered down, non-functional combinations from several different styles. Not to mention the outrageous fees ($300 - $1000 a month).
    As if this weren't enough, he obviously values the martial arts and his instructors very little as in the book
    Wealth Attraction for Entrepeneurs by Dan Kennedy where Oliver guest writes an "expert" essay:

"In retrospect, my early success was almost completely due to recognizing that it was most important to become an excellent marketer of martial arts lessons, and least important to be a 'master of the martial arts'."

Oliver also goes on to state the ease of hiring low wage, easily trained (as little as 6 weeks), and easily replaced instructors.

I have seen what little there is on Oliver on the forums and thought it was time to really shed some light on this guy.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    Stephen Oliver and his "Mile High Karate" franchise are clear cut bullshido. It's a wonder he's still around. His material consists of nothing but kata where the meanings are never analyzed and watered down, non-functional combinations from several different styles. Not to mention the outrageous fees ($300 - $1000 a month).
    As if this weren't enough, he obviously values the martial arts and his instructors very little as in the book
    Wealth Attraction for Entrepeneurs by Dan Kennedy where Oliver guest writes an "expert" essay:

"In retrospect, my early success was almost completely due to recognizing that it was most important to become an excellent marketer of martial arts lessons, and least important to be a 'master of the martial arts'."

Oliver also goes on to state the ease of hiring low wage, easily trained (as little as 6 weeks), and easily replaced instructors.

I have seen what little there is on Oliver on the forums and thought it was time to really shed some light on this guy.
    Well most users will say this but I will be the first. If you are a former student, employee, lover, etc., then it is good to make a note of that first and foremost. The members here don't like to be used to help someone settle a personal grudge.

Next for the book and the information contained. I haven't read it but now I'm curious. If anyone else here has read it or can get a copy that would be great. Also, if you could provide a link to the specific quotes in this book that would be just as awsome. It would be verifiable and concrete proof as to what his personal beliefs towards the martial arts, martial arts training, and running a school are. Concrete proof, always wins the day. It may not be enough for everyone, but if it helps one person to stay away from this guy and people like him then it's a job well done.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 5:34pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    that it was most important to become an excellent marketer of martial arts lessons, and least important to be a 'master of the martial arts'.
    He's right. There are a lot of martial arts clubs that dont make ends meet, regardless of the ability of the instructor.

Ever read anything about Rorion Gracie? He realized this as well and created the UFC as part of his marketing plan for Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    The members here don't like to be used to help someone settle a personal grudge.
    Exactly, the whole story would definitely be worth having here.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 12:03am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like a smart guy - never mind the mcdojoism

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 12:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So no one has a problem with new students being trained to instructor level in 6 weeks?

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 12:12am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you know this? Are you a former student or instructor of his? I ask because its relevant to the reliability of your information.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 12:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a student at one time until I realized the system has very little to do with self-defense and/or fighting.

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 12:17am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, do you have a link to the website for his school?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 12:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 12:57am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!