Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 8:16pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But of course, and you don't already know her?:)

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 9:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    But of course, and you don't already know her?:)
    My list is so backlogged with requests...

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 9:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taegyeon's kicking mechanics are completely different, and none of the factors supporting its kicking mechanics, footwork, etc, crossed over to TKD.
    The Axe kick in TKD is directly from TaeKyeon. The axe kick was originally used by TaeKyeon practitioners to knock soldiers off of horses and has been a part of Korean martial arts for many years, and not surprisingly, it found itself into Tae Kwon Do's kicking repertoire when Choi decided to make a more "Korean" art.

I agree that many of TKD's mechanics are evolved from karate, and to say it isn't would be foolish, since even Choi himself admitted to the art being mainly influenced by Karate with a few Korean style kicks thrown in. Getting back to my squash vs racquetball analogy, squash is a direct descendant of racquetball, owes many of its rules to racquetball, but there are some subtle differences that make it different from racquetball, but to say they're the same sport wouldn't be accurate.

is it necessary to make your posts a page long and boring? btw i dont know why but when i hear you talk you seem like a perfect example of mcdojo student that puts too much pride in you martial arts.... if your school school is good then it should put up by having some of their students compete in full contact matches...
    1. I don't mean to be rude but if you seem to have a very short attention span. Internet messageboards are full of long posts. If you can't pay attention to them, it's not my fault, it's yours.

2. We already have students competing in state tourneys.

3. If you can't put pride in your martial arts, maybe you shouldn't be a martial artist.

Re: Kwondo Strike: Kwondo Strike is the club's cardio kickboxing class which has nothing to do with TMA (Which is short for Taekwondo Masters Academy).

And please do not try to objectify our female instructors. It's very rude. You wouldn't like it if your female instructors or students at your school were objectified like that, now would you.
    Last edited by ColdRedRainstor; 10/28/2007 9:38pm at . Reason: Added responses.

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 9:34pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, we wouldn't care.

Secondly, is there any proof in the form of a Korean historical document that demonstrates ax kick was actually used to kick any warrior off a horse. Think about it very carefully, someone jumps up to kick someone about six or seven feet off the ground. This person has a sword, and is presumably trained in how to use it. He may even be wearing armor. How does the kicker not get his leg cut off.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 9:56pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMFG. Did you seriously just bust out the kicking soldiers off of horses **** on here?! You have GOT to be smoking crack rock. I have both a horse AND a black belt in TKD. The horse is pretty shorty only about 15 hands high. I would be a little bit tall for an asian as I stand 5'7". If I throw an axe kick in the direction of this horse I can thunk her on the shoulder. She does not move. The rider is in no way disturbed. Were this horse a war-trained horse it would probably trample me in response. I have cleared 6 kicking shields stacked on top of each other with jump sidekicks, if I run at the horse and attempt to jump side kick the rider I come NO WHERE NEAR the kind of solid chest high impact it would take to dislodge them. In fact I again thump the horse in the shoulder and she becomes quite perturbed at me.

Anyone who believes that running around jumpkicking people off of horses is even remotely possible has never been anywhere near any kind of horse, much less a war trained horse.

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 10:24pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdRedRainstor
    The Axe kick in TKD is directly from TaeKyeon.
    The ax kick in TKD more likely came from Sibpalgi or Gwonbeop, Korean kungfu systems, which had a wider variety of kicking techniques than the karate present in Korea at the time, and these KCMA systems had a much wider following at the time of the Japanese occupation than Tagyeon did.

The axe kick was originally used by TaeKyeon practitioners to knock soldiers off of horses and has been a part of Korean martial arts for many years, and not surprisingly, it found itself into Tae Kwon Do's kicking repertoire when Choi decided to make a more "Korean" art.
    It is physically impossible to ax kick someone off a horse. A human being's legs are too short, and a the angle would be wrong.

Thirdly, Taegyeon was not the system of combat used on the battlefield in the Yi Dynasty. Don't believe me? Go read the Muyedobotongji.

Preferrably in the original Chinese characters.

Fourthly, Choi did not invent TKD.

As far as horsekicking, there is a wide variety of mounted techniques taught in Yi Dynasty Korean martial arts, under the collective heading of Masang Muye. Kicking riders off of horses is not included in the curriculum, and I can imagine a Masang Muye instructor laughing his ass off at the idea.

If you want to knock a rider off a horse Korean style...get a spear.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 10/28/2007 10:26pm at .

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 11:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that how it had more than the 8 standard belts of TKD They have 14 belts until you reach your first dan so that scared me off at first. I cannot defend the revenue rainbow tactics of the club there and I will not defend how they have 14 belts when WTF officially uses only 8 belt levels and the fact that you have to sign a contract with the club. But what made my mind change was how every Tae Kwon Do club I've went to after my planned defection offered black belts within a year, or their "black belts" knew (Pardon my French) jaques merde about martial arts.
    Depends on the testing fees I guess. If they charge alot, that extra 4 belts might be extra money. Who knows. Also depends on what a test is like too.

Actually, the origins of TKD stem from a hybridization of Taekyon and Shotokan. And I know how in the early days of TKD, TKD was labeled Korean Karate when MA's were new to the general public. Some argue that it's just a variant of Shotokan but it's its own art in its own right.
    Nope. Kwan leaders mostly all studied in universities during the occupation, that's where they picked up the karate. Taekyon wasn't a part of TKD, that was thrown in with the 2000 yr bogus history to make the system seem more "Korean", which is ridiculous, one just has to look at a practictioner, the traditions of the system, and the forms and basics to see otherwise. I would say TKD is as different from Shotokan as Isshinryu or any of the other substyles are. Still based mostly in Okinawan/Japanese karate.

And what made those clubs McDojos wasn't just the fact that they were labeling themselves as "karate" schools, but rather, they were calling themselves a school of an art that they weren't qualified to teach, charging 65 dollars a month to teach it, and then issuing black belts within a year.
    65 bux a month is actually not bad compared to some of the Olympic WTF schools I've seen.

The issuing of black belts in a year is also characteristic of some of the Olympic WTF schools I've seen and practiced at.

As far as the qualifications to teach, without seeing a class, it's hard to say.

That would be like a squash school trying to prop itself up as a racquetball school to get more customers. The coach has never competed in any of squash's competitive circuit nor is recognized by any of squash's main governing bodies as a good coach. He then proceeds to charge 80 dollars a month to help you play a sport that was falsely advertised as something else and where he's only recognized by a fake governing body of the sport. He promises you to be a proficient player within a year and rushes you through tournaments that aren't recognized by the Olympic Athletic Committee, but rather, some made up committee like "The Midwestern Squash, Tennis and Walleyball association".
    This is assuming that you consider WTF TKD as "teh realz TKD." If those schools were claiming to teach Olympic WTF and then weren't associated with them or hold ranks with them, then yeah that's crap. But if they claim to teach TKD and have their own association and competitions, then so be it. And for the record, WTF/Kukkiwon is the worst thing that happened to KMA.

Our school would be like a qualified squash teacher that charges 30 dollars a month for a contract, who may make you go to many tournaments a year, much more than is needed to develop somebody into a good squash champion, but by the time you get to the expert level, you're nationally recognized by the governing bodies and you have an official world ranking.
    Again, to someone else, they may think of your organization the exact same way that you think of theirs. The Kukkiwon may be backed by the government, it may have a crapload of members, and it may hold Olympic skipkicking tagfests in giant maxipads, but that doesn't mean they're all not idiots. (minus Mav and Der of course, they're enlightened)

Pricing is 30 dollars a month for the entire shebang. It's in a contract, but the contracts aren't set in stone. If you have any problems living up to the deals of the contract, they'll tear it up.
    That's really good. 30 bucks a month for WTF TKD is not bad at all. I've seen places upwards of 200 bux a month.

As for the kicking soldiers off horses, that's pretty much been well addressed. Impossible, unless you are fighting in one of those bouncy carnival moonwalk things.

As for Choi being the founder, he was not. He came up with a name. KMA was well on its way to becoming fruitful after the liberation before Choi and his Oh Dope Kwan came in with its delusions of grandeur.
    Last edited by EternalRage; 10/28/2007 11:56pm at .

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 11:42pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    (minus Mav and Der of course, they're monks ffs)
    FFS = For ****'s Sake?

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 11:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yep

o mavs not a monk

well hes a philosopher of sorts

Posted On:
    10/29/2007 12:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And please do not try to objectify our female instructors. It's very rude. You wouldn't like it if your female instructors or students at your school were objectified like that, now would you.
    Sorry but the word is out...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast