218358 Bullies, 7535 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daGorilla
    <get wiki>

What is a wiki? Your lantern is almost out.

<get article>

I see no article here. Your lantern has extinguished. You are in the dark.

<click link>

I see no link here. You've been eaten by a grue.

The bad copy/paste monster strikes again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_Total_Fitness

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2007 9:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bally is the prototypical GloboGym. Makes sense that they would get into the McDojo business. It's a match made in heaven: ride the machines, then ride the krotty class. Maybe, just maybe question why you're still a fat shlub who gets winded by mowing the lawn even after six months of expensive "training".

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, had no idea Bally's was doing that. I'm going to have to check it out. there's one right up the road here...wonder if they give out belts :happy4:

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 12:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently, they say "TMA" means "Total Martial Arts." Has anyone participated in any of these classes across the nation? My inclination is to think that it is bullshido of an order only surpassed by yellow babmoo, Dillman and other chi deluded super power rangers that manage to survive in this dimension long enough for society to say "WTF?"

So, anybody go to a class?

Yes I have and it's been the best run of ANY TKD studio I've gone to. My contract ran out at Bally's and I was tempted to defect to another dojo in the area because I had McDojo paranoia, thinking that because my school fit SOME of the loose and not well defined criteria of "McDojo" how it was automatically a McDojo. What happened was I missed months of practice and I gained 30 lbs, and I wasted my time going to the REAL McDojos in the area and running out dissatisfied at the lack of skilled instructors and students they had at the school. None of them were WTF certified and nearly 80% of them advertised themselves as a "karate" school when they were a part of some esoteric TKD federation.

Now that I'm back in their studio, I've lost 30 lbs and I haven't been a better fighter since I've left the studio. My only regret is ducking out for so long.

I like how they made sure to hire only "authentic"-looking instructors. Probably they hired some caucasians, hispanics, and african-americans too, but they have to wear special masks while they teach.
    Actually, in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area, there is 1 West African and 1 African American teacher that's a certified WTF 3rd degree blackbelt.

Shows how much you know.

It's not cheap to go to Bally's. Plus, I think you have to pay more to do the MA class, but I'm not sure.
    It's 30 bucks a month. If you have a stable part time job, you can afford it.

According to the site, that seems true. They do provide their pricing structure for advanced (black belt) students:

Quote:
    Pricing/Sessions:
    Black Belt Instructor
    8 session package = $320 ( $40 per session )
    4 session package = $180 ( $45 per session )
    1 session = $50
    Master
    8 session package = $400 ( $50 per session )
    4 session package = $220 ( $55 per session )
    1 session = $60"

Congrats, you just mentioned the pricing for the private personal sessions. If a person goes to class more often, they wouldn't need to take time and energy away from these PART TIME tae kwon do instructors who have jobs on the side and take these lessons.

55 dollars a lesson is more than enough to pay one of the instructors to drive to your house and help you with the forms you missed because you decided to go drinking instead of attending classes.

Now pat yourself on the back for taking a pricing quote out of context.

This board seems to be focused on bashing other arts and schools (And without doing much research either) rather than being a real MA board.

-----------------------------------------

WTF Red Belt

I can't call myself this if my dojo isn't associated with the WTF

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 1:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdRedRainstor
    Yes I have and it's been the best run of ANY TKD studio I've gone to. My contract ran out at Bally's and I was tempted to defect to another dojo in the area because I had McDojo paranoia, thinking that because my school fit SOME of the loose and not well defined criteria of "McDojo" how it was automatically a McDojo.
    Care to elaborate what exactly made you think it was mcdojo?

None of them were WTF certified and nearly 80% of them advertised themselves as a "karate" school when they were a part of some esoteric TKD federation.
    You do know that TKD in its inception (and also somewhat today) was just repackaged Japanese/Okinawan Karate? To call it Korean Karate is not a stretch by any means... I hope WTF certification and a historically accurate label are not your only criterion for McDojo.

Actually, in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area, there is 1 West African and 1 African American teacher that's a certified WTF 3rd degree blackbelt.

Shows how much you know.
    Just a little weird that the only people they're showcasing on the website seem to be Korean...

It's 30 bucks a month. If you have a stable part time job, you can afford it.
    Is this on top of the Bally's membership? If you don't mind me asking, what is the total price per month?

Congrats, you just mentioned the pricing for the private personal sessions. If a person goes to class more often, they wouldn't need to take time and energy away from these PART TIME tae kwon do instructors who have jobs on the side and take these lessons.

55 dollars a lesson is more than enough to pay one of the instructors to drive to your house and help you with the forms you missed because you decided to go drinking instead of attending classes.

Now pat yourself on the back for taking a pricing quote out of context.
    No need to get so defensive. With TKD, the accepted norm on this forum is McDojo until proven innocent. And someone already pointed out that it's for the privates, thanks anyway.

This board seems to be focused on bashing other arts and schools (And without doing much research either) rather than being a real MA board.
    We're not a typical MA board. We're a martial arts board that roots out fraud and bullshit. TKD has a reputation for McDojos and Bullshido - we saw the Bally's TMA site, with it's typical nonsense about MA being more than fighting, with its lack of pricing info, and penchant for giving Koreans alot of bandwidth. Some of the members formed an opinion.

Granted, yeah, we should have done more research. Nice that you're here so we can get some more details. So I'd like to ask again what's the total price per month with Bally's membership (or without, it seems there are some options in terms of membership/enrollment). How long are the classes and also frequency? Also what are testing fees like?

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 10:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Care to elaborate what exactly made you think it was mcdojo?
    The fact that how it had more than the 8 standard belts of TKD They have 14 belts until you reach your first dan so that scared me off at first. I cannot defend the revenue rainbow tactics of the club there and I will not defend how they have 14 belts when WTF officially uses only 8 belt levels and the fact that you have to sign a contract with the club. But what made my mind change was how every Tae Kwon Do club I've went to after my planned defection offered black belts within a year, or their "black belts" knew (Pardon my French) jaques merde about martial arts.

You do know that TKD in its inception (and also somewhat today) was just repackaged Japanese/Okinawan Karate? To call it Korean Karate is not a stretch by any means... I hope WTF certification and a historically accurate label are not your only criterion for McDojo.
    Actually, the origins of TKD stem from a hybridization of Taekyon and Shotokan. And I know how in the early days of TKD, TKD was labeled Korean Karate when MA's were new to the general public. Some argue that it's just a variant of Shotokan but it's its own art in its own right.

And what made those clubs McDojos wasn't just the fact that they were labeling themselves as "karate" schools, but rather, they were calling themselves a school of an art that they weren't qualified to teach, charging 65 dollars a month to teach it, and then issuing black belts within a year.

That would be like a squash school trying to prop itself up as a racquetball school to get more customers. The coach has never competed in any of squash's competitive circuit nor is recognized by any of squash's main governing bodies as a good coach. He then proceeds to charge 80 dollars a month to help you play a sport that was falsely advertised as something else and where he's only recognized by a fake governing body of the sport. He promises you to be a proficient player within a year and rushes you through tournaments that aren't recognized by the Olympic Athletic Committee, but rather, some made up committee like "The Midwestern Squash, Tennis and Walleyball association".

When you get to the "expert" level of those fake tournaments within a year, he's bilked you out of a lot of dough and you're not recognized as a competitive level squash player. He's repeating the methods that are done by many squash coaches do to make more money. He would be the epitome of a McCoach.

Our school would be like a qualified squash teacher that charges 30 dollars a month for a contract, who may make you go to many tournaments a year, much more than is needed to develop somebody into a good squash champion, but by the time you get to the expert level, you're nationally recognized by the governing bodies and you have an official world ranking.

Pricing is 30 dollars a month for the entire shebang. It's in a contract, but the contracts aren't set in stone. If you have any problems living up to the deals of the contract, they'll tear it up.

And yes, I am defensive about my school, as should any serious MAist should be about their school (Unless it's ATA, there's no defense for ATA)

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 11:14am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdRedRainstor
    Actually, the origins of TKD stem from a hybridization of Taekyon and Shotokan.
    There is no direct Taegyeon influence in TKD. The founders who claimed to have studied Taegyeon have never been able to prove their claims, and even a cursory comparison of the technical matrices of TKD and Taegyeon show that aside from the fact that they both kick, there is no similarity. Taegyeon's kicking mechanics are completely different, and none of the factors supporting its kicking mechanics, footwork, etc, crossed over to TKD.

TKD is development upon Shorin-ryu based karate (not soley shotokan) with a heavier emphasis on kicking techniques.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 11:25am

Style: Taijutsu/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a reletive that works at Bally, she told me about something called "Kwando" which i think she also teaches... apparently its a combination of Krotty and TKD, but instead of self defense methods its used for more of an aerobic workout.

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 11:27am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    There is no direct Taegyeon influence in TKD. The founders who claimed to have studied Taegyeon have never been able to prove their claims, and even a cursory comparison of the technical matrices of TKD and Taegyeon show that aside from the fact that they both kick, there is no similarity. Taegyeon's kicking mechanics are completely different, and none of the factors supporting its kicking mechanics, footwork, etc, crossed over to TKD.

TKD is development upon Shorin-ryu based karate (not soley shotokan) with a heavier emphasis on kicking techniques.
    What do you think of the Female TKD instructor holding the sword?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 8:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    What do you think of the Female TKD instructor holding the sword?
    Do you want my professional opinion?:toothy5:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast