Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 11:07am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, standard TKD. Curious aboyt the belt system. What the heck is Deputy 1 - 4 in the TKD. I'm was thinking the I would see Sheriff 1 - 4 a little lower.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 12:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlord
    But, Master Yoda...I'm afraid.
    Oh.... Afraid are you?

You won't be
    You won't be...
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 9:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD/HKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am the Senior Ranked student in all of TMA. (if you exclude Instructors, masters, etc.) I have been with TMA since August of 1998. I am a 3rd Dan in TKD and a Deputy 2 belt in HKD. I am testing for 4th dan in 2009-2010 if I am ready.

All of the costs, contracts, and everything linked to TMA is controlled and decided by Bally's. TMA does not have anything to do with this expensive costs and contracts. Bally's I think is trying to completely destroy TMA. Bally's staff in each location are in charge of signing students up. I think that Bally's is the one that is Bullshido not TMA.

Before Bally's took control, TMA was so much cheaper by at least 65%. We had so many more students. The students at West Schaumburg (which is the oldest school), most of them have been with TMA at least 5-7 years. Most of the students who have stayed for a long time were with TMA before Bally's took complete control. (2000-2002). The ones who have stayed stay because of the quality of the masters, instructors, and TMA itself, and because of that they are making sure that no matter what the cost is, they still come to class. (dedication) Students wouldn't have stayed if the masters were poor.

Deputy belts are the belts between the low ranks and the Black Belts. They are not low belts but are not quite black belts either. Deputy belts are the Black Belt preparation belts. You review all of the old belt techniques, And the Deputy Belt tests themselves are designed to help students be fully prepared to test for Black belt. Black belt testing is extremely difficult. There is a written test that tests your knowledge of Korean Customs, TKD aspects, teaching techniques, kicks and punches correctly, and basic knowledge that real black belts need to know. There is also a stamina test which is not easy (believe me). They do not want black belts to be given to those who are not physically, mentally, socially, and spiritually ready.

Even though these tests are difficult, the masters help them be ready in advance, and because of that it is very rare for someone to fail the test. A master won't let them test unless they are sure that they are ready.

By the way, becoming 4th degree or 7th degree (etc.) does not automatically make you a mster, head master, or grandmaster, you have to pass the training, and be qualified to be promoted. The position has to be earned, it is not just given out. (unless Bally's gets involved obviously). The 3 years to become a black belt is the minimum length of time to become a black belt (kukkiwon regulations). All of the lengths of time to become the black belt ranks go by the Kukkiwon regulations.

The guarantee on the 3 years to become a black belt was written by bally's, not TMA. The pictures may be of TMA, but the writings on the website are by Bally's, not TMA.

The master with a sword is my master by the way. She may be cute, but I wouldn't get her mad.

The pricing is not what you think it is. The practice sessions are completely optional. What you Copy and pasted is the private lessons. (which never occur surprisingly).They actually don't have them anymore.

When students under 16 become black belts, they may be called dans in TMA, but in WTF/Kukkiwon they are still only pooms. They want students to all be considered equal black belts and not seperate pooms from Dans in classes, testings, and tournaments. Which I think is really smart. The parents are aware of that also.

If anyone has further questions, please let me know.

If I offend anyone, I appoligize, That is not the intention of this post. This post is to give the facts so that no one anywhere will think badly of TMA without knowing the truth about the organization.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 7:51pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those prices are ridiculous. Even at the cheapest, $40 a session, there's almost nothing I'd ever want to learn that I would pay that much for that could be taught in I'm guessing an hour. There's nothing TKD has to teach that I'd want to learn for that much if it took a month.
    If the prices are misrepresented, what are the real prices? You throw out a very accurate 65% but let's see something in dollars.
    Is it Ballys' mission to get people socially, spiritually and mentally fit? Does knowledge of Korean customs contribute greatly to one's ability to fight? (Of course, I guess it contributes to one's ability to not start fights with Koreans, which could be of some limited utility.)
    Bally's wrote the 3 year black belt guarantee. Do they enforce it also? If Bally's is coming in and granting rank to your students because it's demanded by their contract you guys are definitely getting a raw deal. Well, except for the unholy mountains of money you're getting for kids to come to your studio and scream while running in place, which seems to be the majority of their training according to the video linked from the site. You come out ahead there I believe.

poser

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:01pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your input, but it still sounds like a McDojo.

Where is your Total Martial Arts school, Renee2007?

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:08pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    West Schaumburg? That might be my area.

Bally's is currently bankrupt, if you guys didn't know.

poser

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:09pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overcharging isn't exactly a great way to get out of bankruptcy, though.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 12:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    West Schaumburg? That might be my area.

Bally's is currently bankrupt, if you guys didn't know.
    Here's the wiki article for those who want to read about it. Gotta love "aggressive accounting"!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 8:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Bally's has a professional TKD program. All of those gentlemen in the picture graduated from one of the top TKD colleges in Korea. The program is professionally run as a business.
    "They're Korean, of course they are martial arts masters!"

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 9:16am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Here's the wiki article for those who want to read about it. Gotta love "aggressive accounting"!
    <get wiki>

What is a wiki? Your lantern is almost out.

<get article>

I see no article here. Your lantern has extinguished. You are in the dark.

<click link>

I see no link here. You've been eaten by a grue.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast