Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 7:07pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another good drill is letting him jab the pad, and hit him on the side of the head with the other mitt. This requires that he doesn't hit the mitts cross wise like normal. So his (left) jab will hit the pad holders right hand, and padholder strikes to the side of the head at the same time.
    If he doesn't keep his hand up while he strikes, he gets smacked.
    Same can be done with crosses and hooks.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 9:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbah
    Another good drill is letting him jab the pad, and hit him on the side of the head with the other mitt. This requires that he doesn't hit the mitts cross wise like normal. So his (left) jab will hit the pad holders right hand, and padholder strikes to the side of the head at the same time.
    If he doesn't keep his hand up while he strikes, he gets smacked.
    Same can be done with crosses and hooks.
    Yes, this is a good drill. You can do the same sort of thing with a heavy bag workout, just have one guy stand behind the bag and throw looping hooks.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 11:04pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to have the glove against my cheek or chin during the punch, but actually TOUCHING your face is a little too close. Still, it basically cured me. I've heard of people being told to bite the thumbs of their gloves when not punching.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I have my gloves that close to my face I tend not to be able to see things coming. I seem to do best when I keep my gloves just close enough to where I can bring them back to my head to cover as needed.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 11:39pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to do best when watching from the stands. That way I have perfect visibility and zero percent chance of being hit.

Though this one time this guy bumped into me and it hurt real bad. I needed like... two band aids.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 11:46pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    When I have my gloves that close to my face I tend not to be able to see things coming. I seem to do best when I keep my gloves just close enough to where I can bring them back to my head to cover as needed.
    Touching your face seems to be a good approach since you can feel the contact and know where your hand is. If you don't touch your face your hand will still have the tendency to drift off. I tell people to touch the face until they get used to it. After correcting the habit its not necessary to touch the face anymore.

Another approach I've seen is to touch the side of the forehead. Does anyone else do this? This advice came from a damn good fighter so I'm not going to dispute it.

There is also the school of thought from people that focus on footwork and positioning. For people that are good in this area, dropping the hand won't be as much of a concern. The idea is to not be there to get hit as opposed to blocking an attack.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 9:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Holy crap ... a volleyball in the crook of the elbow????
    I think Tito Ortiz used that technique to help his fighters (specifically Mark Hamill, IIRC) in TUF.
    He demonstrated it using a basketball between shoulder and wrist, but he does have a gargantuan melon for a skull.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 9:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hands
    Another approach I've seen is to touch the side of the forehead. Does anyone else do this? This advice came from a damn good fighter so I'm not going to dispute it.
    I got into a habit of doing this to the point where I did it before and after every hand technique. Telegraph much? The only good thing was I started using it as a fake after I worked out why I was getting slapped around so much.
    I now try and keep my hands up, but pretty stationary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 4:22pm

Style: CQC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Currently I'm working on keeping the hand up.. suceeding mostly. Its generally on big dedicated punches that I do that.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast