Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 11:29pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Holy McDojo, Batman!

I was in my car this morning, listening to talk radio, when an interesting commercial came on. It began with some kung fu movie sound effects, followed by a voice-over asking, "Is this what you think of when you think of karate?"

My first thought was, "This can't possibly be a karate dojo advertizing on fucking talk radio, because that would be the most brazenly McDojo thing I've ever heard of." Unfortunately, I was wrong, and it was the most brazenly McDojo thing I'd ever heard of.

And if a karate dojo advertizing on talk radio (I keep hoping that that will magically start to look less ridiculous with repeated typings -- No luck so far) wasn't bad enough, it go worse. Much, much worse. You can listen to it yourself right here. My favorite part is when the announcer says "We don't waste time sparring or chasing trophies," with palpable disgust in his voice. Apparently, the very mention of sparring makes him ill.

I checked out their website when I got home, and my opinion didn't improve. At least they don't seem to have karate birthday parties. That counts for something... Right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 12:06am

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they don't "waste time" sparring, what do they spend it on instead? What exactly is their goal if not to teach people how to become proficient at using the techniques they teach? Perhaps it's all some sort of grand scheme to help the McDojos of the world phase out the party clown in favor of wrist locks and front kicks at kid's birthday parties?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 3:42am

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Atleast they weren't too expensive. But that is the only thing nice I can say about em.
    I'm an optimist, afterall.

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 4:38am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You too can be like : Sensei Phil Lard(tm)

From http://www.qualitykarate.com/MA1.htm

"The study of Shorin-Ryu Karate also has many other benefits. These include improved balance, concentration, self-confidence, endurance, agility, reflexes, strength, and thinking skills. Historically, the masters of Shorin-Ryu Karate have outlived their peers and practitioners of other martial art styles."

No need for the Ant1-Gr4appl3 or sparring when we're all gonna die first!
    Last edited by Red Sauce; 1/18/2007 4:40am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 6:16am

Style: Grappling & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From their website:

Competition/sparring, to the unknowledgeable, often appear to offer a measure of quality. This why many business-oriented studios emphasize it – It helps sales and makes students feel like they are learning and doing well. While sparring can be a useful training tool for higher ranked students under the right circumstances, emphasis on it, and particularly using sparring competition as a goal of training, has many negative effects which severely limit training quality. Part of what karate training does is teach the body a way to react that is not built-in, or innate. Sparring competition, instead of cultivating a highly effective, non-innate way to react in a self-defense situation, accentuates less effective, mostly innate skills and develops downright dangerous habits for self-defense. These include training only to react when ready, concentrating on only a single opponent, and relying only on punching and kicking or only on grappling depending on the martial arts style. Further, holding competition as the goal often results in teachers, students and the style itself not looking out for, or even harming, the long-term health of the students.
    http://www.qualitykarate.com/EWKDifference.htm

Reading this gives me a headache.:BangHead:
    ---
    Last edited by Motor; 1/18/2007 6:23am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:05am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dear god...

Techniques include:

Escapes
    Restraints
    Throws
    Strikes
    Kicks
    Joint locks
    Pressure points
    Defense against weapons
    And beyond...

As bad as that list is - it's the AND BEYOND that frightens me most...
    Last edited by El-Wood; 1/18/2007 8:08am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:39am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    on a brighter note - he does indeed seem to have a real honest to god PhD - how frightening is that...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KFM, BJJ, Mantis KF, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Most of the heads of these “traditional” styles did not experience these higher levels of training in the traditional way. Instead, being the most skilled in an unskilled country, these individuals started teaching as if they were masters." http://www.qualitykarate.com/EWKDifference2.htm

Does this sound a little hypocritical to you? Or are they implying that they too did not experience "training in the traditional way?"

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fred Villari's McDojos were advertising on "local access"--those dark, dark days before cable.

Showed you what to do if attacked by t3h d34dly overhead plumb blossom sword.

--J.D.