1/19/2007 12:44am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Cesar
    WOW, look at this little gem I just found :

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Hapk...e=UTF8&s=books

New king of pics of dissaster?
    Listen you dumb fucker! This is not about Crap-kido this thread is specifically about the book I cited when I started the thread. If you find yourself confused read more or start your own fucking thread.

TKD

PS - Anyone care to try and explain the 'why' behind a book like this?

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 12:47am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    PS - Anyone care to try and explain the 'why' behind a book like this?
    Which book? The TKD one or the HKD one?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 12:59am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God dammit Der! Why do you always have to derail my threads with statements like that!
    Because I :love7: you.

For the record, Gen Choi was not the only person in charge of creating patterns and refining the art. There was a number of people under him who were adding, changing and modifying as the sport grew and developed. One of these people was GM Park Jung Tae. I can say with a great amount of personal experience that throws and grappling where not taught in TKD curriculum in ITF (the group which Gen Choi headed up for a long time) and GTF (which was GM Park's org.)
    Agreed. From what I've been told, Choi actually had very little to do with the creation of "HIS" tuls.

Can you go back and look at a movement and transpose another on top of it? Sure. Does that make it the right interpretation? Not always.
    Reverse engineering at best, trying to see something that's not there at worst.

Wait for my book.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 1:30am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Because I :love7: you.
    I love you too, in a manly way though...... :love9:

Now that's about as gay as say two TKD BB's talking about _ing _un!

not quite this gay though, we'd have to be discussing Fang Shen Do for that to happen......

Agreed. From what I've been told, Choi actually had very little to do with the creation of "HIS" tuls.
    Yeah Park JT gets the credit for a large percentage of the tuls which is funny considering people look at Choi's background and assume that he's the motivating factor behind the Karate similarities. FYI Park was one of the few people early on in TKD who stressed cross training and the similarities, if any, can be ascribed back to him not Choi. (I'll save the rest of my argument on this subject as I could easily go on for a while......)

Reverse engineering at best, trying to see something that's not there at worst.
    - LOL, ain't that the truth. Now if this book was about "Sexy TKD Female Black Belts and the men who love them." I'd be the one writing the introduction......

Wait for my book.
    - Der's Big Book of TKD? Isn't that the one I got my Black Belt with? By the by, wearing lipstick and kissing the page doesn't count as an autographed copy ;)

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 6:28am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding
    Po Eun has two low side kicks. There are no high side kicks. Kwang Gye has two double side kicks and two front kicks.

The white zone is for loading and unloading of passangers. There is no parking in the red zone.

Yes, you are right. I stand corrected. Poeun has the two low kicks, because its mostly hand techniques. Kwang Gye is the one I meant. I have all these stupid ass patterns in my head , and I get them confruseddedd sometimes.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 7:08am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, to prevent thread drift, can someone with some actual knowledge (i.e. DerAus or TKD, not someone who was just told something by their instructor) care to give the rest of us a brief history lesson about TKD patterns. All I'm aware of is that supposedly they are all just sloppily done Shotokan kata. Shotokan guys I used to cross train with used to find the trips to TKD clubs amusing and tragic in equal parts.

Are there TKD patterns that are direct copies of Karate kata? Are all of them copies? Or are there some original to TKD? Does Anslow's book talk about the patterns that supposedly based on Karate?

If I remember correctly Anslow has a great deal of video on his site including him teaching some of his interpretations of the pattern movements. There's definitely some on one of the US visit tapes.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 8:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    Which brings us back to what TKDers here keep trying to explain: with the exception of the WTF Olympic style schools, rarely are two TKD schools alike.
    You have t3h c0rr3ct.

I am not WTF, but we did learn the Tae gyuk forms. We are an offshoot fo ATF.

I had to learn the meanings of each form. Kind of cool, but gay in a way.

Chon-ji....Literally means heaven and earth....etc etc etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 8:49am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bottomline is, does it matter whether TKD does have those patterns that really has grappling application (standing or ground)?

TKD can have all the grappling techniques it wants but if it's not trained, sparred, in live manner...well it'll still suck.

Think of typical Hapkido dojang in US...I know and I've seen them have Judo techniques but they still pretty much suck and we all the reason why. Not because technique isn't sound, but because it's trained like Aikido without real resistence.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 9:01am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    I tried to do this earlier today.

Wasnt pretty.
    I'm assuming you threw it like a jump 360 roundhouse, but threw an axe kick instead of the round kick?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 9:43am

Style: Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi TKD Black Belt/TKDork,

I saw you post on the IAOMAS forum, so came here as you ask.

Apparently there is a hidden meaning to the TKD patterns.
    The book doesnt claim "secret" techniques, just more realistic ones. "Hae Sul" means an indepth analysis which is exactly what the book does. Examines, analyises and researches the patterns & their movements based on TKD history.

What I love is that for the most part it seems to be an attempt to apply currently 'hot' topics in MAs to patterns without taking into consideration the fact that the techniques shown aren't taught in TKD.
    Im not sure what 'hot topics' you refer to, but techniques like throws and take downs have always been in TKD, in fact they appear in Gen Choi's 1st book (1965). The fact that they are not taught at many schools doesnt mean they arnt part of TKD, just that a certan school isnt teaching them! FWIW, Ive been running my school since 1999 and have always taught throws, take downs etc and although not originally part of TKD - groundwork! The idea being that we cover all the ranges as best we can, I dont claim our throws are better than judo etc., in fact I tell my students that if they want them really good, then it best to go to a school that trains them a lot more often than we can, ie. a judo instructor! this is the same with other elements we teach.

I mean I could random pick things out of TKD and say they were originally intended for kicking men off horses or fighting bulls!
    You could, but my research didnt do this, in fact it does completely the opposite!

The best part is that some slap nut TKD instructor with a few bucks and maybe a weekend seminar in Thai-Jitsu will be claiming to teach 'the deadly grappling'. After all if he's already been doing the patterns for 15 years he must actually know the technique.
    Im not sure if you are refering to me there (as i dont have a slaphead or a few bucks!), but look around and you will see there are many instructors in many styles doing this already (Bullshido often has threads on them I believe - exposing them). The book works from withinside the art in an effort to make the whole system more productive for those that learn it and I do find it funny that you go by the name "TKD Black Belt" but when something comes along that could make the art a little better, you berate it! - why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungkorn Dam
    Everything I've ever read about Stuart Anslow suggests he's a very competent Martial Artist. I *believe* he's been cross training in grappling for some time also.
    Thanks, I try my best. For the record I dont cross train regulary (ie. Train TKD 3 nights, Judo 2 nights etc.) but do train with many IAOMAS members as often as possible, be they TKD or BJJ or JJ etc. Im a martial artist first & foremost and love them all. We do grapplng in my own school and have done for years, its not all grappling and I wouldnt go toe to toe on the mats with a BJJ black belt, but it serves its purpose as far as training students go (ie. what to do when they go to the ground).

Stuart
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast