KICKS

hook
    round
    crescent
    side
    snap
    twist
    axe (thanks babo78)

all of the above kicks are also taught in a "jumping mode" and a "spinning" mode (except axe)

for example. jump(flying) side kick. Or spinning hook kick. or even jump spinning hook kick. The variations are endless, and are actively taught.

You can add jump, spinning, or both to almost any kick in TKD.

HAND

knife
    ridge
    jab (punch)
    cross (punch)
    spear
    hammer fist
    back fist

*note* jab and cross are two variations of a straight punch.

Variation- spinning pack fist

about 8 in all, hand techniques

I am not sure where he comes up with his thoughts on there being more punches than kicks. Can anyone quote the book for me?
    Actually, I night believe him if he's refering to old school TKD. IANAE but my understanding of it was that the jump and spin variants on the kicks you mention wheren't relly part of traditional TKD whereas there are loads of weird variants of hand techniques and theres that whole buisness of the strikes that are disguised as blocks, possibly disguised by Ninja's as there disguise was so cunning that since then thousands of practitioners of TKD round the world have been tricked into believing them to be blocks.

Plus theres all the standardised self defence stuff including standing joint locks in the original TKD encyclopedia, those might be classed as hand techniquies.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:56am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Oh reeeaaalllly?

[COLOR=#ffffff]all of the above kicks are also taught in a "jumping mode" and a "spinning" mode (except axe)
    I actually was taught a jump spinning axe while in Korea. So add it to your list.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 9:32am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm. The most I can remember about the pattern meanings is that each hyung(sp?) was supposed to "draw" a symbol on the floor when done correctly. I can't remember what the symbols were or what they mean. I learned this from my first instructor but that aspect was left out when the organization "upgraded" to Mcdojo status under a different instructor. We did the chang hun patterns from the ITF and you could count on one hand the number of kicks in most of the forms. I remember getting to BB and thinking the patterns would have some awesome kicks in them. Nope. Poeun (sp?) had 2 kicks in it and they were low sidekicks. I am not versed on the 2 new form sets but I believe they have more kicks in them. I laugh a little ever time how I use to think what I was doing was t3h d34dly thank the whatever you believe in above for the UFC, Gracie and Judo.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 9:37am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Own up. Who is tkdork on their forum?
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 10:23am

Style: ITF Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely all of the blocks count as hand techniques even though they are with the arm?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 10:29am

Style: ITF Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the first 7 ITF Tuls. 199 techniques, 17 (I could be wrong, I'm trying to count in my head) of which are kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 10:47am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Which forum?!?

TKD
    Just FYI, there's at least one member you want to keep in mind there... :)

http://www.iaomas.com/11259.htm

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 10:59am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b
    Just FYI, there's at least one member you want to keep in mind there... :)

http://www.iaomas.com/11259.htm
    I assume you are referring to everyone's favourite Fangers.

I have been meaning to mention this on the main thread. Under the terms of the IAOMAS (Which they've already broken by not having a linked logo on their site) if one of your clubs joins then you can go and train at FSD for two weeks FOR FREE. I don't expect them to uphold this so reporting it would remove the source of free advertising.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    I actually was taught a jump spinning axe while in Korea. So add it to your list.

I tried to do this earlier today.

Wasnt pretty.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkartigue
    Hmmm. The most I can remember about the pattern meanings is that each hyung(sp?) was supposed to "draw" a symbol on the floor when done correctly.
    This is what I was told too.

I can't remember what the symbols were or what they mean. I learned this from my first instructor but that aspect was left out when the organization "upgraded" to Mcdojo status under a different instructor. We did the chang hun patterns from the ITF and you could count on one hand the number of kicks in most of the forms.
    Yeah, for a "kicking" art I dont remember very many kicks in patterns either.

I remember getting to BB and thinking the patterns would have some awesome kicks in them. Nope. Poeun (sp?) had 2 kicks in it and they were low sidekicks. I am not versed on the 2 new form sets but I believe they have more kicks in them. I laugh a little ever time how I use to think what I was doing was t3h d34dly thank the whatever you believe in above for the UFC, Gracie and Judo.
    Poeun has four kicks in it. Low side kick, high side kick (double kick) I hate it. Gayest pattern out there, right after, toi-gye. Mountain blocks FTW.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast