Page 1 of 21 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 10:33pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The 'real meaning' of TKD patterns......

Apparently there is a hidden meaning to the TKD patterns.

What I love is that for the most part it seems to be an attempt to apply currently 'hot' topics in MAs to patterns without taking into consideration the fact that the techniques shown aren't taught in TKD. I mean I could random pick things out of TKD and say they were originally intended for kicking men off horses or fighting bulls!

The best part is that some slap nut TKD instructor with a few bucks and maybe a weekend seminar in Thai-Jitsu will be claiming to teach 'the deadly grappling'. After all if he's already been doing the patterns for 15 years he must actually know the technique.

TKD

PS - Thai-Jitsu just randomly selected off the top of my head.

PPS - Just incase you wanted to make your head pound and your eyes bleed.....
    Last edited by TKD Black Belt; 1/17/2007 10:38pm at .

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 10:46pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're talking about the Anslow book then he's the founder of IAOMAS and regularly posts on their forum if you wanted to debate it with him.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 12:18am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which forum?!?

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 12:44am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ratio of hand to kick techniques in TKD may be "8 to 1"... but the ratio of techniques EVER FUCKING USED by TKD fighters is more to the tune of 0 to infinite value.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 2:57am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually...TKD Black Belt...you and Anslow would probably get along pretty well.

And as for his book, it's pretty well researched.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 4:38am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything I've ever read about Stuart Anslow suggests he's a very competent Martial Artist. I *believe* he's been cross training in grappling for some time also.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 6:19am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Which forum?!?

TKD
    http://iaomas1.proboards14.com/index.cgi

Although I think the process needs some refining, the IAOMAS organisation that he founded (International Alliance of Martial Arts Schools) allows for a great deal of cross training. Here he and Bullshido tend to agree. Unfortunately his organisation appears to be stuck with that "Respect all martial artists and their styles" rubbish that could leave the organisation open to abuse.

I haven't read the book, TKD Patterns just don't do it for me, but as far as I'm aware he's always been open about what he trains in and what he knows. I'm sure he'd actually answer any questions you have either here or on the IAOMAS forums.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 7:26am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taekwon-do is often cited as being mainly a kicking art, but in actual fact is has many more hand techniques than kicks, at a guess I would say the hand techniques out number the leg techniques by around 8 to 1 (I once read there are over 2000 hand techniques, but I've never actually counted them to verify this).

Oh reeeaaalllly?

Lets see...

KICKS

hook
    round
    crescent
    side
    snap
    twist
    axe (thanks babo78)

all of the above kicks are also taught in a "jumping mode" and a "spinning" mode (except axe)

for example. jump(flying) side kick. Or spinning hook kick. or even jump spinning hook kick. The variations are endless, and are actively taught.

You can add jump, spinning, or both to almost any kick in TKD.

HAND

knife
    ridge
    jab (punch)
    cross (punch)
    spear
    hammer fist
    back fist

*note* jab and cross are two variations of a straight punch.

Variation- spinning pack fist

about 8 in all, hand techniques

I am not sure where he comes up with his thoughts on there being more punches than kicks. Can anyone quote the book for me?
    Last edited by HonkyTonkMan; 1/18/2007 8:10am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:00am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Oh reeeaaalllly?

Lets see...

KICKS
    Axe kick? Would that count?

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    Axe kick? Would that count?
    I had forgotten that one. Yes...Axe kick. Thank you.
Page 1 of 21 1 234511 ... LastLast