Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 4:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Billy Blanks' Olympic Claims?

I am sure that you all know (and hate) Billy for his late night infomercials.

However, his website claims that he was "Captain" of the 1980 US Olympic Karate team, that he won the 1984 Massachusetts Golden Gloves Championships, and the Tri State Golden Gloves Champion of Champions.

Now, you might or might not know that Karate was not, nor ever has been, an Olympic sport. Their was a brief push by several organizations to give it Olympic status in the early 1980's. I have contacted both the USOC and US Karate, but neither organization has been able to prove or disprove this claim.

Now, to me, this is an easily disprovable lie. I know that most people already consider Blanks a fraud, but, if he has consistently lied about his accomplishments, I would like to verify that, as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and if anyone is interested, I have a 1980 paperback version of "Chris Hunter's" Book of the Ninja. It's a great laugh. I would scan and post pictures of Kata Dante, but the warning at the front of the book tells me that I will be haunted by an evil spirit if I do.

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 4:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and if this isn't the right forum for this thread, I am sorry. You can move it.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 10:41pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The other problem with this is that the U.S. boycotted the 1980 games.

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 11:10pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Billy Blanks isn't going to kick chuck lidells ass or anything but I wouldn't say he is a fraud. after all he was working the corner of James tony for the tony vs. peter fight.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 11:15pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is my favorite billy blanks video ever. Soooooo much better than the stuff he sells.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hiUHoCzzs[/media]

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 11:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    The other problem with this is that the U.S. boycotted the 1980 games.
    While that's true, the US still had qualifiers and fielded Olympic teams. They just didn't get to go to the Olympics.

And, Monk, I agree that Blanks was an accomplished martial artist. I simply said that "most people" consider him a fraud, because of his Taebo crap. But, his work in the Toney camp appears to be a joke. Toney came in in WORSE shape than the last time, weighed more, and Blanks was giving advice in the corner, and it was bad advice. No disgrace to work with a guy who loses a big fight, though.

However, I am extremely curious to find out if he is a liar. The Massachusetts golden gloves thing might be difficult to prove, or disprove, because most states keep awful records for that sort of thing. But verifying the captain of an Olympic team seems to be an easy thing to verify.

Thanks for the responses.
    Last edited by Edsel Table; 1/16/2007 11:32pm at .

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 10:05am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't it an excibition event at 3 olympics??? I could have swore they did it at least twice. Excibition teams are a complete different animal compaired to regula official olympic sport teams. They are basically a group of people from a few countries trying to drum up support for the addition of a new event. No national level elimination events for team selection. It just about amounts to saying "Hey I want in". Back in those days the olymipc commitee was alot more stict on thier amateur staus requirements to. So most profesional MAist couldn't even be considered. I know people give Blanks crap now for Taebo but when it came out is was "tha ****" and sold like crazy. If you had a gimmick you knew would sell like crazy you'd probably sell that bitch to everybody and thier syphlitic sisters. He took advantage of a situation and made a pile of cash off of it. Now letting it go to his head was his fault.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 12:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taiji, Chang Moo Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nice one wolf...

That video of Blanks getting KTFO is going to replace the whale in my nightmares... just kidding, anywho, that is hilarious. I guess James Toney didn't see it before inviting Blanks to be in his corner, 'cause if I had, I'd tell him to stay far away from my corner. I can't stop laughing :icon_smil.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 12:52pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Karate has never been an Olympic demonstration sport - so that might be a hurdle for captaining the team. The 1980 Summer Olympics (Moscow, boycotted per previous posters) demo'd Sambo.
    TKD demo'd in 1988 and 1992. Savate was 1924. So, assuming the USA wasn't the only team involved in the demonstration IF it'd been going to demo in 1980 it would have with or without the USA.

EDIT:
    Although the WKF is an Olympic recognized federation - which is basically all about promoting Olympic spirit, staying connected to sports and presumably opening the option to even (one day) be a demonstration sport. - i.e. as a federation you have to administer your member organizations and competitions in a certain way, drug testing, etc.
    Last edited by Marrt; 1/17/2007 12:58pm at .

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Billy don't be a hero . . . Turn on cable television lately and it seems you can't miss the infomercial for Billy Blanks' Tae-Bo Workout. Tae-Bo, a clever combination of aerobics, boxing and taekwando, is the latest fitness fad for the fit and flabby. With a score of celebrities testifying to the transforming powers of Blanks' patented workout, sales of the Tae-Bo instructional videos have exploded with revenue estimated as high as $100 million. Blanks' infomercial co-host is 1988 Olympic swimming medalist Dara Torres. In the first version of the infomercial, Torres appeared on camera accompanied by a graphic of the Olympic rings. Blanks, who jealously guards the intellectual property of Tae-Bo, even going so far as to include an "Illegal Use of Tae-Bo Name Reporting Form" on the official Tae-Bo Web site, appears to have been a bit lax when it came to using the Olympic rings. Seems that Tae-Bo used the Olympic rings without license or permission. Chester Wheeler at the United States Olympic Committee, which owns rights to Olympic symbols in this country, told SportsLetter that the Tae-Bo folks were informed and willingly removed the rings from the infomercial. Of course, this isn't the only alleged unauthorized use of intellectual property by Tae-Bo. Boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard has sued the Tae-Bo tapes marketer for using his name without permission.

Add Billy . . . In a recent Los Angeles Times article (March 3, 1999) Blanks touts Tae-Bo as "the exercise of the new millennium," claiming that "people are looking for the truth." Perhaps Blanks should set himself free with the truth about himself. Blanks' bio on the Tae-Bo Web site claims that he was the "captain of the 1980 Olympic karate team." That would be impossible since karate never has been an Olympic sport. Blanks also claims to have been the 1984 Massachusetts and Tri-State Golden Gloves champion. Bill Hoar, the tournament director of the New England Golden Gloves, told SportsLetter that he can find no record of Blanks winning a Golden Gloves crown. A recent Boston Globe article by Will McDonough came to the same conclusion. Several people whom SportsLetter contacted spoke well of Blanks, but seemed puzzled at the exaggeration of his already impressive accomplishments.
    http://www.aafla.org/10ap/SportsLetter/sl599_.htm
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast