Sponsored Links Spacer Image

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 11:11pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tendonitis in my elbows. Anyone else deal with this?

So ever since playing baseball and rugby in high school (graduated almost 9 years ago) I have the occasional bouts with tendonitis in my elbows. Lately the left one has been the biggest problem. Does anyone else deal with this? It really flares up during boxing. Any suggestions?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 12:30am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For general tendonitis anti-inflammatories ie. ibuprofen work well in the short term, but you can't use them long term. A good alternative are proteolytic enzymes like serrapepidase, bromelain and papain (Most of these need to be enteric coated to be effective for tendonitis). I also recommend glucosamine and msm. Depending on the particular tendon that is affected, you can sometimes relieve pain with one of those tennis-elbow straps.

It's probably not just the boxing that is affecting your elbows, other things may be contributing too... I found that chinups used to make my elbow really bad until I stopped relaxing at the bottom of each rep and instead maintained tension in my arm muscles. Maybe you are doing some other movements that are aggravating it?

Also make sure you aren't overextending when you punch, you need to be careful with moves like spinning backfists too, they can suck for your elbows if you have big gloves on and miss..

Obviously none of this should be taken as medical advice...
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgot to add, bromelain and papain enhance the absorbtion of msm and glucosamine, so I think it's a good idea to take them together. I'd be careful if you are taking any other drugs with it as it might increase the absorbtion of those too or be contraindicated.

Did a quick search on google and this is what I came up with:
    Antibiotics (amoxicillin, tetracycline): Concomitant use of bromelain and amoxicillin or tetracycline have been reported to increase the serum levels of these antibiotics.

Anticoagulants (e.g., warfarin): Bromelain may enhance the anticoagulant activity of such drugs as warfarin.

Antithrombotic agents (e.g., aspirin): Bromelain may enhance the antithrombotic activity of such drugs as aspirin.
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 9:23am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks. I had been told to give glucosamine and msm a try, but hadn't gotten around to getting some yet. I do use a neoprene elbow wrap, which usually does help, but it hasn't these last couple of days. I'll look into some of the other stuff as well. thanks again.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 9:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure it's tendonitis and not cubital tunnel syndrome (like carpal tunnel, but in the elbow instead of the wrist). They use a little electric jolt to see how fast your nerves conduct electricity (it's not painful and really kinda neat). If the nerve is compressed (like my left one was), you can either stop doing MA or have surgery. I had the surgery.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ballistic shock of punching can aggravate this. Assuming it's tendinitis, it usually comes from too much, too soon.

An epicondylitis clasp, better known as a tennis elbow brace, isn't expensive, so it's is probably worth trying. It worked for me.

Then again, I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), so it could be cancer. Rub some dirt on it... or actually go talk to a doctor.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 9:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The cubital tunnel syndrome, by the way, is frequently called 'golf elbow' and effects the inside of the elbow instead of the outside, like tennis elbow.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 12:06pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is definitely the outside of my elbow that is affected so I'm pretty sure it's tendonitis. Thanks for the input everyone.