Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:25am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hwang's Martial Arts Offering "Fitness MMA " in KY area locations .

Well I was looking through a local parenting magazine and saw an add for the McDojo I used to train ( term usedly loosely ) at .

Just your normal conservitive propoganda and local buisnesses writing plugs for themselves under the guise of parenting tips . I was having my normal synical giggle about it when I saw this little tid bit .

• it clearly states it is a "fitness program" not a martial art class ;
    • it clearly states you will be learning Kickboxing , Boxing , BJJ , TKD , Muay Thai and judo training methods and techniques .
    • there is no mention of new instrutors or coaches .
    • the instructors that are their might be qualified to teach TKD , Judo , and TKD techinques and training methods . But I know for a fact no one there is certified in M.T. or B.J.J.

The main reason this is bothering me is becouse of the large numbers of people I have talked to recently who wanted to check it out thinking it was ACTUAL MMA training .

Anyone have any comments or suggestions ?

I will be going to ask the head instructor Jason about this come Monday . I would like it if you all could help me get my head straight and come up with some legit questions , or tell me if I am purely pulling at straws on this one .
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 1/07/2007 1:49am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:30am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arson. Definitely arson.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Arson. Definitely arson.
    Not only am I not qualified in Arsonjitsu ... I don't think the school closest to me is that fucked up . While I was there I respected my instructor highly , simply becouse he never bullshited me , let me out of a contract becouse I felt as if I wasn't getting what I need , was a good martial artist and never tried to teach me things he didn't know / wasn't qualified in .

So Arson is out .

BUT , I will be checking into this and am hoping some people who aren't personaly involved in the issue will be able to give me more direct and to the point questions .

I hope to keep Jason as a friend after this investigation , by only asking valid direct questions , and presenting a good case , all while leaving the **** slinging out of it .Of course this hinges on his continued honesty with me .

So any other suggestion ?

And if anyone is wondering ... Jason can take me . A challenge match no matter how amusing will not solve the issues at hand ... at least not that I can see being that I have very little BJJ and MT training .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:07am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just ask him who is teaching the class. if it's a new name to you, ask who this new guy is and where he learned his stuff.

beyond that, i'd say just deal with him as your friend. tell him you were surprised to see them offering MMA.

you might even act interested in the class, so you can ask a lot of questions about what actually gets taught in those 40 minutes.

that's how i'd go about it, anyway. i imagine you'll get a lot more information if you keep a friendly and curious tone than an accusatory one.

you can accuse them here later, after your phone call. =D

p.s. if you ask him about his MMA class, and he is like "oh no it's MMA fitness!!," by which he means cardio kickboxing, i will probably die.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:29am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are people are actually stupid enough to sign up for an "MMA" class at a dojo (if you want to call it that) whose repertoire is based on "New PiYo", "TurboKick", TKD, and kids birthday parties?

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:31am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    double post
    Last edited by Eldarbong; 1/07/2007 2:38am at .

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:39am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While MMA sparring certainly is about the hardest workout ever I don't think thats what they have in mind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    Are people are actually stupid enough to sign up for an "MMA" class at a dojo (if you want to call it that) whose repertoire is based on "New PiYo", "TurboKick", TKD, and kids birthday parties?
    i think the answer to any question that begins "are people actually stupid enough to..." is always yes.

:jihad1:

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 4:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    just ask him who is teaching the class. if it's a new name to you, ask who this new guy is and where he learned his stuff.

beyond that, i'd say just deal with him as your friend. tell him you were surprised to see them offering MMA.

you might even act interested in the class, so you can ask a lot of questions about what actually gets taught in those 40 minutes.

that's how i'd go about it, anyway. i imagine you'll get a lot more information if you keep a friendly and curious tone than an accusatory one.

you can accuse them here later, after your phone call. =D

p.s. if you ask him about his MMA class, and he is like "oh no it's MMA fitness!!," by which he means cardio kickboxing, i will probably die.
    They havee a Cardio-kickboxing class called "turbo kicks" .

I will be friendly with Jason when I go down there and have a chat with him . atleast untill I see that he is dogding direct questions . Or being dishonest . I will problably wait till tuesday and show up myself for the class .
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ctually Ive been thinking about a real cardio kickboxing class recently, a cardio class that focuses on bagwork and drills instead of air punching. I think there could be a real market for that.

If thats what they mean more power to them.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast