Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Considering Styles

Hello, I actually don't have a particular style but I thought judo might be a start I should consider for school; although, I already visited a Systema school. My purpose is quite simply to know to defend myself. I got mugged last Monday, and this site was referred to in subfighter.com, which I visited along with other sites that give information on martial arts.

I picked judo because (1) the site doesn't allow me to enter nothing, and (2) the article on judo on this site is quite interesting. But I am seriously considering it. Along with it I am considering Muay Thai, jiu jitsu, and Sambo/Sytema.

All the best to everyone, especially this site. Thank you all.

TibayDangal

OmegaBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BULL RUSH ON TibayDangal!!!

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is a fine choice, as is Muay Thai or Sambo.

Systema isn't worth a wank

Welcome to bullshido...I'm going to bed now so play nicely

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judo is great for SD but i also recommend taking something that will inviolve being hit in the face. learning how to respond to that is very important. boxing or MT is a good choice

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is a good start; teaches balance, throws and groundwork. Might want to cross train in BJJ later for more groundwork but if you have a good Judo school there should be more than enough grappling. MT is a good idea, you can cross now if you have the time and want to get a striking art in there. If you decide to cross-train I suggest a gym like Ronin Atheletics, Straightblast Intnl, basically an MMA gym that has trainers from different styles and rents em space).

Sambo is based on Judo and either is good at what it does though I tried both and like Judo more besides the fact that it is easier to find affiliation in Judo. Sambo is not the same thing as Systema though and my advise to you would be to STAY AS FAR AS POSSIBLE AWAY FROM SYSTEMA. If you're curious why I dislike Systema so much run Systema in the search and see what threads pop up.

About the mugging...if the person has a weapon I think you're better off handing over your wallet. Was that the case?

Also can you be more specific about which Judo article you are talking about?
    Last edited by FUNKtastic; 1/13/2007 3:38am at .

Style
    judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the confirmation of judo, guys.

The article about judo I was referring to was http://www.bullshido.com/articles/judo-6.html

About the mugging, well, the man was perhaps 40 lbs heavier than I, and it's been a long time since I do some weight, mostly on my arms and chest, and chiefly just to impress my would be wife. He is probably 3-4 inches taller than me. He didn't have any weapon (thank God for that). I didn't look at his face (he was hooded) but my eyes were on his right hand since he got my right arm grabbed already. I was in a good while at the bottom in our struggle. Yes, we wrestled. I got him clipped on the neck with my two legs, and I thought, maybe he'll get to hit my private parts, so I loosen up. My mistake, of course, since I now know that it would render him unconscious, and if I waited long enough a couple passed by. This is a case of not knowing self-defense.

TibayDangal

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're interested in ground wrestling, since this is what your mugging involved, I would suggest bjj over judo. Bjj and judo are very similar, but bjj puts more of an emphasis on groundwork while judo puts an emphasis on throws. But I agree with alex; If I were really interested in self defense I would train in muay tai or MMA. I feel like many would be attackers can be given pause by a couple quick shots to the face, at least long enough for you to get away.

And like everyone else said, Systema is silly.

Style
    Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if u happen to find an MMA gym in your area thats convinient to attend, that would be a good start to.

cause you get to learn groundfighting, striking, an throws all rolled up into one bundle of a bargain treat

like the others said......avoid systema like the plague

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goosetherumfoodle
    If you're interested in ground wrestling, since this is what your mugging involved, I would suggest bjj over judo. Bjj and judo are very similar, but bjj puts more of an emphasis on groundwork while judo puts an emphasis on throws. But I agree with alex; If I were really interested in self defense I would train in muay tai or MMA. I feel like many would be attackers can be given pause by a couple quick shots to the face, at least long enough for you to get away.

And like everyone else said, Systema is silly.
    Still, for what he described (the mugging) I say Judo cuz he would have throw the guy down and gotten away ideally.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ Pretty much what FUNK said. It will be very unlikely that a random mugger would pose a challenge enough to require the deep, nitty gritty ground details our Undead God Helio, Lord Of The Mats, has bestowed upon us from the land the Brazilian bikini wax.

I'd go for Judo, just because of the throws, or BJJ if he trains it with a few good and takedowns here and there. You don't the whole nagewaza to throw an average mugger. Just a good, solid simple throw or takedown whored it to infinity would do.

Oh what the hell, TibayDangal, you will do fine with Judo, MT, Boxing, Sambo, BJJ or MMA. And if time, $$$ and inclination is with you, cross train if you can. But it goes without saying:

THOU SHALL NOT DO SYSTEMA!!!!! :biblethum:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Page 1 of 2 12 Last